Re: [patriotzip] The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Steelers)

  • Steve Basile
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 15, 2010
      Great analysis as usual.

      Best call I heard about a Pitt defender after "Law Firm" BJGE broke an attempted tackle for extra yards "He tackled two of the 4 names, but didn't get all of him..."

      Baze

      On Nov 15, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Levine, David wrote:

      The Good
      • Gronk had a game that he will be trying to duplicate for his career.  Nice job getting open and running routes.  First TD was a thing of beauty.  Tight coverage, perfect throw, difficult catch.  The other 2 were just him selling the play and getting open for easy scores.
      • Brady was masterful.  He was on all night long.  I only saw 2 passes that were really off target.  Everything he threw was right on the numbers or just out of reach of the defender.  Perfect execution of the playbook, solid audibles to help with protection, and great awareness of the field.  Loved the QB sneak for the TD.  Typically don’t see that from 4 yards out but with the center uncovered and the DTs way outside, why not try it.  You could hear the shout as he spiked the ball too.  Unbridled emotion all game.
      • BJGE gets the initials back.  Against a tough D, he ran hard and moved the chains.  Nothing pretty but those were some tough 80+ yards.
      • Mike Wright gets a spot to himself.  He was a man amongst boys out there.  Constant pressure, sacks, run stops.  He had  a game.
      • Guyton was great in pass D.  He was dropping into coverage quite a bit and did a solid job on a dangerous TE.  TBC had a nice game as well.
      • The BB blitz scheme was something that I was waiting for all year.  We sent people all game long and they were actually getting to the QB instead of being picked up.  We were harassing Ben all game long and forced him to make some very poor throws.  5 sacks and countless pressures was what we needed to take them out of the game plan.
      • Except for one 30+ yard run, we were giving the Steelers nothing all game.  It was great to watch us actually stay with the blocks and make the sure tackle.
      • This was the first game since 1985 where the 2 starting QBs both had multiple rings.
      • We couldn’t have asked for a better way to start the game.  Our D forces a 3 and out.  We get the ball and march down the field for a score.
      • The perfection of the entire game.  Everything was like you drew it up.  Only screw up was the handoff to BJGE where they collided.  Neither panicked and the play went for a short gain.  Could have been disastrous but it worked out fine.
      • I liked the explanations of the ref.  He did a nice job explaining the Ward non-catch and the other challenge.
      • We took one of the best players in the game and made him confused.  Anyone hear Polamolu’s name called?  Other than the time he came flying through on a blitz and completely missed the play because it went the other way, he was silent.
      • After the long PI on Merriweather, we were able to hold for a FG attempt.  Solid D and disciplined play was the key.
      • At 9:12, we are up but I wrote 2 notes.  The first said “make them work for it”.  The second said “force a turnover” (with the “a” underlined).  I even said to myself, it doesn’t need to be a pick 6, just a turnover.  First play 12 yards.  I then the turnover.  The next note said “thanks”.  Pittsburgh then marches down the field (really sprints as it was so fast) for a TD.  I then wrote “onsides recovery”  which happened.  Following 2 BJGE runs for a 1st down, I wrote “2 first downs wins the game”.  3rd down pass to Gronk for a TD and I wrote, “or that”.  Prophetic or divine inspiration?  I don’t care, I am buying a lottery ticket on the way home.
      • Branch being healthy is a wonderful thing.  He really opens things up.  Having 2 solid possession WRs with 2 solid possession TEs, and a RB who can catch it out of the backfield, you don’t know who to cover.
      • Woodhead is fearless.  He stepped up and took on blitzing LBs without fear.
      • Alge was a very underrated pickup.  His blocking has been excellent and he still has the hands to make a couple of plays.
      • The entire OL kept Tommy Boy clean and upright against a great blitzing team.  Great job all around.
      • What other team would like up their 5’8” primary WR as fullback, motion him and then throw for a 20 yard gain.

      The Bad
      • Snap-hold-kick.  It can be so simple at times.  Other times, you miss an extra point or a 28 yard FG.
      • Lining up in the neutral zone on a key 3rd down stop almost cost us 4 points.  We were lucky to hold for a FG there.
      • The Jets once again get lucky.  If the ball doesn’t bounce their way, they could be 6-4 right now.
      • How would you feel to be the Houston player on the Hail Mary.  He is taught not to catch the ball but knock it down.  He hits it solidly with both hand, hard.  Everything perfect, except that a Jax player was standing right there for the TD.  Heartbreaking.
      • Our overall defensive numbers were skewed by that last 6 minutes of the game. Where things were getting out of hand.  We played great but the numbers don’t show it.
      • Think Tom was fired up after Woodhead was stopped on that 3rd and 4 run.  Not sure what he was so pissed about unless someone missed a block that would have gotten us a first down.
      • Chung had a very solid game but he kept getting hurt.  I hope it was just random minor things because he is turning into a really nice player.
      • The chop block, though technically a penalty was BS.  Morris was doing his job by cutting the unblocked rusher.  Just as he was getting there, Light reaches out and puts his hands on him.  Ticky tack at best but, by the letter of the law, a penalty.
      • Hernandez only had a handful of snaps that I could see.  Mostly Gronk and Alge.  Probably a scheme thing as the other 2 were always on the field from what I saw.

