The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Colts)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 22, 2010
      The Good
      - He ain't pretty but I am becoming a big fan of BJGE. He always gains the extra yard and never gives up pushing forward. Almost broke 2 long runs but just got tripped up. He doesn't seem to miss the opening and gives maximum effort all the time.
      - Is Faulk now expendable? Woodhead is a player. He really runs hard, and pushes as hard as he can. The TD was a thing of beauty. The initial hole was stopped up but he stayed patient and the right side opened up. He got into the open field and made 2 defenders look silly. He then sprinted down the sideline to about the 10 when he slowed down, waited for Welker to keep pushing his guy into the EZ and walked in untouched. Wonderful vision and perfect execution of setting up his blocks. Making the open field tackle on the ensuing kickoff was probably my favorite play of the game.
      - The Twig had a stellar game. Made the tough catches and always seemed to be open. Never broke one but almost had the TD (if his hands were just a tad bigger).
      - Welker was Welker. Made the plays, moved the chains, pushed the pile for a TD, blocked for another. He just works hard.
      - Our D took advantages of its opportunities. 3 picks of Manning is one thing but 2 of them were very difficult catches. Icing the game with a pick caused by pressure was beautiful. The only thing that could have been better was a Vinatieri miss.
      - Chung continues to make plays. He was all over the field. He was in perfect position on the last TD throw but it was an even better pass.
      - Skeet shooting, poker game and then the Pats with friends. What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
      - Loved to watch Manning's face as the last interception was tucked away by Sanders.
      - Manning took onus on the INTs and said he made a poor throw at the end. Said he didn't get everything he wanted on it and Garcon ran the right route. Also mentioned that our coverages confused him on the picks.

      The Bad
      - After showing up last week against Pittsburgh, our pass D was virtually non-existent in the 2nd half. We let Manning throw all over the place and almost lost the game.
      - Tully taking a 15 yarder at a key moment in the game was something that the Patriots don't do. Indy manhandled Warren on the ground, hit him late and ripped off his helmet. The refs, however, only caught the guy who retaliated. I admire coming to a teammates defense but you have to be smart about it.
      - Short week turnaround to play Detroit. Don't like having to travel out there after a big, emotional win for a game that is a week before the biggest game on our schedule. Trap. BB needs to pull out all the tricks to prevent a repeat of the Cleveland debacle.
      - Our tackling was putrid. There were 3 big plays that, if we make the tackle, we are in good position. The 36 yard run on 3rd down could have been stopped for a short gain. Manning escaped a sure sack and completed a long pass across the field to Wayne. Wayne escapes 2 guys and turns a short completion into a long gain. We need better fundamentals.
      - Did we play D on the first TD? No one was within 10 yards of the TE.
      - I hated our play calling on our FG drive. First and goal and we run twice with no effect. We then try a single pass short of the EZ that is dropped. We settled for the FG, trying to take time off the clock instead of continuing with the short passing game that got us there. We got conservative and it almost cost us. Our last 2 series were the same way. Run to try and burn some time and pass only to try for the 1st down. A play action could have been a big gain as the Colts were selling out the run.

      The Ugly
      - Big Sey punching out Roethlishamberger. Let me clarify. The punch was welcomed and enjoyable. The ejection and possible suspension warranted. The Ben acting job was pathetic. Falling down, curing up into the fetal position, staying down in apparent agony. Enough.
      - The Jets have now won their last 3 games when they should have lost (or tied) them. They easily could be 5-5 or 5-4-1 instead of tied for the division lead. We really need to beat them in 2 weeks.

      Dave
    • Machado.Nicholas

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 23, 2010
          Regarding Hernandez, I think part of the absence in his presence the last two weeks has been the determination to run
          the ball a little more and use the better blocking of Crumpler and Gronk a bit more. I do agree that Hernandez is
          electric and I want him getting more reps and passes as often as possible within the balanced scheme of throwing to the
          open guy.

          It's pretty good to have more options than we are using and I think he'll be featured more in coming weeks.

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 23, 2010

            It was noted by someone in the Ne England media last week that BB appears to be using Gronk over Hernandez against teams that have a significant pass rush threat from both sides, as do both the Steelers and Colts. If he’s right, we may see a lot more of Hernandez in Detroit.

            In any case, it is great to have two serious threats from the TE position. I love watching Hernandez catch and run. But the versatility of Gronk, and the uncertainty that creates for the opposing defense, is tremendously valuable.

            I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a runner with such a combination of “boring”, yet effective running since the old days of the ‘3 yards and a cloud of dust’ attack of the old Big Ten teams. Benny just keeps getting it done, while hardly ever bringing the crowd to its’ feet. I think he very quietly has one of the best finishes in the league on damn near every carry.  I’ll take it!

