Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Steelers)

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 15, 2010
      David,

      You need to elevate Chung to the good ... injuries were described as cramps.  He
      is a game changer for the Pats D.  He didn't play in the Browns game and it
      showed!
       Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
          Nothing about the offense surprised me. They are, as everybody who can spell
          "football" knows, adjusting to a very different "Moss-less" offense. (Or,
          should I say, returning to it, for those who were there before he arrived.)
          I've had no doubt that Brady would get it back; and that the rest of the
          team would adjust to it. Clearly, it's happening.

          But the D has made me begin to think that BB may know more about the game,
          and about his players, that I do. No, really, it IS possible! ;-) As we
          watched the blitz schemes that many of us have been screaming for all season
          begin to appear; I began to wonder if he hadn't been intentionally holding
          back on his complex schemes until the kids on this Kindergarten Defense were
          ready to take on more. Right now, that's my theory. I think he wanted the
          kids to get used to playing in the NFL, and get used to playing as a unit,
          before stuffing their heads with his scrambled X's and O's. OK, Kids, you're
          old enough for something different than vanilla. Here are some new flavors
          of defense for you to try! :-)

          In any case, it was a wonderful game to watch, for Pats' fans. Let's all
          chant together now ... WE WANT MORE! ... WE WANT MORE! ... WE WANT MORE!

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
            I'm concerned about Chung's injury future. The kid is in on damn near every
            play, all over the field. He plays with such abandon that he seems always to
            be just one wrong step, or one vicious collision, away from an injury. It's
            great to watch, of course. But it's also scary. Very much reminds me of
            Polamalu.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
              Steve,

              Get back to me , I have a line on 1 ticket for Sunday Colts game.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
                Thanks for the ticket thing.  Cash?

                I'll tell Dean where he's sitting once you tell me!!

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2013
                  The Good
                  - That is the offence we used to know. For the first time all season, we played a game that looked like we could score at will. Even when it was tied, I had no doubts that we would score again, and again.
                  - Dobson looked really good out there. The back shoulder TD grab was sensational. He made a real nice move on the bomb to get open and run away from the defense. He looks to be a keeper.
                  - Gronk makes such a difference out there. He commands so much attention and is still impossible to stop. Other than the blow to the nuts, he came out healthy once again.
                  - Brady looked much more comfortable. The TD to Amendola was textbook. He looked off the safety and came back to his primary target all along.
                  - I loved the play calling. We remained committed to the run game and took shots when we needed to. The last TD was a beautiful play. 3 TEs at a time when we were looking to run out the clock. Play action draws the safeties in and Dobson essentially had a 1 on 1 matchup on the outside with late help. Perfect throw, catch and overall execution.
                  - Vellano and C Jones continue to play like high draft picks. Both guys are making all the plays.
                  - If it wasn't for McCourty, there would be a lot of big gains against us. He is playing really well this year. He is solid in coverage, quick to help and stellar at tackling in the open field. He took on the RB a couple of times and won.
                  - Edelman continues to impress on punt returns. He has a knack of finding the hole and making a play. The return at the end of the 3rd quarter was fantastic.
                  - Ridley is playing like a man possessed. He is being patient in the backfield and when he finds the hole, he explodes with power, speed and strength. He is making people miss and running through tackles. He needs to get the ball more.
                  - Though he missed the block on the 1 yard run from the 1, Hooman continues to play at a very high level.

                  The Bad
                  - Gregory, Ninkovich and Collie did not finish the game. Collie is now gone, Gregory has a broken thumb and who knows about Ninkovich. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. We need to get healthy. The problem is that Vince and Mayo are not coming back and losing Tommy Kelly really hurts the D.
                  - Hightower and Spikes are way too slow to play in coverage. We are a much better team with Fletcher in there.
                  - We need to stop running the stretch play with Blount. He isn't fast enough to get outside. Ridley can do it but we don't block it very well.
                  - I thought last week had taken care of the halftime adjustments but we again didn't come out of the break well. We had the ball with a 14 point lead and then the next thing you know, we are tied.
                  - Is there something wrong with Mankins? He had 2 more penalties and missed a block for a sack.