      The Ugly
      • I thought the refs missed some very blatant calls.  On one long Steeler pass late in the 4th, there were 2 blatant holds on the same play, neither was called and there was a huge gain.  How does Edelman call for a fair catch on a punt and still take a solid shoulder hit from a gunner?  Going after Brady’s knees with no penalty?
      • Harrison should be suspended for a game for the late hit on Brady.  Ball gone, 2 steps later he pops Brady between the shoulder blades.  Add this to his prior transgressions and he should be gone for a game.
      • I was pissed at BB for challenging the Ward catch.  Since the ruling on the field was a completion, the clock ran out the quarter.  We go to break.  Come back and BB challenges.  Long delay for the challenge.  The call is overturned.  Time is now put back on the clock so we are back to the 1st quarter again.  Wait a couple of minutes to switch ends of the field again, run 1 play and take another break for the end of the quarter.  Painful.
      • Anyone catch the following?  “Woodhead tried to burrow his way to a first down but is a little short.”  Funny thing, he actually got the first down.
      • I looked but I don’t think there is a play for 3rd and 30.  There certainly isn’t one for 4th and 37.  Pittsburg started their drive in good field position at the 36.  After 1 first down, they needed the Pat’s 38 for another 1st down.  After a hold, an incompletion, 2 sacks, a 12 yard punt return and 5 yard penalty tacked on for good measure, we had the ball at our own 42, 6 yards from where this whole mess started.
      • Washington just signed a guy who can’t run a 2 minute drill to a 5 year extension.  Smart, very smart.
      • I am headed down to Miami.  There are open tryouts to be their starting QB.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 16, 2010
        Nothing about the offense surprised me. They are, as everybody who can spell
        "football" knows, adjusting to a very different "Moss-less" offense. (Or,
        should I say, returning to it, for those who were there before he arrived.)
        I've had no doubt that Brady would get it back; and that the rest of the
        team would adjust to it. Clearly, it's happening.

        But the D has made me begin to think that BB may know more about the game,
        and about his players, that I do. No, really, it IS possible! ;-) As we
        watched the blitz schemes that many of us have been screaming for all season
        begin to appear; I began to wonder if he hadn't been intentionally holding
        back on his complex schemes until the kids on this Kindergarten Defense were
        ready to take on more. Right now, that's my theory. I think he wanted the
        kids to get used to playing in the NFL, and get used to playing as a unit,
        before stuffing their heads with his scrambled X's and O's. OK, Kids, you're
        old enough for something different than vanilla. Here are some new flavors
        of defense for you to try! :-)

        In any case, it was a wonderful game to watch, for Pats' fans. Let's all
        chant together now ... WE WANT MORE! ... WE WANT MORE! ... WE WANT MORE!

        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 16, 2010
          I'm concerned about Chung's injury future. The kid is in on damn near every
          play, all over the field. He plays with such abandon that he seems always to
          be just one wrong step, or one vicious collision, away from an injury. It's
          great to watch, of course. But it's also scary. Very much reminds me of
          Polamalu.

          You need to elevate Chung to the good ... injuries were described as
          cramps.  He
          is a game changer for the Pats D.  He didn't play in the Browns game and it
          showed!
           Mark Morse
          Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 16, 2010
            Steve,

            Get back to me , I have a line on 1 ticket for Sunday Colts game.

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 16, 2010
              Thanks for the ticket thing.  Cash?

              I'll tell Dean where he's sitting once you tell me!!

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 6, 2013
                The Good
                - That is the offence we used to know. For the first time all season, we played a game that looked like we could score at will. Even when it was tied, I had no doubts that we would score again, and again.
                - Dobson looked really good out there. The back shoulder TD grab was sensational. He made a real nice move on the bomb to get open and run away from the defense. He looks to be a keeper.
                - Gronk makes such a difference out there. He commands so much attention and is still impossible to stop. Other than the blow to the nuts, he came out healthy once again.
                - Brady looked much more comfortable. The TD to Amendola was textbook. He looked off the safety and came back to his primary target all along.
                - I loved the play calling. We remained committed to the run game and took shots when we needed to. The last TD was a beautiful play. 3 TEs at a time when we were looking to run out the clock. Play action draws the safeties in and Dobson essentially had a 1 on 1 matchup on the outside with late help. Perfect throw, catch and overall execution.
                - Vellano and C Jones continue to play like high draft picks. Both guys are making all the plays.
                - If it wasn't for McCourty, there would be a lot of big gains against us. He is playing really well this year. He is solid in coverage, quick to help and stellar at tackling in the open field. He took on the RB a couple of times and won.
                - Edelman continues to impress on punt returns. He has a knack of finding the hole and making a play. The return at the end of the 3rd quarter was fantastic.
                - Ridley is playing like a man possessed. He is being patient in the backfield and when he finds the hole, he explodes with power, speed and strength. He is making people miss and running through tackles. He needs to get the ball more.
                - Though he missed the block on the 1 yard run from the 1, Hooman continues to play at a very high level.

