The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (J-E-T-S)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 7, 2010
      The Good
      - Has anyone been playing better than Tommy? He is just amazing and has to be the favorite for MVP. There isn't even a close 2nd at this point. He just understands the defense and always makes the adjustments to the play or protection to execute properly. No instance is better than the 4th and 3 pass to Branch. I called the formation (shotgun, 3 WR, 1 TE, Woodhead in backfield). Jets show all out blitz. Instead of rolling protection to the backfield, Brady sends Woodhead to the slot and adjusts the routes and protections. Woodhead runs out, clearing the middle for the Branch jab step outside and the slant. That was all fine but look at the rest of the positioning. Light is responsible for that side and turns his guy inside and seals the corner. Instead of sending the 3 out on the other side, all stay in and block with one releasing late. Brady had all day to throw because of the Gronkowski/Tate/Welker blocking and Light holding the corner. Spectacular.
      - Woodhead is amazing. He always, always falls forward, runs hard and stays with every play. Coming back to block on the Branch TD was just him doing everything.
      - I love the way everyone on the team finishes every play. On the Branch TD, Woodhead came back and blocked, on the Woodhead swing pass, Tate was downfield throwing a block, on the BJGE TD, Vollmer push him in from the 2. Everyone plays to the whistle.
      - McCourty continues with his stellar play. His INT was perfect position. He ran stride for stride with the WR, turned to the ball, and made the catch. Never touched the WR, just played the ball.
      - I love the way BJGE plays. Only 70+ yards but everything was hard fought. Got the TDs on strong effort after contact. Always hits hard and plays as fast as he can. He knows his abilities and sticks with them (unlike Maroney).
      - Wes continues to improve every week. Traffic doesn't bother him, jamming him at the LOS doesn't faze him. Hang 2 LBs on him and he'll drag them into the EZ.
      - Our D was great all night. We were a step slow on the outside runs in the first half but we made the adjustment and took that away. We were there for the hit after the completion, got some decent pressure, knocked balls away and had 3 picks that were because of good positioning.
      - OL needs to take some credit for giving Brady time. Yes he was sacked a couple of times but that was just good plays by the Jets. They held up well and created a pocket that gave Brady time to go through his reads.
      - We finally came up with a stop at the end of the quarter. We give up points there, the Jets get some momentum and the ball to start the 2nd half.
      - BB deserves a ton of credit for this one. The game plan was brilliant. Heard that he actually spent 2 hours this week in a room with just Brady going over film. Brady said that was the first time in a long time they did that and it really helped Brady see some things about the Jets D that he didn't see before. BB knows D and if he can show Tom the vulnerabilities of it, Tom is smart enough to exploit it.
      - A dominating performance on Tedy Bruschi night. I would have loved to put up 54 but 45 is pretty damn close. Could someone please post about the ceremony? The only time BB actually cracked a smile after the game was when he was talking about Tedy.
      - I am glad we maintained balance and kept running the ball. Even though we had a bunch stuffed for no gain, we stuck with it and it paid off as we were able to convert a couple of times.
      - Loved Brady going after Hernandez after the huge catch and run in the 3rd quarter. Probably said something to the effect of you haven't been playing much be we really need you. See what happens when you keep playing and not sulking. That is a leader.

      - Loved the wrinkles. The shovel pitch to Woodhead. Motioning Welker to the backfield as fullback, play action to the left with Woodhead and then sneak him out to the right for a huge gain. Fake end around with Hernandez. Real end around with Tate.
      - Cunningham had Sanchez for a sack but somehow couldn't drag him down. Sanchez escapes and tries to throw a pass downfield but Cunningham gets back up and levels him. Never gave up.
      - The statement stop at the end of the game. 3 points is enough.