                  The Ugly
                  - I think this is the end of the line for Polomalu. I love the way he plays the game but the man has lost a couple of steps. He was late on the Gronk TD, completely misplayed the Amendola TD, and was not a factor in the run game. His one nice play to force a fumble on Ridley was overshadowed by his lack of speed on the field.
                  - The series at the 1 was terrible all the way around. Gronk was really close to a TD but we didn't challenge on 3rd down. We then run Bolden off tackle for a TD on 4th down but that was overturned on review. But wait, Polomalu was offsides so we essentially get another down from the same place. Then we try the same play again but are stuffed. Pittsburgh gets the ball and commits a false start which again doesn't move the ball. Roethleshamburger then throws up a duck while falling backwards that is picked off by McCourty. Next play we score. What an ugly couple of plays.
                  - Can we please come up with a defense that can stop 3rd and 30. Giving up 29 ½ yards to give Pittsburgh the opportunity to go for it on 4th down is pathetic. We just can't stop the 3rd down play.
                  - You know your team isn't good when you have a lineman named Whimper.
                  - 2 coaches go down with health issues. Never like to see that.

                  Dave
                • Levine, David
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 11, 2015
                    The Good
                    - Your 4 time super bowl champion New England Patriots won their season opener.
                    - Thought having T Pain for the intro was a little tacky but the more I think about it, I liked it. Especially with the Springfield Orchestra.
                    - Loved seeing Ty, Troy and Willie Mac get the honor of bringing out the trophies.
                    - This just in, the Patriots are being investigated for narrowing the width of the field by 6", causing Hayward-Bay to step out of bounds on a TD catch in what is being dubbed Widthgate.
                    - Looks like the preseason is very overrated. Brady's stats in the preseason had people concerned. Um, I think he did alright in his 2015 debut.
                    - Looks like the preseason is very overrated part deux. Gronk was a beast. He caught all but 3 passes thrown his way and 2 of those was because he was out of bounds.
                    - Deion Lewis is really shifty. He made defenders look foolish on quite a few plays. His jump cut is nasty and he just seems to have that extra shimmy in his gitty-up.
                    - This just in, the Patriots are being investigated for turning on huge fans, pushing 2 field goal attempts wide right in what is being called Windgate.
                    - Edelman is a really tough cover from the slot. I am glad he is starting to get the recognition that he deserves.
                    - "Where is Roger? Where is Roger?"
                    - Our rookie OL held up extremely well. There were a few breakdowns but for the most part, they kept TB12 clean.
                    - Loved the garbage time TD for Brown. I have him on my fantasy team. As a side note, I also have Gronk so last night worked out well for me.
                    - The crowd was loud. Great to have football back.

                    The Bad
                    - We gave up way too many yards on the ground. I know that we were in the nickel most of the night and were playing with a light front 4 but we were not containing the edge very well.
                    - This just in, the Patriots are being investigated for causing the rain to start just as the Steelers were trying to mount their comeback in what is being called Raingate.
                    - There is no excuse for fumbling at the 1. I am shocked (but glad) that Lewis wasn't benched for it.
                    - Butler got a bad rap for his coverage. On 2 of Brown's catches, he was in perfect position. The one off his helmet and the other for the TD. He was close on a couple others too. He'll be OK this year.
                    - Another year, another failed goal line run. We need to block these situations better. I don't know why we can't convert running inside the 5.
                    - Brady's one long pass of the game was just a bit too strong for the wide open Amendola.
                    - This just in, the Patriots have been cleared of using large fans to push the field goals wide but are now being investigated for getting all the fans on the left side of the stadium to blow at the same time to push the field goal wide in what is being called Blowgate.
                    - The pass D was not good. I know it's early in the season and the O is usually way ahead of the D but we need to do something.
                    - I thought we'd be able to put some more pressure on the QB but we really didn't.