                The Bad
                - Gregory, Ninkovich and Collie did not finish the game. Collie is now gone, Gregory has a broken thumb and who knows about Ninkovich. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. We need to get healthy. The problem is that Vince and Mayo are not coming back and losing Tommy Kelly really hurts the D.
                - Hightower and Spikes are way too slow to play in coverage. We are a much better team with Fletcher in there.
                - We need to stop running the stretch play with Blount. He isn't fast enough to get outside. Ridley can do it but we don't block it very well.
                - I thought last week had taken care of the halftime adjustments but we again didn't come out of the break well. We had the ball with a 14 point lead and then the next thing you know, we are tied.
                - Is there something wrong with Mankins? He had 2 more penalties and missed a block for a sack.

                The Ugly
                - I think this is the end of the line for Polomalu. I love the way he plays the game but the man has lost a couple of steps. He was late on the Gronk TD, completely misplayed the Amendola TD, and was not a factor in the run game. His one nice play to force a fumble on Ridley was overshadowed by his lack of speed on the field.
                - The series at the 1 was terrible all the way around. Gronk was really close to a TD but we didn't challenge on 3rd down. We then run Bolden off tackle for a TD on 4th down but that was overturned on review. But wait, Polomalu was offsides so we essentially get another down from the same place. Then we try the same play again but are stuffed. Pittsburgh gets the ball and commits a false start which again doesn't move the ball. Roethleshamburger then throws up a duck while falling backwards that is picked off by McCourty. Next play we score. What an ugly couple of plays.
                - Can we please come up with a defense that can stop 3rd and 30. Giving up 29 ½ yards to give Pittsburgh the opportunity to go for it on 4th down is pathetic. We just can't stop the 3rd down play.
                - You know your team isn't good when you have a lineman named Whimper.
                - 2 coaches go down with health issues. Never like to see that.

                Dave
              • Levine, David
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 11, 2015
                  The Good
                  - Your 4 time super bowl champion New England Patriots won their season opener.
                  - Thought having T Pain for the intro was a little tacky but the more I think about it, I liked it. Especially with the Springfield Orchestra.
                  - Loved seeing Ty, Troy and Willie Mac get the honor of bringing out the trophies.
                  - This just in, the Patriots are being investigated for narrowing the width of the field by 6", causing Hayward-Bay to step out of bounds on a TD catch in what is being dubbed Widthgate.
                  - Looks like the preseason is very overrated. Brady's stats in the preseason had people concerned. Um, I think he did alright in his 2015 debut.
                  - Looks like the preseason is very overrated part deux. Gronk was a beast. He caught all but 3 passes thrown his way and 2 of those was because he was out of bounds.
                  - Deion Lewis is really shifty. He made defenders look foolish on quite a few plays. His jump cut is nasty and he just seems to have that extra shimmy in his gitty-up.
                  - This just in, the Patriots are being investigated for turning on huge fans, pushing 2 field goal attempts wide right in what is being called Windgate.
                  - Edelman is a really tough cover from the slot. I am glad he is starting to get the recognition that he deserves.
                  - "Where is Roger? Where is Roger?"
                  - Our rookie OL held up extremely well. There were a few breakdowns but for the most part, they kept TB12 clean.
                  - Loved the garbage time TD for Brown. I have him on my fantasy team. As a side note, I also have Gronk so last night worked out well for me.
                  - The crowd was loud. Great to have football back.

                  The Bad
                  - We gave up way too many yards on the ground. I know that we were in the nickel most of the night and were playing with a light front 4 but we were not containing the edge very well.
                  - This just in, the Patriots are being investigated for causing the rain to start just as the Steelers were trying to mount their comeback in what is being called Raingate.
                  - There is no excuse for fumbling at the 1. I am shocked (but glad) that Lewis wasn't benched for it.
                  - Butler got a bad rap for his coverage. On 2 of Brown's catches, he was in perfect position. The one off his helmet and the other for the TD. He was close on a couple others too. He'll be OK this year.
                  - Another year, another failed goal line run. We need to block these situations better. I don't know why we can't convert running inside the 5.
                  - Brady's one long pass of the game was just a bit too strong for the wide open Amendola.
                  - This just in, the Patriots have been cleared of using large fans to push the field goals wide but are now being investigated for getting all the fans on the left side of the stadium to blow at the same time to push the field goal wide in what is being called Blowgate.
                  - The pass D was not good. I know it's early in the season and the O is usually way ahead of the D but we need to do something.
                  - I thought we'd be able to put some more pressure on the QB but we really didn't.