      The Bad
      - We lost the toss. What the hell. BB has to work on this with the captains. I needed something. There wasn't much in this category.
      - I agree with Ryan going for the long FG with the wind. Had to try something to get points on the board. Said in the post game conference that if he knew that he would miss it, he would have punted. It was the right decision, wrong execution. He shouldn't get blamed for this one. All the rest, sure. Not this one.
      - Holmes celebrates after everything. 20 yard gain, celebrate. 3 yard pickup, celebrate. Dropped pass, celebrate.
      - LT getting excited and gesturing to the crowd after a good run. LT has to realize that he won't beat us. (Loved the crowd's response and the boos that rained down).
      - Brady getting sacked when in FG position early in the game. I had a feeling this would come back to haunt us. I guess I was wrong.

      The Ugly
      - Sexy Rexy was out of his element. What was he doing challenging the spot on the first series if he was going to go for it anyway. Just call the TO, come up with a play and run it. Then, because he already used one, he doesn't challenge the Tate TD. If you are going to challenge something, a close TD is just that. I originally thought Tate was OOB. Looking back, his foot was down and his wrist and forearm were down inbounds before the elbow came down OOB. Would have been close but something you have to challenge.
      - The crow that the self proclaimed best team in football ate after the game. All said the right thing and mentioned that they were just beaten but the cockiness that they expressed before the game was over the top.
      - Ryan desperately wants to make this a coach vs. coach thing and BB won't even acknowledge that this was a big game. Just another division game and all division games are important. Ryan is just seething over it.
      - You are the defense clinging to a 3 point lead with less than a minute to go. The other team has the ball inside your 10 yard line and you manage to create a 4th and 2 situation. They line up to go for it where everyone in the stadium, watching on TV, listening to it on the radio, watching reruns of CSI, sleeping off too much alcohol, washing the cat, or just plain breathing knows that they wouldn't snap the ball. You decide to not remind your D and one of the linemen jumps offsides. First down, touchdown, game over.
      - Big Ben's nose after the game.
      - McDaniels getting the boot in Denver after getting rid of their 3 best players over the past couple of years and completely failing in his attempt to be BB Jr.
      - The 10 yard punt that set up the Pats probably cost the punter his job. He wasn't good all night.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 7, 2010
        Nice list Dave...but of course there's not much bad or ugly this week, at least with the Pats. This team looked like an artist at work.
        Under Ugly, there was yet another photo of PP (Manning) with his hands in the air pouting...that makes it two weeks in a row. Maybe they won't even make the playoffs this year.

        Who does anyone think is our biggest rival in the AFC right now OR do we even have one? After yesterday's game I'd say we have no rivals, but that's just one game.
        Since we have the best overall record in the AFC, we control our destiny as far as the SB going through Gillette Stadium.
        AWESOME!!!

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 7, 2010

          That’s an easy one, Susan. Our biggest rival in the AFC right now is the Chicago Bears!

          We had our 24 hours to celebrate. Now it’s back to work. Time to focus on the next opponent; the surprising Chicago Bears.

          (But, of course, my signature addition has to hang on for a couple more days!)

          GO PATS!!

          George

          Patriots - A new decade - A new dynasty! PATRIOTS 45 - JETS 3 (Just have to celebrate that for a few days!) :-)

          Please use BCC, when forwarding this message, to protect  e-mail addresses of your friends and relatives .

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 7, 2010
            Bears are in the NFC

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 7, 2010

              DUH! I “read right through” the “AFC”, and saw “NFL”. The brain is a strange thing; which gets stranger and stranger with age!!

              In any case, my point is that Da Bears are the ONLY rival I’m concerned about right now. J

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 8, 2010
                I'd be more concerned with facing the Falcons, good QB with a solid running game

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 8, 2010

                  OK, Sean, you have to share the “award” with me for not paying attention! My point is that the Bears are our NEXT opponent. Therefore, THEY are the primary concern right now. J

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 8, 2010

                    We all know what you meant...lol!!! I know that Da Bears are our only concern right now. Guess I don't even need to speculate on who our rivals might be in the AFC...hand slap for me! IF we do our game and play like we did Monday night, it doesn't even matter.
                    What do you think about Da Bears? Sure hope we dismantle them too...I have a special place of disgust for them from the past.