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 23, 2010
              The law firm has done a great job this year. He hits the hole quick and has the power to break tackles and push defenders down the field. 96 yards on 21 carries is a mighty fine day against the Colts. Combined with Woodhead and the occasional Morris the Pats have a very effective  running game going.

              Question; do you think BB should use one of those high picks on a stud running back in next years draft or do you feel comfortable with picking up a project or two in the later rounds or through free agency/waivers to complement and add depth to what they have? I figure Taylor and maybe Morris won't be around much longer and Faulk has to be getting close to the end if he is able to come back.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 23, 2010

                I confess to nearly total ignorance of what is going to be available in the Draft next year. I don’t get to see enough college games or news here to have a meaningful opinion. (If I ever did! ?) J

                That said, I’ll present my opinion on what the Patriots should do with regard to personnel changes, with the “assumption” that there are a few very good players available at each position I mention.

                I agree with you, Harry, wrt to the current running game. It is, indeed, effective right now. I also believe that it needs a couple of additions in the off-season, because both Taylor and Morris should be replaced. It’s time. They simply can’t take a heavy load for a full season anymore. I do hope that Faulk comes back for at least one more season. IMO, he’s got more than enough left to make significant contributions for us.

                That said, RB would not be my top priority for the upcoming Draft. It’s included among our top 4-5 picks; but not a R1 or R2 pick. I’d go with picking up a solid vet RB, much like we did when we originally acquired Morris and Taylor; but, of course, a couple years younger than them. But we shouldn’t go for a break the bank big name. Use a R4-5 pick to take a shot on a kid with the potential, but not the “media hype”, to be a future star at “Feature Back”. We all know that there a few of those who come along every single season.

                In fact, I place a higher priority on WR. Neither Tate nor Price have blown me away; although we all know that most WRs don’t begin to approach their potential for 2-3 years. I’d like  to see us put WR just a bit higher than RBs – a R4-5 pick, according to relative value.

                I think that this young defense still needs a lot of help. They are showing signs of learning fast, and becoming a solid D. DE Deaderick; LBs Cunningham and Spikes (and I might add Ninkovich as another “developing” well); CB McCourty is clearly a rising star; and his opposite side teammate, Kyle Arrington, is improving. Merriweather and Chung are also very solid, and, again, still young and improving. So I’m not putting that in the top Draft spot either.

                IMO, the top priority in the Draft, our #1 pick, should be the best damn OT available. I’m looking for a Bruce Armstrong, who will be filling that spot for the next 10 years! If such a player is available in the Draft this season, I favor doing whatever it takes (given our stock of picks) to get him. I go with the best OL or DL available in R2/R3. RB/WR are the next 2 priorities; and from there, in view of my opinions on the other positions, it’s the old ‘BPA’ for the rest of the Draft. Maybe a college backup QB from Michigan or USC in R6? But I would NOT spend another DP on a TE! J

                Just one additional factor in my priorities. Our best talent on both the DL and the OL is aging. We need to, at the very least, prepare to replace them. If not next season, probably the next. All other positions are relatively young; and most of them show definite improvement, and strong potential for even more. So the hogs in the trenches are my top priorities for Rounds 1 and 2 this year.

                Opinions?

                Oh, one more thing. Having spent 10 minutes taking a cursory look ahead; my top priority for the moment is BEATING THE LIONS ON THANKSGIVING DAY!!

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                  The Razor's Edge Edition

                  The Good
                  - Gronk shows what a handful he can be. 3 more TDs (one ruled a lateral later) but the guy is one of the best in the league. My son's new favorite player.
                  - Don't know if you could have played any better at the end of the 2nd Q and beginning of the 3rd. Two TDs to send the Colts reeling into the locker room and then come out and just march down the field to start the 3rd.
                  - How about the play calling on the series after the half. Pass to Welker. Completion. Pass to Branch. Completion. Pass to Welker. Completion. Pass to Welker. Completion. Pass to Welker. Completion. Pass to Gronk, TD. Do you think the Colts should have covered this guy?
                  - While we were trying, our D played very well. Holding at the goal line was a huge swing in momentum. Instead of falling behind 7-3 and giving the Colts hope, we held twice and then came up with a sack to force the FG. That was a 19 play, 10 minute drive that yielded just 3 points.
                  - Tommy passing Unitas and tying Moon on the all time passing TD list with 291 (6th place).
                  - Welker passing Fryer for 3rd on the all time Pats receiving yards list.
                  - I liked the way Nate Jones was playing. For someone coming off the street just a few days ago and then playing pretty good may be helpful once everyone gets healthy.
                  - The way the Pats fans welcomed Manning. In talking with someone who went to the tunnel, everyone was wishing him well as he signed autographs Classy on both the fan's and Manning's parts.
                  - Had a great time at the tailgate, as always. Good food, good friends, good weather. What more could you have asked for. Great to see everyone again. I look forward to an earlier game next year.
                  - My son now has seen his first regular season game. He had such a good time. I didn't even mind paying for the $8 hot chocolate in the game.