                  The Ugly
                  - Good thing the Steelers traded for a kicker instead of picking one up off the scrap heap. Missing your first 2 kicks will get you fired. I was shocked that he even had a job after the half.
                  - This just in, the Pats are now being investigated for locking the gate, not allowing the Steelers into the stadium in what is being dubbed Gategate.
                  - The Steelers employed the unique concept of not covering Gronk. "It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let see if it pays off for 'em." Um, Gronk is one of the largest human beings on the planet. How do you not see him?
                  - The Steelers also employed the little used 10 men on the field defense in the attempt to confuse the offence.
                  - Roethlesshamburger said after the game that he didn't know if there was a rule against the defense shifting in the red zone. He did, however, notice that the Pats regularly do it on his film review. Then why didn't you prep for it?
                  - 2 other things that the Pats do regularly. On 3 and 1, Brady will sneak it over the center. 9 times out of 10, no one is covering the center on the D. Worked twice last night. Also, we will start in a goal line heavy formation and then split Gronk out wide. Usually a LB goes to cover him. Brady throws his way 9 times out of 10 for the TD. How does no one see this coming?
                  - This just in, the Pats are now being investigated for outscoring their opponents in what is being called Scoregate.

                  Dave
                • DavidBrunat

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 11, 2015

                      Dave,

                      LOVE your first line…YOUR 4-time SB champs won their first game!!!!!

                      My sides are so sore from laughing out loud at all your “gates”….how many did you list?

                      Let’s see--width, wind, rain, blow, gate, and score. The funniest one was the Gategate where they locked the Steelers out!!

                      Then David put another one down and I add Devilgate because Gronk is a beast, so that must mean we made a deal with the devil, right?

                      Plus, the Roethlesshamburger quip was priceless!! Bunch of whiny pansies out there…can’t beat us, so whip up Pansygate (or Wussgate).

                      Can’t think of anything else to add—this one was pretty complete!

                      Are you going to comment on the rest of the games?

                      The funny thing is that WE are the only ones that anyone is talking about.

                      NO one is talking about the Hags, even though they have them listed as number one going into the season and us at #2.

                      No one is talking about Peyton or the Eagles or Rogers or Romo or the Jacksonville Jaguars.

                      If you didn’t know any better, you’d think we are the only game in town. Flattering? In some ways, yes…as you said it means they are in every team’s head.

                      Annoying? Yes, it’s annoying on some levels too and BB get mad today I noticed.

                      The theme of this year’s NFL season sounds like Paranoia-ville, doesn’t it?

                      Susan

                      CA

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 11, 2015

                        David,

                        Good ...I think you need to single out Undrafted Rookie Center David Andrews.  He was the only OL to play whole game and he held his own.   The numerous substitutions I believe was planned strategy to keep the OL fresh.  They ran no huddle a lot.  Remember last years 1st games against Miami in that game the LO wilted in the heat and humidity of South Florida.

                        Ugly ...The TV didn't capture this ... the Patriots run a contest that has three fans trying to kick Field Goals.  This is usually done before the game, but this night its run at halftime.  Usually the contestants are brutal trying to make the kick.  Not this night. The 1st kicker booms through the goal posts into the net.  It would have been good from 30 yards out.  The next contestant hit a line drive through the goalpost.  The pressure is on the 3rd kicker, and his kick just makes it over the bar.  Crowd goes wild and announcer John Rook blares over the loudspeaker  "the Steelers are looking for a kicker"!  classic

                        Ugly... Did everyone at home see Mike Aronson on the National TV Broadcast!  It was a crowd shot right after Bob Kraft came out with the 4th Lombardi trophy.  The Ugly part was that a Steelers fan is taking a picture right in front of me ... blocked my lovely mug from that same clip.  I was standing right next to Mike.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 11, 2015

                          Wow, Mark…talk about a major photobomb!

                          That’s too bad…lol! Would have been a nice shot.

                          Susan

                          CA

                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 11, 2015
                            I set my DVR for 8 30.  When the recording begins, Michale shows up within the first five seconds.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 12, 2015
                               See I was on TV!  Look at the camera in front of my face!
                              Jay Robert Sager's photo.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 12, 2015
                                Yes, those beady little eyes look familiar! ;-)

                                --- George
                                Just DO YOUR JOB, and count the wins.

                                On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 8:56 PM, Mark Morse packy001@... [patriotzip] <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                              • john cahalane
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 12, 2015
                                  Nice video

                                  Not only is Edelman a great receiver he is good pulling his Internet videos together.

                                  Yes, those beady little eyes look familiar! ;-)

                                  --- George
                                  Just DO YOUR JOB, and count the wins.