                    You can leave your sig line up as long as you want!!! When you put up your new decade, new dynasty, at one point during the season you didn't even believe it! Remember?
                    You're right all along, in my opinion. I'm so excited about our team right now...the sky is the limit for them!

                    GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 8, 2010

                      Yes, Susan, this is a very exciting time for Patriots fans. As you said, when I created that original sig line, I had hopes for it to happen, because of two guys named Belichick and Brady. But you are correct in noting that I did not expect it to begin this year, as it very well may.

                      The most exciting aspect of this is the very reason for my early season concern – this team is SO young! BB absolutely hit the jackpot in this year’s draft (McCourty, Spikes, Cunningham, Deaderick, Mesko, Gronkowski, and Hernandez); as well as with the surprising production of young players who seemingly came out of nowhere to become major contributors (Benny, Woody, Arrington, Love, Brown, Fletcher – every one of those, a first or second year FA!).

                      How can we not be excited about so much talented youth? And let’s not forget that we’ll have valuable veterans Bodden, Warren, and (hopefully) Faulk coming back next season; and some “high expectations” from our 6 picks in the first 3 rounds (or whatever trades result from some of them!).

                      And providing the foundation for this rapidly developing youth are veterans like Brady (who just seems to keep getting better), Welker, Wilfork, Mayo, and a solid OL (although that may be minus a very good one, Mankins, next year). Oh, and I think that Belichick fella is coming back to help out with the coaching, as well! J

                      Indeed, there is now ample reason to believe that it very well could be … A new decade - A new dynasty.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 8, 2010
                        NE P will play a major role in determining both participation in and seeding in the NFC playoffs.

                        At the moment, based on artificial tie-breakers, Green Bay at 8-4 is out of the playoffs.
                        Within their own division, GB has a RACO loss to Miami, and at the next level of tie-breaker, Chicago has humiliating conference defeats, two of them,back to back to Seattle and Washington.

                        The Bears have already lost to the 8-4 Giants, and won't know on December 12 whether GB lost to NE or the Giants.  GB goes to Detroit this weekend rooting for NE to beat the Bears, but if the Packers lose to Detroit, there will be less spring in their step on a Sunday Night the next week in Foxboro.

                        Whether or not the Bears beat the Patriots, they will likely kick Minnesota butt on Monday Night Football, and with a chance to beat Green Bay face to face on January 2, which would give the Bears a sweep of GB, we can be pretty sure the Bears will be motivated at one o'clock on December 26, when they host the Jets.

                        And by January 2, when they face each other, we will have only a slight interest in the outcome of the Bears Packers game, but recent SB champs the Giants and Saints will be glued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 14, 2011
                          The Good
                          - Andre Carter abused one of the better OT is the game. That was an impressive performance and something we desperately needed. A couple of the sacks were due to coverage as Sanchez had nowhere to throw. All of them, however, were due to hard work and relentless attitude.
                          - Anderson was equally impressive from the other side. No, he didn't have the numbers but was right there a couple of times and forced Sanchez to move from his comfy spot.
                          - Ninkovich played a great game. The first pick was just being aware. He was on the other side of the field when the pass was thrown. As soon as the ball was released, he was on the move across to support. Good hands to catch the 2nd tip. The other was just being aware and undercutting a route perfectly. He had the read of LT in the flat and just jumped it. Nicely done.
                          - Gronk was a beast. Both TDs were simply going up for the ball and taking it away from the DB. He just used his size and athleticism to outwrestle the ball away. He is a special player.
                          - From the last drive of the first half through the end of the game, Brady was as good as I have ever seen. I think that last drive to score put the spark in him that he needed. Early in the game, he was off target on a couple of throws. The one to 85 on the sideline was too far out, forcing 85 to step OOB. He threw to Woodhead in the flat but it was behind him, forcing Danny to turn his body and slow down. Cost us a first down. Missed Welker a couple of times, badly. Missed Woodhead in the end zone. A couple of balls that could have been picked. The last drive of the half, however, was picture perfect. The second half he looked comfortable and in rhythm.
                          - Our patchwork of DBs performed very well. They stepped up when they needed and made some nice plays. They were directly responsible for a couple of sacks and only allowed 1 passing TD, which was actually defended pretty well and was a very good throw.