                  The Bad
                  - Taking away Gronk's last TD and calling it a lateral. It was pretty close but I guess we'll have to wait another week for the record.
                  - Why did we just roll over at the end of the game? We were rolling and then we completely changed both our O and our D strategies and gave up a ton of points and made the game relevant again. After the Mayo pick, I thought we were just going to run out the clock. Instead, we have a 44 second and a 29 second drive and then play prevent D to let the Colts back in to it. Could be a blessing as it gives BB something to complain about for the week to make these guys focus a little.
                  - Not getting to share my annual cigar with Monty after the game.
                  - We need to get healthy. This is getting ridiculous. Our DBs are just not good right now. Arrington is playing well. McCourty needs to get fully healthy. Chung needs to get back as Ihedigbo is slow. Slater is trying but isn't there.
                  - We need to work on getting a key 1st down by running the ball. We still have trouble getting the yards we need at times. We are also not staying committed to the run enough.
                  - 86 dropping a huge gain down the sideline. He is just not fitting in at this point.

                  The Ugly
                  - The jackass with the leaf blower in the parking lot who used it constantly on the fire he had going. It was pretty annoying.
                  - Though the challenge clearly overturned the call, how could the refs call Faulk losing the ball a fumble. He was clearly down when it came out. Being that early in the game, using up a challenge could have been an issue later.
                  - How do you call timeout and ice your own kicker? Dallas is an absolute mess right now. They really screwed up the end of that game. They had time on the clock with time outs but instead of trying to get a few more yards, they let the clock run down and then call timeout as the kicker hits the winning FG that doesn't count.
                  - Nice to see Cincy show up to play Pittsburg. That was handy.
                  - Nice to see Grossman play in the 4th quarter against the Jets. Again, handy.
                  - I just don't see how Tebow is winning games. It just doesn't make sense to me. He only threw 15 times yesterday and managed 200 yards out of it. How can teams not defend this?

                • Mark Morse
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2011
                     Great as always David!  Good seeing you and your large crew!

                    I have to add Nick "Mangold" McDonald in the Good column as well.  First regular season playing time for this former 2010 Un-Dafted Free Agent OL from Grand Valley St (D-II).  He was on the Packer 53 man squad all year (and has the Super Bowl ring to prove it) but was inactive for ebery game.  The Pack cut him at the cut down date and we immediately signed him on Sept 3rd.  His pass blocking was tremendous.  I am not sure about his run blocking, but that may have been a reason why we struggled in the run game yesterday.

                    Also, Matthew Slater playing the whole game at Safety.

                    The largest tailgate we have had this season with 16 cars in the caravan and nearly 60 people.

                    Bad - Devin McCourty .... just putrid!  He has lost all his confidence.

                    85 not David Pattern - taps out of the game after running two pass patterns (one was a drop of a catchable long pass down the sideline).  Underwood jumps in and makes the catch on the very next play!  Way to go Ocho Stinko!  This despite the tremdous ovation the fans gave you after your first catch.
                    Mark Morse
                    Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 19, 2012
                      The Good
                      - We have now put up 358 points and a scoring differential of +133. Only 1 other team in the NFL has put up more than 300 so far and others have greater than +100 differentials. No cheating. Can you guess who? Answers below.
                      - Our D really started playing well once we started to pressure Luck.
                      - Is there any more opportunistic D in the league than ours. Wow. Fumble recovery. 1 play, 25 yards, 6 seconds. 2 INTs returned and a punt returned.
                      - Edelman will take over for Welker next year. We have been waiting for him to crack the lineup and for the past couple of weeks, he has been taking more and more of Deion's playing time. What a game from number 11.
                      - I think McCourty should stay at safety. He is quick to the ball and a solid tackler.
                      - Aquib played a nice game for the first one back. The first TD was a perfect pass into great coverage. He was beaten deep but guessed wrong on another play. He is, however, a solid tackler (took on a TE and hit him low, square and in the legs). I think he'll be a nice addition to the team. The runback was great.
                      - Our backup guards continue to do a fantastic job. That OL coach of ours is pretty damn good.
                      - Both tackles kept 2 good pass rushers at bay for most of the game. No sacks and only 1 or 2 pressures. Freeny had 1 tackle and Mathis had 2 assists. Though Solder was called for a couple of holds.
                      - I don't know what BB said at half time but it reminded me of a couple years ago when we would come out and dominate the 2nd half.
                      - Fozzie Dennard with a pick 6 and our new starting CB (opposite Talib).
                      - At one point in the first half, Brady was off the field for 32 minutes and we ended up outscoring them 14-3 over that time. Pretty damn impressive.
                      - We finally held for no points at the end of the half. That gave us some momentum into the third quarter.
                      - Reggie Wayne was targeted 18 times in the game and only caught 7 for 72 yards. Not a bad day for the D.
                      - I love the controlled pass rush we implemented at the half. We pressured but kept Luck contained and didn't let him scramble. On top of that, we made all the tackles the first time and didn't give up any extra yards like last week.
                      - Gronk became the 1st TE in history to have 3 straight seasons with 10+ TDs. Damn. He also has the most TD catches over the last 3 years, 6 ahead of Megatron. Moss holds the 3 year record of 43 which is now not going to be challenged due to the injury.
                      - Spikes was in the backfield for a number of plays. He was able to shoot though the gaps left easily.