                                  On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 8:56 PM, Mark Morse packy001@... [patriotzip]
                                  <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                  >  See I was on TV!  Look at the camera in front of my face!
                                  > [image: Jay Robert Sager's photo.]
                                  >
                                  > Mark Morse Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
                                  > http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RazorsEdgeTailgate/
                                  >

                                  > On Friday, September 11, 2015 9:41 PM, "Ed Bryant edbryant36@...
                                  > [patriotzip]" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  >

                                  > I set my DVR for 8 30.  When the recording begins, Michale shows up within
                                  > the first five seconds.
                                  >
                                  > ------------------------------

                                • Levine, Dave
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 25, 2016

                                    The Good

                                    -          Blount ran angry.  He is such a big man and has some moves.  Made someone look silly on the last TD.  Open field, 1 on 1 and he wasn’t touched.

                                    -          Gronk is all the way back.  He is running with ease and looks almost graceful.  Someone has to look up how many times he’s been tackled inside the 5.  He ends up short of the goal line a ton for some reason.

                                    -          Interesting choice to only run a 1 TE offence most of the time.  Gronk and Bennett were rarely on the field at the same time.  Most alignments were RB/TE/3 WR for whatever reason.  It worked but completely different than last week.  If we can be a chameleon like that, how do you game plan against us?

                                    -          Brady has officially qualified for the passing statistics and he leads almost every relevant category.

                                    -          Through 7 games, the Pats have still not thrown an interception.  216 attempts.  12 TDs.

                                    -          We have really good blockers at the skill position.  On Blount’s last TD, Bennett, Gronk and Edelman sealed the end and allowed him to walk in.  I love that everyone is willing to do whatever it takes.

                                    -          Andrews and Thuney were completely responsible for the White screen TD.  They wiped out the defenders leaving White open to get moving.  Once up to speed, it was all over.

                                    -          Cannon has really stepped up his game.  He has improved greatly over last year.

                                    -          Chung had a monster game.  He was all over the field making tackles and covering the TE.  He is so valuable to this team.

                                    -          Other than the one long pass to Brown, the DBs played well.  They were in position and made some plays.  There were other times when we were just beaten but the coverage was great (TD pass, 3rd down conversion in the 4th quarter).  Butler was in perfect position for the pick.

                                    -          Everyone on this team tackles.  Love it.

                                    -          The Portland Bulldogs completed the regular season with a rout of South Portland, bringing their record to 7 and 1.  They have secured a 1st round bye in the playoffs and home field advantage throughout.  The D has really picked up the intensity (pitching back to back shutouts) and the O is clicking on all cylinders right now (4 plays of 50 yards or more).

                                    -          Ben and I had a fantastic time watching the game at Mark’s house.  Great food and great company.  It was a lot of fun seeing everyone and it made the win that much more enjoyable.  I even followed the rules to ensure a Pats victory.  Superstition abound in that household but it’s worth it.  The man-cave is something to behold.  Can’t wait to see it with the finished bar.

                                    The Bad

                                    -          We put absolutely no pressure on Landry, giving him all the time in the world to throw.  There were times we rushed 2 or 3 guys and really they looked to be in contain mode more than sack mode.  I don’t think even Chandler Jones would have saved this.  We need to find a way to get the QB off their spot.

                                    -          Edelman cannot fumble that ball.  Up 2 scores half way through the 4th quarter, we can bleed the clock and possibly score again and end the game.  He held it out there for anyone to hit it.  Know the situation and give up yardage to maintain possession.

                                    -          I am very tired of Bolden.  This was another drop in a key situation.  A couple of weeks ago it was a TD.  This week a first down that would have kept the drive alive and potentially ice the game.  A blunder on ST allowed a punt to go into the end zone instead of downing it inside the 5.

                                    -          At the time, I thought taking the 54 yard FG down 11 was the right call by Tomlin but looking back at it, they don’t have the kicker we do.  Should have given the ball to Bell and hope for the best (which is pretty damn good).

                                    -          Pittsburgh’s general awareness of football.  On the first rushing TD, they were so late in getting aligned that it was an easy score.  Their 2 minute offence was pathetically slow taking close to 25 seconds between plays.  Not in much of a hurry.

                                    -          Looking at the D, I get very frustrated about the yards we give up.  We make it easy on the offence to move the ball.  Then I look at the scoreboard and realize we don’t give up many points.  If the D keeps it below 20, we win.  It’s that simple.  They are doing that.

                                    -          The WWE tackle on Hogan was a legit penalty.  Can’t do that.  The 15 yarder on Hightower was a bit ticky tack.  Yes, Collins picked up the ball carrier and yes, Hightower bumped into him but no one went to the ground and there wasn’t a hit.  It was just as the whistle was blown so you really can’t fault Donte.

                                    -          BB complained that TB12 has to make better decisions when he runs.  He had 3 rushes for 11 yards and 3 first downs.  One was a designed QB sneak for a yard.  The other 2 were just plain smart football plays to keep drives going.  He really is just a grumpy man at times.

                                    -          Another miss from Ghost.  BB had his back after the game which is good.  We just need to get him a kick that he can drill and feel good about.  Something with meaning from distance.  He makes that and he stops thinking so much.  Good thing is he is taking responsibility and looking at ways to improve his mechanics.