                          - The Bills were exposed as potential frauds. They are up last in the season for us so I may make no difference by the time we get there.
                          - We have the easiest schedule remaining. Who actually scares you out of KC, Philly, Indy, Washington, Denver, Miami or Buffalo. 3 of those teams have an O which is an absolute mess. 2 are just plain bad. One is about to lose its head coach. And 1 may or may not be good depending on the week.
                          - I never root for anyone to get hurt but I did have a smile on my face when I saw LT limp off the field after getting lit up by Edelman.
                          - I thought the line gave Brady plenty of time to throw the ball. Only a couple of times was he pressured.

                          The Bad
                          - The 15 yarder on Gronk for the spike was a little overkill. He didn't mean to show up the DB. He was looking the other way just prior to spiking it so I don't think he had any idea the Jet was still there.
                          - This personal foul crap for hitting the helmet has to stop. When a player is leaning over, what is the defensive player supposed to do. If the defensive player keeps his head up and aims for the waist and tries to put his facemask into the players chest, that is great. What happens when that player ducks just before contact? Helmet to helmet contact and a bogus penalty.
                          - McCourty hurt his shoulder and it looked bad. Don't know who we pick up to replace him as we are running out of healthy bodies rapidly.
                          - During the opening announcements where the D goes through their names and colleges, they didn't have any video of Tarpanian or
                          - Vollmer still looks hurt as he isn't moving like he normally does. He was beaten badly for the safety and missed a couple of other times as well.
                          - Though we kept at it, the run game was non-existent. Liked that we stayed with it, especially in the hurry up, but BJGE and Ridley did nothing.
                          - Faulk, though I love the guy, looks really slow. Don't like to say it but he may be done.

                          The Ugly
                          - Giving the Jets the late Sunday game and then forcing them to play on Thursday is bad planning. Don't get me wrong, I want the Jets to get screwed at every turn but this should have been caught.
                          - 2 for 8, 69 yards and a TD. 43 yards rushing and a TD. That is not only the production of a starting QB but the winning QB of the game. Holy sh**.
                          - Seeing Shaq sitting with Spike Lee. I thought the big man had better taste in friends.
                          - The ruling on the non-TD play with Gronk. They called it partially correct. Gronk was OOB and became ineligible to catch the ball, also causing a penalty. That is where it ends, though. Branch was leveled in the back of the end zone, which was ruled a penalty. This should have led to offsetting penalties and a replay of down. But hold on a sec. The review then said Brady was out of the pocket so it wasn't a penalty. I didn't think you could use reviews to overturn penalties. In addition, the foul occurred prior to Brady going out of the pocket so it should have stood, thus offsetting penalties. In addition to that, the TV didn't clearly show Brady outside the pocket until NBC put those red lines up. I know the ref doesn't see that so how could he tell. Lastly, is the tackle box defined as from the tackle's outside shoulder or is it even with his crack. Just curious on that one.

                          Dave
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 14, 2011
                            Good analysis, Dave!

                            Some of those teams that we have left run hot and cold, SO we have to be careful. The Jills can play us aggressively at times, and Denver/KC might not be so easy. Never know though...we don't want to fall prey to "any given Sunday" at all.

                            Part of THE UGLY (to me) is seeing the Whiners rise again--have a longstanding hatred for that team. Also, not so thrilled seeing the Slackers undefeated (go Vikings tonight) and I don't want them to get a repeat SB.

                            REALLY ugly--the fact that the Nags are absoluteyl nothing without PP. Goes to show that you have to build a team around more than 1 player. When Brady was hurt and Cassel stepped in, look at how well we did (11-5) and would have made the playoffs in most any other year.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 14, 2011
                              Nice list, as always, Dave. One thing I'm wondering about it is the
                              pattern that seems to be developing of Brady being badly off target
                              for all or most of the first half. It's happened in at least 3 recent
                              games that I can think of, and it isn't pretty. He's looked worse than
                              mediocre out there in those instances. Does he need more warmup, or
                              what?