                      The Bad
                      - The rest of the season will be tough without Gronk. I don't see us beating both Houston and San Fran without him. The rest of the games are winnable so figure an 11 and 6 finish and the 3rd seed.
                      - Bad miss by Ghost. I thought that could come and haunt us at the half but I guess I was being overly critical.
                      - Arrington had good position on the first PI called. He just had to turn for the ball and it would have been fine.
                      - Hernandez needs to heal quicker but I don't want to rush him back. We need him for the stretch run.
                      - Chandler Jones tweaked an ankle that I hope isn't too bad. We need his pass rush and I would hate to see a promising rookie season cut short.

                      The Ugly
                      - The reverse fooled the Colts so bad that lead blocker Hoomanawanui was 40 yards down field still looking for someone to hit.
                      - Edelman will get ribbed for getting tackled by the punter but at least he was bottled up by the sideline. In Houston, the Keyshawn Martin was actually caught from behind by the punter. That's embarrassing.
                      - We only had 1 offensive series in the second quarter and never had a drive last longer than 4:11.
                      - I am getting tired of these bogus roughing the passer calls. Mayo hit Luck square in the chest with his head up and didn't drive him into the ground but they call the blow to the head because his helmet grazed Luck's chin. The only way that is never contact with the QBs head is if we use smaller defenders so they can't reach. Wait, can't do that either. Then it would be going after the QBs knees. Can't win.

                      The Quiz... Denver has put up 301 points and Chicago (+109) and Houston (+113) are the answers.

                      Dave
                    • Levine, David
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 13, 2014
                        The Good
                        • I said before the game to my son that the offensive player of the game would be Blount.  He proved me right.  He followed his blocking, hit the hole quickly and has enough giddy-up to run away from people.  He didn’t have that textbook “I’m gonna carry 3 guys down field run” but he was a beast all game.
                        • I said before the game to my son that the defensive player of the game would be Collins.  I was actually happy that Spikes didn’t play.  I always thought he was too slow.  I would rather have seen Collins and Fletcher as they are much faster players.  What a game for the rookie.  The pick was great coverage, dropping way back and staying with his man.  Covered Fleener most of the night very well.  Had a sack, and multiple other tackles.  He is going to be a good player for us.
                        • The OL was spectacular.  Mankins pulling on the Blount long TD run.  Connelly pulling on the 30 yard burst to ice the game.  They had only 1 or 2 breakdowns all game.  Kept Brady clean and gave him time to find the open guy when he decided to throw the ball.
                        • Hooman deserves a line by himself.  He played every down on offence and had at least 3 blocks directly related to us scoring on the ground.  He played a whale of a game.
                        • Devlin also deserves to be mentioned.  The fullback was the lead battering ram all night and consistently moved his guy out of the way, opening a running lane for the back.
                        • I have to give props to Mulligan.  The big man was like another lineman out there, walling off defenders and creating the crease the back can hit and gain positive yardage.
                        • Ghost did an amazing job at punting.  For someone who has never done it in a game, he was calm and collected.  His first one was a beauty.  The others were all good.  I was surprised that it didn’t cost us in the field position battle.
                        • Dennard had a whale of a game as well.  The pick to start things off was the momentum we needed to get things going.  His coverage on the 1st TD was great as he just missed the ball and pulled the WRs other arm down.  It was just a better throw and catch.
                        • The D, overall, played a great game.  We controlled a very high powered offence and only gave up one or two plays that were uncontested.  Luck had a couple of throws that were just plain spectacular.  The 2nd TD pass was with a guy hitting him and was pinpoint perfect.
                        • I like that BB has confidence in Ridley again. With the game close in the fourth quarter, he sticks with Ridley and he makes the plays he needs to while holding onto the ball.  We need everyone to run next week and keeping his confidence up is important.  As a side note, I love Ridley celebrating with Blount after Blount’s TDs.  It shows that they actually root for each other.
                        • The play action pass to Amendola that went for 50+ was 3 quarters in the making. We ran it so much that when we when play action on the stretch play, there was no one near Brady.  The safety bit and Amendola ran by Butler for an easy throw and catch.
                        • Collins, Hightower, Chandler Jones, and Ninkovich all go wire to wire.  McCourty and Talib miss only 1 play each (goal line) and Gregory was only out for 2.  It’s nice to have a core group that plays all the time.
                        • The Colts were only 6 for 15 on third down.  A huge improvement over the regular season.
                        • We were 5 for 6 in the red zone.  That is also a huge improvement.