                                    -          That was the first bad punt by Allen all year.  Shanked one at the end of the half.

                                    -          Logan Ryan was replaced by Justin Coleman after getting burned a couple of times.

                                    The Ugly

                                    -          Gronk on tying Stanly Morgan’s team record for most TDs…  “one more and I’ll have 69 if you know what I mean.”  What are you, 9?

                                    -          M Crabtree was penalized 15 yards for celebrating after a TD.  What did he do?  He threw the ball into the air and pointed to his shoulder.  Wow.  That seems over the top.  How dare he show emotion on the field after catching a TD.  Next they will ban Gronk’s spike for being abusive to the ball.

                                    -          Pittsburgh has some aversion to covering Gronk.  He was wide open on the TD with the safety completely abandoning the seam route to cover Dola on a deep curl.  Yeah, that’s who I’d choose to double team.

                                    -          Mike Tomlin is a moron.  Why would you challenge the Gronk “fumble”?  Basically, what part of his body wasn’t down.  Elbow, knee, hip, back, butt, and other elbow before the ball came out.  Doesn’t someone talk to him?  That made him lose a challenge meaning 1 left for the game and a time out that could have been used on the final drive of the half where they settled for a FG.

                                    -          That Monday night game.  Ugly on all levels.  Missed 2 chip shot FGs in the closing minutes to end in a tie?  Wow.

                                    -          Even though Butler made fun on A Brown’s dance, it seemed all in good nature.  Saw the 2 shake hands and hug toward the end of the game and Butler had nothing but great things to say about Brown.

                                    Dave

                                  • Mark Morse
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 25, 2016
                                    Dave,

                                    Thanks for the nice words about the viewing party.  Great food and good companionship.

                                    Pittsburgh doubled Gronk nearly the entire game.  Three times they did not and Brady burned them each time.

                                    The Steelers run defense is pretty bad after giving up 200 to Jay Ajayi and then 100 to Blount.  I read where OLB Sazier called out his teammates for the porous run defense.  Shazier should look in the mirror and look at the tape.  That was Edelman collapsing him inside and clearing the way for the Blount TD.  Shazier is only 218 lbs and get shoved around like a rag doll.

                                    Saw an article today that Pittsburgh was trying to bait the Patriots into running the ball, hoping to keep it close and have the Pats use up the clock.  Pats didn't bite and ran more passing plays to running plays.

                                    Mark Morse

[...]

                                  • Dave Brunat

                                    Message 19 of 30 , Oct 25, 2016

                                      Good analysis, Dave!

                                      I envy your tailgating with Mark…sounds like fun and I wish I could be there too!!

                                      I can’t wait to see another Endzone Militia photo! You guys probably wish I’d never seen that on TV, huh?

                                      The teams in the NFL should know by now that BB doesn’t buy into any “bait” ploys…lol!

                                      Guess they all have to try, huh? We’ll see what bait schemes RR comes up with this weekend.

                                      Good luck to the Portland Bulldogs!!

                                      Susan

                                      GO PATS!!!!!

                                      Message 20 of 30 , Oct 25, 2016
                                        I have a special, personal “Good” item to add:

                                        The Good

                                         - Having the NFL Network send a camera crew and team of producers to your pub for two days to interview you and fans and film the packed house on game day for the first-ever episode of a series called “Greetings From…” about transplanted fan bases!  So happy and proud to be representing PatriotNation.  Will let y'all know when it airs, on NFL Network, and NFL Mobile, NFL.com etc.

                                        Woo Hoo!

                                        Baze

                                        --
                                        Steve Basile
                                        Chief Fanatic

                                        On Oct 25, 2016, at 12:17 PM, 'Levine, Dave' dave-levine@... [patriotzip] <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                        <image002.jpg>

[...]

                                      • Peter Anderson
                                        Message 21 of 30 , Oct 25, 2016

                                          Congrats Steve!  Looking forward to the episode!

                                          Peter

                                          Message 22 of 30 , Oct 25, 2016

                                            AWESOME, Steve!!

                                            Be sure to let us know…looking forward to it!!

                                            Susan

                                              Message 24 of 30 , Oct 25, 2016
                                                COOL, Steve! (I hope you took all the Hillary stickers off the wall before they started taping.) :-)

                                                --- George
                                                I oppose Hillary for President!

                                                Message 25 of 30 , Oct 26, 2016

                                                  NO….don’t take them away!!!!

                                                  I just now found them…lol!

                                                  Has Mr. Baddy said anything about them?

                                                  You’d think he’d be all over that like a rash…but the Bucs shoot off a cannon as well.

                                                  What do you think about the Buffalo game?

                                                  Wonder what ploys and plots Mr. RR has in store for us…lol!

                                                  Then a bye and I need to look up the second half schedule!