                              I also have to comment on your point about Faulk. I had the same
                              thought when he was tackled trying to go to the outside to his left.
                              As he broke, and the defender started in, it really looked like he
                              should have easily turned the corner. He was moving like Brady! He
                              goes onto my all time favorite Patriots list; but it looks like it may
                              be time to step off the field. ... I still want to see more of Ridley;
                              and where the hell is Vereen? Our backfield of the immediate future
                              should be BJGE, Woodhead, Ridley, and Vereen. Should be strong enough
                              to cover all situations, IMO.

                              Ninkovich is consistently improving. He really may be the next Vrabel.
                              From solid STs player, to play-making LB!

                              On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Levine, David <david-levine@...> wrote:
> [...]
                              > - The ruling on the non-TD play with Gronk.  They called it partially correct.  Gronk was OOB and became ineligible to catch the ball, also causing a penalty.  That is where it ends, though.  Branch was leveled in the back of the end zone, which was ruled a penalty.    This should have led to offsetting penalties and a replay of down.  But hold on a sec.  The review then said Brady was out of the pocket so it wasn't a penalty.  I didn't think you could use reviews to overturn penalties.  In addition, the foul occurred prior to Brady going out of the pocket so it should have stood, thus offsetting penalties.  In addition to that, the TV didn't clearly show Brady outside the pocket until NBC put those red lines up.  I know the ref doesn't see that so how could he tell.  Lastly, is the tackle box defined as from the tackle's outside shoulder or is it even with his crack.  Just curious on that one.

                            • Levine, David
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 23, 2012
                                The Good
                                - Brady is still clutch. The final 2 drives, to tie and win were pretty good.
                                - Ghost is back to form. Both clutch kicks were huge. The 48 yarder was a bomb.
                                - Mesko was very good, hitting many punts inside the 20 and keeping the field position battle flipped to us.
                                - Vince blew up the run play causing the safety. He pushed his guy into the backfield and interrupted the handoff. Big play from a big man.
                                - Ninkovitch is an everywhere player. He rushes from the end, he covers from the linebacker, he run stops as an LB. Love the way he plays.
                                - Love the throwbacks.
                                - Vereen looked good in the limited action he had. Didn't realize he was so fast.
                                - McCourty played very well as a safety. He looks comfortable back there. With our top 2 guys hurt, we had to shuffle everyone around and he filled in nicely.
                                - Spikes absolutely unloaded on Green. It was completely legal and Green had no business getting back into the game as he looked unconscious when falling to the ground.
                                - Even without Mankins, our line held up well and 12 was only sacked once. They opened holes for the run game at times and held off a pretty good front 4 of the J-E-T-S.

                                The Bad
                                - Our secondary really needs a different plan. This soft zone is just not working. Receivers have way too long to search and find the holes. We need to either bring an extra rusher to force an earlier throw or change the coverage scheme to hold up the receivers more.
                                - I don't like McCourty as kick returner and the 104 yard TD doesn't change my mind. He just isn't fast enough (or decisive enough) to do the job. I watched Cincy the other night and Tate consistently brought the ball out to the 30 with a chance to break it almost every time. McCourty brings it to the 17 to 23 yard line every time. The fumble just reinforces my thought. Try Edelman. He is fearless on punt returns and makes quick decisions to get the extra yards.
                                - Why is it when we need to pin the other team deep on a kickoff or punt, the ball goes deep enough but we always blow the coverage to allow a big return. Happened again at the end of the game after a punt.
                                - I don't like the hurry up run on 3rd and short with Woodhead. I understand we are hoping to catch the D but Woodhead doesn't have the bulk to carry a player for the 1st down. I'd rather sub in Ridley (or Bolden when healthy) and then run a good play.
                                - I didn't think we controlled the pace in the second half like we did in the first. We went away from the hurry up for most of the half and never did the frantic pace. We were so effective with it against Buffalo and Denver. What happened?
                                - Lloyd looked out of step today. 2 drops for a guy who catches everything is not right. He hasn't been a bust but he certainly hasn't been a stud like we had hoped.
                                - I am not as down on the secondary as everyone else is as far as players. Our 2 of the 4 were out and we started a rookie who had seen little, if any, playing time. Get everyone healthy and see what we have first.