                        The Bad
                        • I didn’t like the 3rd and 1 handoff to Devlin.  Blount has been a beast the last 3 games but we give it to the up back with no momentum.  Not a great play call.
                        • Why the hell was Brady holding on the PAT?  Couldn’t Mallet learn on the sideline?  He had plenty of time to practice while the game was going on.  I know Brady used to do it but that was 15 years ago in the Orange Bowl at Michigan.  Brady has better things to do.
                        • I don’t like the decision to punt from the 27 yard line in the 4th quarter.  I know the game was in hand at that point but you never know and 3 more points would have made it virtually impossible for the Colts to come back.  I understand that punting eliminates the chance of a block and return but the field position change was minimal.  I would have rather gone for it than punt.
                        • I would have like to have seen Blount get the TD record but I think BB was trying to keep everyone involved.
                        • We have to clean up the penalties on special teams.  2 block in the back penalties cost us over 40 yards in field position.
                        • Who are the free agent punters that are available.  Allen was so good all year but we need someone for the rest of the playoffs if he is out.

                        The Ugly
                        • This game had 3 hits where the runner just ran into a brick wall.  3rd and 3, Vereen takes the draw, runs exactly 3.1 yards and meets a linebacker who he bounced off of and falls down.  First down but a hit.  Jamie Collins has a great interception, runs the ball back and proceeds to run into an OL (and our DL) and, like hitting a wall, suffers rapid negative acceleration.  Brown takes the ball up the middle and proceeds to meet mister Hightower, who, teaches the running back about gravity.
                        • I don’t know about you abut we will need a new long snapper next year.  Aiken has been inconsistent all year and this time it actually cost us.  That snap over Allen’s head wasn’t even close.  He actually put one at Ghost’s feet later in the game as well.  If it weren’t playoffs, we would have someone new in this week.
                        • What the hell was Allen trying to do with the ball?  He should have just kicked it out of the end zone for a safety.  Falling on it would have been a good second option but it give the Colts the ball at the 2.  If he were trying to throw the ball, that would have been a great option as an incomplete pass puts the ball at mid field on the turnover on downs.  What he did wasn’t smart.  Got himself hurt in the process.
                        • Was it me or were the Indy players getting injured all game and then coming back in a play or 2.  This is American football, not European football.  I thought these guys were tough, not the diving wimps who play with the round, checkered ball.
                        • Anyone see Newton’s reaction when SF linebacker Brooks jumped over everyone trying to anticipate the snap. Threw his arms up and fell to the ground like he was shot, looking for the additional penalty.  Again, American football.  Be tough, damn  it.
                        • Not really ugly but our starting WR for the game was Slater because we were in our goal line O to start.  First start of his career.
                        • Steve Smith is a punk.  Never liked him. Never will.

                        David Levine
                        Process Engineer
                        Rapid Assay Solutions
                        IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
                        One IDEXX Drive
                        Westbrook, ME 04092
                        207-556-8893
                        207-632-4097 (cell)
                        207-556-8665 (fax)