                                                  Susan

                                                  Message 26 of 30 , Jan 24
                                                    The Good
                                                    - Chris Hogan was running open all game and made the Steelers pay for it. On the 1st TD, he had his hand up from the 10 yard line all the way to the end zone. I'm shocked he stayed open that long and TB12 hit him. He also had a beautiful fake on the flea flicker. He made it look like he was blocking and then just accelerated away from the safety. Huge gains all day.
                                                    - TB12 had his best playoff game ever. 75% completions, nearly 400 yards, 3 TDs, no picks. GOAT.
                                                    - The OL. They should be in a category higher than good but rules are rules. There was no pressure on Brady and he had all day to throw. The pocket was clean and he could survey the field. They were able to knock arms down to clear the passing lane and never had a screw-up. The run blocking wasn't great but when TB12 is throwing it all over the yard, it doesn't matter.
                                                    - Edelman had a quiet 100+ yards. With all the fireworks, he just did his thing like normal.
                                                    - The goal line D. Twice we stopped them in the red zone. First with goal to go at the 6" line, we came up with a stop for a loss of 1, stop for a loss of 4 and an incompletion. Next time at the 6, we stuffed 2 runs and then the penalty for illegal touching and a 4th down incompletion.
                                                    - Tedy's streak remains intact. He is now 9-0 when honorary captain.
                                                    - The job the DBs did on the WRs. Butler shadowed Brown most of the day but with safety help, Brown didn't do anything. Rowe and Ryan both did a nice job on Ben's secondary options.
                                                    - The up-tempo game we came out with really surprised the Steelers. Not sure how they weren't ready for it.
                                                    - Marty's celebration with the cheerleaders was just plain joy. He seems so happy to be on this team.
                                                    - LG went full Blount force trauma, carrying almost the entire D down to the 1. The crowd went nuts and sounded loud through the TV.
                                                    - No penalties on either team in the first half. Refreshing.
                                                    - Devlin finally gets a touch. Love that we come in with a heavy package and then split everyone out wide. How does the D plan for that?
                                                    - 2 reasons why we are the best coached team in the league. When the Pitt WR stepped out of bounds in the end zone, the DB (Rowe?) stopped covering him and went somewhere else, knowing he was ineligible. Result was Roethlesshamburger targeting the wide open receiver for a loss of down. Second was Dola's heads up play to knock the onside kick out of bounds. He knows that hitting it backward is not a penalty but forward is. This is good, situational coaching.
                                                    - After getting the ball inside the 10 and the game not completely out of hand, the O managed a first down to get us some room and then a 58 yard punt flipped the field and forced a long, time consuming drive. That is how to put away a game.
                                                    - Before the game I wrote down these keys. 1) contain Brown and not give up the big play. Let him catch the underneath stuff but he can kill you with the 20+ yard chunks. 2) the DL has to play like Bell runs, patient. Bell will get his but we can't be overly aggressive and open up those holes. 5 yards a pop is fine. 3) on O, get some rhythm going. Not necessarily full on hurry up but a faster pace to get the D tired. I ain't no dummy.
                                                    - A local bakery made Marty his "You're Awesome" cake. That's just cool.
                                                    - Arthur Blank is taking everyone in the Falcon's organization to the Super Bowl. That is an owner that really cares about his employees. Loved his locker room dance too. He, like Kraft, loves his team and is a down to earth guy with the players.
                                                    - Some stats to think about...
                                                    o Most super bowl appearances by any team (9), breaking the tie with Dallas, Pittsburgh and Denver.
                                                    o Kraft has 8 conference championships, most by any owner.
                                                    o 6 straight AFC Championship appearances.
                                                    o The Pats are 31-19 in the playoffs and 20-4 at home
                                                    o Pats are the second team to win 4 Super Bowls with the same coach, QB and owner (Pittsburgh did it in the 70s). We could be the first to do it 5 times.
                                                    o BB and TB12 have 7 conference titles, most by any head coach or QB.
                                                    o With a win, BB passes Chuck Noll for most SB titles by a coach. He already holds the record for coaching in the most Super Bowls at 10.
                                                    o BB and TB12 have the most conference championships as coach or QB with 11.
                                                    o BB ties Landry and Shula for most postseason games at 36
                                                    o TB12 will now have played in the most super bowls by any player passing Mike Lodish (4 with Buffalo, 2 with Denver).
                                                    o Brady, Bradshaw and Montana all have 4 SB titles. Charles Haley has the most with 5. A win moves TB12 up with Haley (and Bartt Star who had 3 NFL championships and 2 super bowls).
                                                    o JE11 is 7th all-time in post season receptions with 84, 9 back of Reggie Wayne for 2nd. A little farther behind Rice at 151 for the most.
                                                    o The Pats are 6-0 in the playoffs when facing a Pro Bowl QB, RB and WR in the same game. Need to make that 7-0 if we want the title.