                                The Ugly
                                - Situational play calling is terrible. On the final drive before the half we are moving the ball and then go to a painfully slow flea-flicker. At the start of the 4th quarter, we run a slowly developing back side screen and this flare that didn't seem to be designed well.. We needed some points and we went to the gimmick. Turned out that the Jets scored instead and changed the entire game at the half. When we are trying to run out the clock, why throw a bomb?
                                - Being replaced by a Brady isn't bad. Ask Drew as that turned out fine. However, being replaced by a Brady Quinn? That's pretty bad.
                                - How does Lloyd get flagged for offensive PI when Curley does the same thing and there is no call? I think both were penalties, mind you, but you have to call them equally and I have yet to see an O PI called on the team we are playing.

                                Dave
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 23, 2012
                                  I agree with all of your "Good" comments, Dave. I just want to further
                                  support your note on Mesko. The value of a having a dependable punter
                                  who can use distance, hang time, and accuracy, as required by the
                                  situation, is not recognized as much as it should be. So nice to have
                                  that back with Mesko back there. I hated the constant punting
                                  struggles for the several years before they drafted him.

                                  I also have to loudly applaud the 'throwback' uniforms. I will never
                                  stop feeling that THIS is look of your New England Patriots. I wish
                                  they'd scrap the "Flying Elvis", along with the "meaningless" blue and
                                  silver colors; and go back to being "Patriots", with red, white, and
                                  blue! (OOPS! I hope that isn't too "political".) :-)

                                  In the "Bad" list, First, I totally agree with you on the consistently
                                  inconsistent, and overall ineffective, soft zone defense. It is
                                  clearly not working. Where do the Patriots stand in pass defense, and
                                  overall defense? 'Nuff said! I very much want to see them go to
                                  mostly M2M, or at least a mix of M2M with some deep zone. But even
                                  more importantly, I want to see them add a lot more blitzing to the
                                  front 7 tactics. I've always been a strong proponent of a devastating
                                  pass rush. I want to see more stunts, and at least 1 LB coming from
                                  different areas on damn near every play. That was one thing I always
                                  respected about the old Eagles DC (was it Jim?) Johnson. You KNEW that
                                  the Eagles were going to put constant pressure on your QB. It really
                                  limited the play calling options of the opposing offense.

                                  On McCourty, I say keep him at safety, as I noted yesterday. He simply
                                  doesn't have the "turn around" skills needed for a CB. He has to have
                                  the play in front of him to be successful. Keep him at FS, with Chung
                                  (when healthy) at SS. Let Gregory or Wilson come in as the nickel
                                  (until Wilson gains experience). Best CBs, IMO, are Dennard and Moore,
                                  if they're allowed to play M2M.

                                  Also agree with you on all of your kickoff return points. Poor
                                  blocking for returns, and poor coverage on kickoffs. BB needs to
                                  consider a change at the ST Coaching position. It's been less than
                                  average for years. Scott O'Brien is not the answer there.

                                  Finally, I think you may recall that I was never a big fan of Josh
                                  McDaniels. Yes, he has some great play designs for the passing game.
                                  But I have never liked his play calling. I don't think he makes proper
                                  use of the running game. By that I mean that he doesn't call running
                                  plays at the right times; or call the right type (inside, off tackle,
                                  stretch, etc.) of run for the situation. IMO, he's a "passing
                                  coordinator", as opposed to a well-rounded Offensive Coordinator. I
                                  found some faults with Weiss, at times; but overall, I'd take him over
                                  McDaniels anytime. I'm not calling for his head, as is the case with
                                  DB Coach Boyer and ST Coach O'Brien. I'm just saying he's got some
                                  work to do on his overall play calling. (And I'm not suggesting any
                                  coaching changes at this point in the season. I'm not a proponent of
                                  changing horses in mid stream. I'd like to see Boyer and O'Brien
                                  replaced during the off season IF they can't significantly improve
                                  what's happening in their respective areas of responsibility.)