                      • Levine, David
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 17, 2014
                          The Good
                          - Just some general stats. First downs - 33 to 17, first downs by rushing - 17 to 1, plays - 75 to 57, 3rd downs - 75% to 38%, Total yards - 501 to 322, rushing yards - 244 to 19, TOP - 34:21 to 25:39. That's how you win when you have 2 turnovers and only create 1.
                          - JG was tremendous. Gonna avoid any "50 Shades" references. 199 with 4 TDs in only his 4th pro game? Wow. He ran with power and vision. A true 1 cut RB who wants to head downhill. He showed good patience, often waiting for his blocking and always hit the hole hard. He never danced and went where the play was called to go. He isn't dynamic and won't make any highlight reel plays but he is a load.
                          - Flemming was great as a TE/OL hybrid. I don't get how Indy didn't react to us running it down their throat. We brought in another blocker and just kept slamming it up the middle. He was consistently either leading or sealing and I don't remember him missing a block. Smash mouth football that the Colts just never adjusted to. We only had 6 snaps with 3 or more WRs.
                          - Devlin was a beast, again. This guy is turning into one hell of a lead blocker. He was moving people out of the way, making huge holes for JG to run through.
                          - Everyone on the OL was doing a great job. We ran trap after trap and there was always a hole for the running back to get through. Even the short yardage situations were well blocked and well run. We got the yardage we needed and wore the Indy defense out.
                          - Run D was tremendous and made the Colts completely 1 dimensional. 17 carries for 19 yards which included a couple of Luck scrambles. When we were holding on to the 15 point lead late in the 3rd quarter, was anyone concerned with Indy's play action game? With that gone and no run game available, we could just sit on the pass all night.
                          - Holding Luck to 303 yards on 39 attempts (only 23 completions) is damn good considering the Colts had to throw and throw and throw. We gave up some big gainers and had a couple of lapses in coverage but the pass D was damn good.
                          - That especially includes Revis. He moved to Wayne late in the 1st quarter and shut him down, allowing us to double TY Hilton. That left a tough matchup on Fleener.
                          - Gronk was a man possessed on his TD catch. I have never seen anyone run like that for 25 yards. Was there any doubt that he would get into the end zone? He went into full beast mode and I think the DBs at the goal line were happy that he decided to leap over them instead of going through them.
                          - The Nicks TD was as good a catch as I have seen. Looked like Willie Mays looking over his shoulder, catching the ball with excellent coverage and still getting his feet down. There was nothing that could have been done better on either the O or the D on that play. Just good football.
                          - The way to answer a boneheaded play is to come out and march down the field after the half. We did just that. Our first 3 drives of the second half were all 80 yards and about 5 minutes long.
                          - Our LBs, Hightower and Collins were all over the field. They were always around the ball. Collins is a great open field tackler.
                          - BB and the coaching staff get full props for this win. They came out with a plan, stuck with it and dominated. When the Colts started moving the ball, they moved Revis, Browner and Arrington around and controlled the situation. This is why BB is the best coach around.
                          - The refs let everyone play. There were no ridiculous flags that I saw and only one glaring miss (see the bad). They said that this crew has called the fewest PI penalties and the game seemed to move at a good clip.
                          - The Indy TD on the tackle eligible was a nice design and we really need to make sure we are aware. He had to be announced as eligible by the refs but the D completely ignored him. Well done. (Nice EZ dance too).
                          - Anyone catch the Edelman block on the Gronk TD?
                          - You knew the game was over when Indy went for it on 4th and 10 from their own 35 with over 8 minutes left in the 4th. They had no answer to our run game and realized they had to do something. What was even better is that we made them pay for it with 7 points and not just 3.
                          - Vin still has it. This guy just doesn't stop.
                          - We have a 3 game lead over the Colts (our tiebreaker), a 2 game lead over the Broncos (our tiebreaker) and a 1 game lead over the Chefs (they have the tiebreaker).

                          The Bad
                          - Of all the plays Brady has made over the years, the pick at the end of the half may have been the worst throw/play call of them all. With 3rd and 1 and our running game dominating, he checks to a pass to Gronk and then just lobbed it up without even seeing the coverage. That had no chance of working whatsoever and cost us 7 points. Even if we run it up the middle and get stuffed. We punt and give Indy just over a minute to go about 60 yards. Dumb.
                          - Tyms had his opportunity and let it slip through his fingers, literally. He dropped the first pass of the game. Only had about 4 or 5 snaps and that was it.
                          - The refs missed the clear push off by Fleener on Browner for the big 3rd down conversion on the sideline. Tremendous catch but a clear push off, especially since Browner was on the ground. Could have been a huge swing but it turns out that it didn't matter.
                          - Penalties. As much as I liked Gronk finishing his block and "tossing Sergio Brown out of the club" he needs to tone it down. Ninkovich had 2 penalties as well. We need to get better for the playoffs.
                          - Edelman got banged up when he landed on the sticks. He looked a step slow all night but battled through it.
                          - It looks like the only guy who got dinged up for us was Flemming and he was on the field shaking hands after the game. I hope he's ok.