                                                    The Bad
                                                    - Didn't get to see Bon Jovi sing along on the TV broadcast. BB said the place was rocking. Even TB12 said he heard it. Found the stream on the net and it was loud.
                                                    - There was little to no pressure on Roethlesshamburger except a handful of times. We don't need sacks. We just need a little pressure to help out the secondary. With the way Matt Ryan is playing, he will eat us alive with that kind of time.
                                                    - I would have liked to see Bell play the whole game so there were no excuses but he looked terrible after the injury. Word is that he was suffering with it beforehand. Sounds like an injury that wasn't disclosed to me.
                                                    - Ghost missed a PAT that could have put us up 4 scores. I know it's just a miss but we needed him full confidence going into the SB.
                                                    - At the time, I said it would have been better to let the TE score than to stop him at the 6 inch line. It would have given us more time to move the ball downfield for points. I guess I was just a little wrong there.
                                                    - Shazier got hit with a 15 yard hit on Edelman that wasn't deserved. How do you avoid helmet contact when the WR is going down to his knees?
                                                    - I didn't like giving up the final TD but that was just a nice throw on a well-run route. The crossing pattern held the safety forcing 1 on 1 outside. Nice design and execution.
                                                    - Mitchell's drop on the opening drive cost us 4 points could have had a major effect on the game. Marching down the field for an opening TD would have completely demoralized the Steelers. Instead, we gave them a little hope. Granted, that went away after the flea-flicker but still.
                                                    - The Burger (tm) said he is not 100% committed to returning next year. The guy is a great player who is the true leader of that team. One demoralizing loss shouldn't cause him to quit.
                                                    - Ebner left with a head injury. We need him for the SB. Too important on special teams. Jones picked up the slack though.

                                                    The Ugly
                                                    - Pittsburgh's choice of covering Amendola and Bennett instead of Edelman and Hogan. That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see how it works out for them.
                                                    - "Rooooooogerrrrrrr....Roooooogerrrrr" and "Where is Rodger?" loud and clear on the TV was awesome to hear but no mention of him ducking the Pats again.
                                                    - The Steeler's chained the locker room doors shut when they left so the Pats couldn't sneak in. We were clearly in their head.
                                                    - Kraft didn't sound good. More slurring than usual. Was he drunk or does he have a medical condition that we don't know about. BB apparently didn't put him on the injury report. Is a fine coming?
                                                    - Mitchell needs to travel to Japan and learn the old painful and crippling art of foot binding. If he had size 10 feet instead of 11, it would have been a nice catch on the sideline.

                                                    Dave
                                                  • Mark Morse
                                                    Message 27 of 30 , Jan 25
                                                      Dave

                                                      Terrific as usual!!!   Kudos have to go out to Alan Branch.  he was outstanding in holding up Pouncey and covering two gaps.  When he was in the game and Pittsburgh ran the ball, they only averaged 1.9 YPC.

                                                      Patsfans.com fan forum had a great breakdown of the 1st Hogan TD.  The O-line and James White's blitz pickup was outstanding.  Pittsburgh gave away the defensive plan with a "tell" (thanks Ernie Adams) in their ILB formation.  They were blitzing and the two DE's were dropping in coverage.  At the snap the two DE's drop into coverage with Dupree trying to cover Edelman.  Mason and Cannon double team Stephon Tuitt neutralizing him.  Timmons and Shazier are blitzing with a cross stunt trying to confuse Andrews.  Thuney handles Hargraves one on one.  Solder has no one to block so he dives down the line of scrimmage and obliterates Hargraves driving him into Shazier and Timmons.  Both ILB end up on the ground.  Brady slides to his left.  He sees that Hogan is open but the FS Mitchell is still in the deep middle.  Brady turns left and locks onto Malcolm Mitchell which moves FS Mike Mitchell and DE Harrison to their right, away from Hogan.  He quickly turns back right and fires the TD to Hogan.  Beautiful!!!!

                                                      Mark Morse Razor's

                                                      Message 28 of 30 , Jan 25

                                                        Thanks Dave!!

                                                        You’ve got one more left, huh?

                                                        That’s so much good, wow!

                                                        Love Chris Hogan and hope he has the same game two weeks from now.

                                                        Also loved Tedy as honorary captain…

                                                        No, no, no…DON’T say TB had his best playoff game ever—we want the next one to be that BEST ever!!!!!

                                                        Let’s erase all stats for right now though—hope it’s not a jinx.

                                                        That being said, I want this one SO BADLY—shove it in Goodell’s face, and Montana/Bradshaw too.

                                                        If that happens, the record will stand for a long time I think.

                                                        NO doubt that BB and staff will analyze each move by Gut-burger vs. Ryan and make the adjustments.\

                                                        We do need to have the O and D firing on all cylinders for sure…BB and TB won’t make any mistakes again.

                                                        Under “Ugly”, it was hard to see Gronk sitting in the luxury box and then standing on the field in street clothes.]

                                                        Let’s win this one for him!!

                                                        Need a Ben reference next time!!

                                                        Susan