Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Steelers)

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2010
      David,

      You need to elevate Chung to the good ... injuries were described as cramps.  He
      is a game changer for the Pats D.  He didn't play in the Browns game and it
      showed!
       Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 16, 2010
          Nothing about the offense surprised me. They are, as everybody who can spell
          "football" knows, adjusting to a very different "Moss-less" offense. (Or,
          should I say, returning to it, for those who were there before he arrived.)
          I've had no doubt that Brady would get it back; and that the rest of the
          team would adjust to it. Clearly, it's happening.

          But the D has made me begin to think that BB may know more about the game,
          and about his players, that I do. No, really, it IS possible! ;-) As we
          watched the blitz schemes that many of us have been screaming for all season
          begin to appear; I began to wonder if he hadn't been intentionally holding
          back on his complex schemes until the kids on this Kindergarten Defense were
          ready to take on more. Right now, that's my theory. I think he wanted the
          kids to get used to playing in the NFL, and get used to playing as a unit,
          before stuffing their heads with his scrambled X's and O's. OK, Kids, you're
          old enough for something different than vanilla. Here are some new flavors
          of defense for you to try! :-)

          In any case, it was a wonderful game to watch, for Pats' fans. Let's all
          chant together now ... WE WANT MORE! ... WE WANT MORE! ... WE WANT MORE!

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 16, 2010
            I'm concerned about Chung's injury future. The kid is in on damn near every
            play, all over the field. He plays with such abandon that he seems always to
            be just one wrong step, or one vicious collision, away from an injury. It's
            great to watch, of course. But it's also scary. Very much reminds me of
            Polamalu.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 16, 2010
              Steve,

              Get back to me , I have a line on 1 ticket for Sunday Colts game.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 16, 2010
                Thanks for the ticket thing.  Cash?

                I'll tell Dean where he's sitting once you tell me!!

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
                  The Good
                  - That is the offence we used to know. For the first time all season, we played a game that looked like we could score at will. Even when it was tied, I had no doubts that we would score again, and again.
                  - Dobson looked really good out there. The back shoulder TD grab was sensational. He made a real nice move on the bomb to get open and run away from the defense. He looks to be a keeper.
                  - Gronk makes such a difference out there. He commands so much attention and is still impossible to stop. Other than the blow to the nuts, he came out healthy once again.
                  - Brady looked much more comfortable. The TD to Amendola was textbook. He looked off the safety and came back to his primary target all along.
                  - I loved the play calling. We remained committed to the run game and took shots when we needed to. The last TD was a beautiful play. 3 TEs at a time when we were looking to run out the clock. Play action draws the safeties in and Dobson essentially had a 1 on 1 matchup on the outside with late help. Perfect throw, catch and overall execution.
                  - Vellano and C Jones continue to play like high draft picks. Both guys are making all the plays.
                  - If it wasn't for McCourty, there would be a lot of big gains against us. He is playing really well this year. He is solid in coverage, quick to help and stellar at tackling in the open field. He took on the RB a couple of times and won.
                  - Edelman continues to impress on punt returns. He has a knack of finding the hole and making a play. The return at the end of the 3rd quarter was fantastic.
                  - Ridley is playing like a man possessed. He is being patient in the backfield and when he finds the hole, he explodes with power, speed and strength. He is making people miss and running through tackles. He needs to get the ball more.
                  - Though he missed the block on the 1 yard run from the 1, Hooman continues to play at a very high level.

                  The Bad
                  - Gregory, Ninkovich and Collie did not finish the game. Collie is now gone, Gregory has a broken thumb and who knows about Ninkovich. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. We need to get healthy. The problem is that Vince and Mayo are not coming back and losing Tommy Kelly really hurts the D.
                  - Hightower and Spikes are way too slow to play in coverage. We are a much better team with Fletcher in there.
                  - We need to stop running the stretch play with Blount. He isn't fast enough to get outside. Ridley can do it but we don't block it very well.
                  - I thought last week had taken care of the halftime adjustments but we again didn't come out of the break well. We had the ball with a 14 point lead and then the next thing you know, we are tied.
                  - Is there something wrong with Mankins? He had 2 more penalties and missed a block for a sack.

                  The Ugly
                  - I think this is the end of the line for Polomalu. I love the way he plays the game but the man has lost a couple of steps. He was late on the Gronk TD, completely misplayed the Amendola TD, and was not a factor in the run game. His one nice play to force a fumble on Ridley was overshadowed by his lack of speed on the field.
                  - The series at the 1 was terrible all the way around. Gronk was really close to a TD but we didn't challenge on 3rd down. We then run Bolden off tackle for a TD on 4th down but that was overturned on review. But wait, Polomalu was offsides so we essentially get another down from the same place. Then we try the same play again but are stuffed. Pittsburgh gets the ball and commits a false start which again doesn't move the ball. Roethleshamburger then throws up a duck while falling backwards that is picked off by McCourty. Next play we score. What an ugly couple of plays.
                  - Can we please come up with a defense that can stop 3rd and 30. Giving up 29 ½ yards to give Pittsburgh the opportunity to go for it on 4th down is pathetic. We just can't stop the 3rd down play.
                  - You know your team isn't good when you have a lineman named Whimper.
                  - 2 coaches go down with health issues. Never like to see that.

                  Dave