                          The Ugly
                          - The Mannings combined for 7 interceptions and 2 losses over the weekend. Peyton looked different and really had no zip on the ball throwing against an outstanding Rams D. Eli just plain looked terrible.
                          - Ahmad Brooks benched himself in protest of splitting time. He feels like he should play the entire game. The coaches started him but he was to rotate with someone else. So, he did what any sane person would do, sit on the bench, take off his cleats and pout.
                          - Marshawn Lynch stayed on the field at halftime instead of going into the locker room. He gave the excuse that he couldn't walk but he did play in the second half. Another guy who seems to be pouting.
                          - On one play, Indy was called for too many men on the field, offside and a personal foul facemask. This was on a 3rd and short too. The coach was livid at the fat boy who couldn't get off the field in time.
                          - The Broncos lost J Thomas, E Sanders and M Ball in the game. Welcome to the world of injuries Denver. Take a seat right next to us.

                          Dave
                        • Levine, David
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 19
                            The Good
                            - What more can you say about this team? AFC CHAMPIONS AGAIN.
                            - Brady was solid and seemed in command all game. It didn't matter what the D threw at him, he knew what was coming and always checked to the right play.
                            - Blount ran like a man possessed. His jump cuts were really impressive for a guy that size. The OL really loves blocking for this guy.
                            - Speaking of the OL, they played one of the best games all season. From Fleming as the extra lineman to the run blocking, to the protections, to the unbalanced lines, this group was flawless.
                            - Devlin gets props here. He played a monster game. The catch at the 1 and the power to get into the end zone was impressive for a guy who gets 1 touch every other game. He also managed to push Brady for 2 different key first downs. He made the most of his limited snaps and really made a difference to the run game.
                            - Ninkovich was a monster all game. He had a few pressures of Luck, forcing him to move and hurry his throws. He knocked down 2 passes (one he could have caught). He also was a force in the run game.
                            - Collins had a spectacular game. He was good in coverage and came up with a nice pick late. His best play, however, was on an outside run where he took on a blocker, still got the leverage to hold the corner and ended up making (or assisting in) the tackle. He is turning into the player we hoped he would be at the end of last year.
                            - Arrington shut down TY Hilton (with some safety help). One spectacular catch is all that he got all game. All the talk is about Revis but Arrington gives us just as much versatility.
                            - Revis was as advertised. No completions allowed and a pick when he ended up covering a guy he wasn't supposed to because of a pick play.
                            - Solder and Revis had as many catches as the entire Colts WR corps.
                            - It was clear that BB is a better coach than Pagano. Everything that we did worked. We made adjustments and added wrinkles that kept the Colts off balance and confused all game. The Colts ended up playing a vanilla game plan.
                            - If it weren't for Brady, Nate Solder may be the slowest human on the field. When he caught that ball and headed toward the end zone, it seemed like an eternity. However, once he got that 6'8", 320 pounds moving, do you think the 2 Colts standing on the goal line were scared? That is a large man running at you. Just when you thought Gronk was a large guy to bring down, here comes this truck.
                            - Every time the refs announced someone eligible or ineligible, the crowd went nuts. This is great. Love the smarts of the fans. They were loud all game. Saw a tweet that when they played "Jump Around" the press box started shaking.
                            - "I only have one thing to say. We're on to Seattle." See. BB does have a sense of humor.
                            - Every time we kicked the ball, the first one down the field was Slater. Loved the finger wag when the guy took a knee instead of running it out. Special teams really does make a difference in the game.
                            - Boldin absolutely lit up someone on the punt return. Huge, clean block.
                            - I thought the officials were much better than last week. They did miss a bunch of holding at the end of the half (especially on the Gronk pass) but I thought they did a decent job. They let everyone play and kept the game moving.

                            The Bad
                            - Brady threw a pick when we were driving to go up 3 scores early. Even a field goal in that spot really takes the Colts out of the game. Bad throw, forcing it to a covered Gronk. Can't make that mistake next week against a great D like Seattle
                            - This is the second game in a row where a linesman doesn't drop the sticks when a player is being tackled. You could tell Edelman really hurt himself there.
                            - Another low snap to the punter. We really need a new long snapper. Too many close calls.
                            - Vince shouldn't complain about the 15 yarder he picked up. Leading with a forearm to the head is a sure way of getting a flag. Thought it was ticky tack at first but the replay confirmed what he did. Good call by the officials.
                            - Why didn't we pull Brady earlier? On his last pass, he got hit low and went down awkwardly. Too close for comfort on that one.
                            - When Revis when out, did everyone hold their breath? I instantly thought to last year when Talib went out early and our D fell apart against Denver.