                                  Let's get a win in London Town, and enjoy a week off to let those
                                  lingering injuries to Gronk and Hernandez heal. We're a better
                                  offensive team than we can show right now, with neither of them at
                                  100%.

                                  - George

                                  On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Levine, David <david-levine@...> wrote:
> [...]
                                  > - Situational play calling is terrible. On the final drive before the half we are moving the ball and then go to a painfully slow flea-flicker. At the start of the 4th quarter, we run a slowly developing back side screen and this flare that didn't seem to be designed well.. We needed some points and we went to the gimmick. Turned out that the Jets scored instead and changed the entire game at the half. When we are trying to run out the clock, why throw a bomb?
                                  > - Being replaced by a Brady isn't bad. Ask Drew as that turned out fine. However, being replaced by a Brady Quinn? That's pretty bad.
                                  > - How does Lloyd get flagged for offensive PI when Curley does the same thing and there is no call? I think both were penalties, mind you, but you have to call them equally and I have yet to see an O PI called on the team we are playing.

                                • Levine, David
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 26, 2012
                                    The Good
                                    - 3 touchdowns in 52 seconds is pretty good. All 3 phases scored too.
                                    - 109 points in 5 days. Not a bad week of work.
                                    - Brady got his stuff together after a shaky start and really showed what he was worth. Listened to Boomer on the radio and he mentioned that Tom was throwing a lot on the sidelines trying to work something out. He certainly did.
                                    - Could you see how fired up 12 was? Every score was like a Super Bowl score. He was pissed that he missed Lloyd for a TD on a deep throw. "Crazy Legs" also had a rushing TD.
                                    - Vince might have played his best game as a Pat. He was completely dominant. He literally threw Brandon Moore (after beating the double team) back into Sanchez forcing a fumble.
                                    - We are now +24 in turnover differential with only 8 giveaways all season. That is +11 on Chicago who has only 1 more takeaway than us.
                                    - The patchwork OL played a great game, giving Brady all day to throw. No sacks and only the opening play of the game grounding call. 2 weeks in a row without a sack.
                                    - Vereen has some speed. Great play design on the wheel route. Welker went inside taking the defender and safety with him. Vereen runs nice and wide and motors down the sideline for a TD.
                                    - Gregory deserves special notice here. He played a whale of a game with an INT and 2 fumble recoveries plus the TD.
                                    - What a shock...McCourty caused another fumble.
                                    - What a shock...Ninkovitch has another recovery.
                                    - Nice to see Hernandez back on the field. He will need the rest of the season to get back into game shape before the playoffs but there is no need to rush it. We have enough weapons so he doesn't need to go wire to wire.
                                    - No better way to get BB his 200th win.
                                    - Dennard and Talib play all but 1 down and were solid all game. Both will only get better from here and could provide us with a big boost come playoff time.
                                    - Love the goal line stand in the 3rd quarter. Yes, the game was over but they still played tough and forced the turnover on downs.
                                    - It's good to have a nice Jewish boy perform some wholesome halftime music. I have always liked Lenny and his music.

                                    The Bad
                                    - A little miscommunication between Hoomanawanui and Ridley on the chop block in the EZ. It looked like a bad play design to try and pick up the blitzer up the middle after the play fake caused both backs to go around Brady. Couldn't get there in time and 1 went high when one went low.
                                    - 8 penalties including a couple of offsides and an unnecessary roughness call can get us into trouble against good teams. I understand that once the rout was on, you get amped up but you must control yourself and not do something stupid.
                                    - Edelman took a shot and came up with a concussion. He was playing great up to that point as well. We need him on the field as a punt returner as well as that other slot guy.
                                    - Another missed FG but this one may not land solely on Ghost. The snap and hold looked a little funky.
                                    - Baltimore won again when they had no business doing so. Down 10 with 5 to go, the Chargers couldn't seal the deal. They had a shot in OT but screwed that up too.
                                    - Houston wins.