                    The Ugly
                    - Good thing the Steelers traded for a kicker instead of picking one up off the scrap heap. Missing your first 2 kicks will get you fired. I was shocked that he even had a job after the half.
                    - This just in, the Pats are now being investigated for locking the gate, not allowing the Steelers into the stadium in what is being dubbed Gategate.
                    - The Steelers employed the unique concept of not covering Gronk. "It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let see if it pays off for 'em." Um, Gronk is one of the largest human beings on the planet. How do you not see him?
                    - The Steelers also employed the little used 10 men on the field defense in the attempt to confuse the offence.
                    - Roethlesshamburger said after the game that he didn't know if there was a rule against the defense shifting in the red zone. He did, however, notice that the Pats regularly do it on his film review. Then why didn't you prep for it?
                    - 2 other things that the Pats do regularly. On 3 and 1, Brady will sneak it over the center. 9 times out of 10, no one is covering the center on the D. Worked twice last night. Also, we will start in a goal line heavy formation and then split Gronk out wide. Usually a LB goes to cover him. Brady throws his way 9 times out of 10 for the TD. How does no one see this coming?
                    - This just in, the Pats are now being investigated for outscoring their opponents in what is being called Scoregate.

                    Dave
                  • DavidBrunat

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 11, 2015

                        Dave,

                        LOVE your first line…YOUR 4-time SB champs won their first game!!!!!

                        My sides are so sore from laughing out loud at all your “gates”….how many did you list?

                        Let’s see--width, wind, rain, blow, gate, and score. The funniest one was the Gategate where they locked the Steelers out!!

                        Then David put another one down and I add Devilgate because Gronk is a beast, so that must mean we made a deal with the devil, right?

                        Plus, the Roethlesshamburger quip was priceless!! Bunch of whiny pansies out there…can’t beat us, so whip up Pansygate (or Wussgate).

                        Can’t think of anything else to add—this one was pretty complete!

                        Are you going to comment on the rest of the games?

                        The funny thing is that WE are the only ones that anyone is talking about.

                        NO one is talking about the Hags, even though they have them listed as number one going into the season and us at #2.

                        No one is talking about Peyton or the Eagles or Rogers or Romo or the Jacksonville Jaguars.

                        If you didn’t know any better, you’d think we are the only game in town. Flattering? In some ways, yes…as you said it means they are in every team’s head.

                        Annoying? Yes, it’s annoying on some levels too and BB get mad today I noticed.

                        The theme of this year’s NFL season sounds like Paranoia-ville, doesn’t it?

                        Susan

                        CA

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 11, 2015

                          David,

                          Good ...I think you need to single out Undrafted Rookie Center David Andrews.  He was the only OL to play whole game and he held his own.   The numerous substitutions I believe was planned strategy to keep the OL fresh.  They ran no huddle a lot.  Remember last years 1st games against Miami in that game the LO wilted in the heat and humidity of South Florida.

                          Ugly ...The TV didn't capture this ... the Patriots run a contest that has three fans trying to kick Field Goals.  This is usually done before the game, but this night its run at halftime.  Usually the contestants are brutal trying to make the kick.  Not this night. The 1st kicker booms through the goal posts into the net.  It would have been good from 30 yards out.  The next contestant hit a line drive through the goalpost.  The pressure is on the 3rd kicker, and his kick just makes it over the bar.  Crowd goes wild and announcer John Rook blares over the loudspeaker  "the Steelers are looking for a kicker"!  classic

                          Ugly... Did everyone at home see Mike Aronson on the National TV Broadcast!  It was a crowd shot right after Bob Kraft came out with the 4th Lombardi trophy.  The Ugly part was that a Steelers fan is taking a picture right in front of me ... blocked my lovely mug from that same clip.  I was standing right next to Mike.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 11, 2015

                            Wow, Mark…talk about a major photobomb!

                            That’s too bad…lol! Would have been a nice shot.

                            Susan

                            CA

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 11, 2015
                              I set my DVR for 8 30.  When the recording begins, Michale shows up within the first five seconds.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 12, 2015
                                 See I was on TV!  Look at the camera in front of my face!
                                Jay Robert Sager's photo.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 12, 2015
                                  Yes, those beady little eyes look familiar! ;-)

                                  --- George
                                  Just DO YOUR JOB, and count the wins.

                                  On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 8:56 PM, Mark Morse packy001@... [patriotzip] <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                                • john cahalane
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 12, 2015
                                    Nice video

                                    Not only is Edelman a great receiver he is good pulling his Internet videos together.