                            The Ugly
                            - When Revis went out, I first thought it was a leg (thanks Simms) but when they started looking at his neck, I thought it was a stinger. It wasn't until the 5th replay that they showed the correct angle of him getting kicked in the head. Concussion protocol.
                            - Another "scandal" is brewing. The balls were under-inflated. No proof yet but everyone is jumping to conclusions. How come when we win, we only do it by cheating. I am tired of the constant complaining. I'm sure under-inflated balls are why Blount ran for 150 and 3 TDs. No, the OL dominated. Each team plays with their own set of balls and set them up to within the rules. Rodgers has stated that he likes to over-inflate the balls as he feels it give him better grip. Where is the investigation into Green Bay? Aren't the officials supposed to check everything before the game? We set up the balls, give them to the officials and then go play the game. How can we then alter them? With 300 cameras around, a ball attendant would have to deflate balls on the sideline without anyone seeing them and then keep his mouth shut? I call bull. Haters will hate but just another reason to dislike the Pats. We only win by cheating. The refs took a ball out of the game to look at. Why couldn't they make a determination right there?
                            - Nice to see the Packers roll over and quit. You have to play the full 60 minutes, not just 55. With 5 to go and you get the ball with a pick and a 2 score lead, you slide down like its over instead of getting a lot more yards. They then went conservative on offense. It was 19-7 with just over 2 minutes to go and they go conservative on defense. Nothing sums up their feeling like they had already won than Ha Ha's pathetic play on the 2 point conversion. No attempt to make a play on the ball or the receiver on a cross field duck. Just let the guy catch it. A pass interference is a better play than just standing there. Green Bay quit when they thought they had it won. In OT, they go man up and let the only WR worth anything beat their corner deep to win. No safety help? Wow.
                            - I feel sorry for Bostick. He catches that ball and they go to the Super Bowl. It's just like BB preaches. Do your job. Your job was to block for Jordy Nelson first, catch the ball second. He chose wrong.
                            - I am really tired of players thanking god for the win. God doesn't care about football or a single person's physical abilities. Russell Wilson crying during the interview about god made me sick. Does anyone who believes in a god, whoever that god is, really think he cares about a football game? I watched the high school all star game the other day and all the players, when interviewed, first wanted to thank god. Go ahead any believe in a deity. Have faith in a higher power. I think it's important. Don't try and tell me you are better than me or anyone else because god makes you better. It partially comes from genetics, work ethic and preparation. Please don't take this a s a knock on religion. You should believe whatever you want to believe. But god doesn't help you throw a football, hit a baseball or put a ball through a hoop.

                            Dave
                          • Steve Basile
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 19
                              Thank you Dave, for another excellent analysis.  I really look forward to these GBUs, especially when there is so much GOOD!

                              I am still about 3 feet off the ground after watching the game with 200 screaming Pats fans and a bit too much beer. And stunned that a very crappy-looking Russell Wilson came away with a win against a team that was better for about 55 minutes.

                              And a special thanks for noting that, assuming there is a God, that he's not helping anyone win (or lose) sporting competitions.  A pet peeve.

                              Steve Basile
                              Manager/Partner
                              B.D. Riley's Irish Pub
                              Austin, TX
                              Official Home: Austin Patriots Club
                              Web: www.bdrileys.com

                              On Jan 19, 2015, at 10:06 AM, 'Levine, David' david-levine@... [patriotzip] <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                            • frankdanabrewster
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 19
                                Good summary as always, Dave. Only things I would add...

                                Good;
                                - Josh Kline acquitted himself quite well, after being much maligned in previous outings.

                                Bad;
                                - Will Jim Nantz every learn how to pronounce big Vince's name? It ain't that hard.

                                - Thanking god for getting through a game without injury is certainly OK with me, but I agree with your sentiment.

                                fdb
                              • Mark Morse
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 20
                                  Glad you had Develin listed in the "Good". He did play a monster game in limited snaps. I was very impressed with his blocking. He blew up the MLB abd NT on several plays, opening up big holes for Bount!

                                  Also the secondary limiting the Colts WR's to two catches ... Luck found as many Patriots and he did Colts WR's. Luck's QB rating was an abysmal 23!

                                  I also think the officials got the call wrong on the "illegal" substitution penalty on Nate Solder. Solder was in the game the previous play and doesn't have to report as ineligible, his number indicates he is ineligible. Fleming came in and reported eligible. The officials were confused and decided to punish the Patriots because they were confused and felt they were trying to deceive the Colts. They took it upon themselves to invent a rule! The claim that Solder was the TE is crap.

                                  BTW it was absolutely brilliant of belicick to have Fleming come in so many times as an eligible player, only to switch it to Solder on the TD play. The crowd roared every time that fleming was announced as eligible or Hooman was ineligible.

                                  To: "patriotzip@yahoogroups.com" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com>, "patriots@..." <patriots@...>