                                    The Ugly
                                    - Brandon Moore's ass is now tied for 3rd on the Jets team for forced fumbles this year.
                                    - I saw Fireman Ed without his helmet in the stands, that was until he left at halftime. Didn't find out until just this morning that he is hanging it up because of confrontations with other Jets fans in the stands. Though I hated the Jets, I liked Ed as he was so involved and such a huge fan. He will still go to games, just without the helmet.
                                    - Tebow was dressed for the game but had broken ribs and would have had to throw with his opposite arm if he did play. I am wondering if the Jest with get penalized for not announcing the injury.
                                    - The Houston/Detroit challenge debacle. I understand the rule that if you throw a challenge flag on a play that can't be challenged you get a 15 yard penalty. This is meant to prevent a team from slowing the pace. In this case, however, the play was going to be automatically reviewed. Since the challenge flag came out, the rule is enforced. Why, however, the play is still not reviewed is beyond me. It was a dead ball foul. How does that negate the automatic review of the TD? That stupid move by the coach cost his team the game.
                                    - The OT in Detroit. How many missed FGs can there be?
                                    - Sexy Rexy said he will never concede that the Jets can't catch the Pats. I would agree with that. The only difference will be that Sexy will be long gone when it does. My guess is that it won't happen until Brady and BB hang 'em up.

                                    Dave
                                  • Levine, David
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 23, 2014
                                      The Good
                                      - Another win means we have locked up the first round bye.
                                      - Thanks to Cincy, the AFC champion comes out of Foxborough.
                                      - The D continues to play at a high level, not allowing a TD in the 2nd half for the 5th straight game. We play like this and it will be very hard for anyone to beat us. Seliga has really made a difference to this team in the middle.
                                      - Revis only allows 2 catches and shuts down whomever he covers. Such a luxury for us.
                                      - Amendola played well in the Edelman role. He also provides a spark to the return game.
                                      - Air Vince blocks another kick. That's 4 on the year. Pretty damn impressive. Whatever our schemes are, they are working. Key sack by Hightower on the play before
                                      - Without 3 key contributors, we still managed to pull out a win against an opponent who treated this like their super bowl.
                                      - Brady makes another play with his legs, running 11 yards for a first and goal from the 3. Smart to get down as he would have gotten himself killed.
                                      - Glad we committed to the run game in a goal to go situation. We need to be able to run the ball when we need to.
                                      - We bottled up the Jets running attack which is actually pretty good. We didn't have to commit any extra people to the box and did the job
                                      - Is there a more athletic player in the league than Jamie Collins? The guy can just flat out play and think about how good he'll be when he really understands the game.
                                      - Chandler Jones held up against the run well. You don't normally hear about this part of his game but he did well against a mauling OL.

                                      The Bad
                                      - Our O got into gear with the hurry up attack but we never maintained it. I want to know why we went away from something that works so well.
                                      - The OL was bad. Is Connolly that important? If so, we are in trouble going forward as no backup is good enough to come in and play. Kline failed as a fill in. Once we pulled him, we didn't allow another sack.
                                      - We didn't commit to the run game. Too many passes allowed the Jets DL to just pin their ears back and go. We need to make them honor the play action, which is such an important part of the offence.
                                      - No pass rush. I would have liked to see a little pressure on the QB.
                                      - Logan Ryan was awful. He was nowhere near his receiver. When it's cover 1, you can't get caught looking in the backfield and let your guy get behind you. Arrington is a much needed piece of the D.
                                      - Why do we seem to make below average QBs look like great QBs. There is no way Gino should have thrown that well against us. A couple of drops that are caught and we are looking at a different outcome

                                      The Ugly
                                      - Never like to see injuries and seeing Mangold come off the field after Vince was push over and into his leg is no good.
                                      - One week after beating the Packers to salvage your playoff hopes, you lose to the Raiders. The Bills are going to fold to us next week.

                                      Dave