The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vikings)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
      The Good
      - BenJarvus Green-Ellis, name in full, gets the game ball today. He was a machine, churning out the tough yards and showing a surprising burst of speed when he gets open. The final drive was all him, powering through the line, falling forward and giving up his body for a clinching TD. Any time you can out rush AP, you can say something.
      - The OL was tremendous. They not only gave Brady all day to throw, they opened up the holes for our run game. Key plays at key times against the best front 4 in football. (The Williamseses are just massive and Allen is a spectacular rusher).
      - Our final drive was vintage Patriots. Get the ball, plod down the field, convert on third down, chew up the clock and score. That, my friends, was a textbook drive. We got the ball at 7:22, up 3 points and didn't give it back until after the 2 minute warning, up 10. BJGE went for 62 yards and we converted on all 3 3rd down chances including a 12 yarder to Woodhead.
      - Raise your hand if you knew the direct snap to Woodhead was coming. I knew it, you knew it, anyone who watches that Pats knew it. I guess Childress didn't.
      - Crumpler has been a very underrated pickup for us. Nice blocking in both the pass and run game. Got called for illegal motion on the Woodhead sweep but had a nice game otherwise.
      - Loved the 4th and goal stop at the end of the half. Gave us all the momentum into the second half. The announcers were saying it was a good call but I still say take the points.
      - Cunningham and Spikes were solid all game (4th down stop). Mayo was a beast again. Stopped the FB on the 1 and then stuffed AP later.
      - I can't believe the run D in this game. We held AP to less than 4 yards a carry and stuffed him twice (really 3 times) in short yardage situations. Without pulling a safety up into the box, we held our own.
      - Brady's play to Tate was amazing. The time he had, creating more with the spin move and then holding the ball long enough to hit Tate in stride.
      - BB had a plan to not let their 2 most dangerous weapons beat us. Stop the run with our front 7 only. Show multiple looks at Moss and hold him in check. Done and done.
      - The little things we do. On the INT, watch the play again. The throw is a little behind Harvin but McCourty stays with it, strips the ball, catches it and starts up the sideline. Meriwether sees the play and instantly goes after AP and takes him out of the play with a great block. He has a small caravan down the sideline with Harvin chasing. Crable comes from the side and blows up 2 guys allowing the extra 10 or 15 yards. Nothing fancy, just good football.
      - The respect Moss gave the Pats. Hugged Kraft and had a smile on his face while talking with him before the game. Hugged BB and had a short conversation afterward. (It looked like BB and Moss didn't want to greet anyone until they found each other either). His press conference, though strange, was humble. Called BB the best coach in football history. Said he missed the Pats (every last helmet in that locker room), mentioned the captains by name (Tommy Boy), thanked them for the time spent there and wished them luck. Even thanked Mrs. Kraft. I still like Moss.
      - Who would have thought that we could sweep October and be sitting at 6 and 1 right now with the best record in the league and 2nd only to Tennessee in net points. Our D is starting 3 rookies and are getting better every week.

      The Bad
      - I don't know if you knew this or not but the starting QB for Minnesota was a guy named Brett Farve. I hadn't heard of him before but apparently he holds the record for most consecutive games started.
      - If I had been at the game, I would have stood up and cheered for Moss. I think he did great things for this team and he deserves our respect and gratitude. I guess there were applause after the game but I didn't get to hear it.
      - They didn't take my suggestion and have the footrace between Tate and Harvin. I say put them in full pads and have them run a 100 yard dash to see who wins. Should be exciting.
      - Our goal line penalties turned a stop into a Vikings TD. We can't give other teams that many opportunities to score.
      - How bad are you if you are told that the backup runs the 2 minute offence better than you? How bad are you if that backup is Rex Grossman?
      - Moss's effort on the PI call on Meriwether. It was a good penalty as it was going to be a clear TD. But Moss quit on the play and the ball seemed to land within a couple of feet of him. I think he could have still caught it but just quit.
      - Not so sure Peterson scored on the jump. Mayo hit him square and knocked him back. Don't know if the ball actually crossed the plane or not but it would have been 3rd and inches. You really can't expect to stop him twice more.
      - Didn't think Guyton should have been called for roughing. Farve ducked as soon as he threw the ball and helmet hit. If he stood up, it would have been a clean hit to the chest.
      - I understand the thought of sneaking at the 1 to run out some time but I would have only done it once. Leaving us 3rd and goal after the 2 minute warning is not what I would have done. At least give yourself 2 opportunities to score because you can't go for it on 4th down. You take the points to force the TD instead of the FG. Right? BB was probably thinking of going for it on 4th if they were stopped. If we are stopped again, the Vikings have the ball, down 3 with only 1:30 left and no TO's. Heading into the wind, they would have had to move the ball to about the 25 for a shot at the FG. That means 75 yards in 90 seconds.

      The Ugly
      - FOX coverage sucks. They didn't show the kickoff, they didn't show the pregame announcements so we could hear the reaction to Moss, they focused only on Farve and hardly mentioned Moss returning, their camera work was shoddy missing plays and not showing what we want to see. I was disgusted with their replays as well. They focused on Farve getting hit or tripping over his own player instead of focusing on the play itself.
      - Watched the end of the Tampa game. It was 4th and inches. The announcer says, "they have a 250 lb quarterback and a 250 lb running back. Between their combined 500 pounds, they should be able to pick up about a foot." Classic.
      - Back to the FOX announcers. They did show a quick clip of the Vikings entering the field but, true to their love fest for all things Farve, they said the booing was for him, and some for Moss.
      - Where was the pass interference on Welker on the last drive. He was clearly hit before the ball got there but they just called the pass incomplete. It could have been a pivotal play if we didn't pick up the 3rd down conversion. The refs have to call the legit penalties, even in clutch situations.
      - When Pryor flattened Farve, it really struck me as a time when he needs to step back and let someone else take over. On his way out on the cart, he reminded me of my son when he was about 5 and wasn't feeling well. He would curl up, cuddle next to me, close his eyes and snuggle with his favorite stuffed giraffe. The only thing that was missing from Farve doing that was sucking his thumb. He looked pathetic at that moment in time.
      - The press conferences after the game. Farve spent 8 minutes talking about me and I (counted 37 uses of "I", 6 of "me" or "my" and a whopping 6 of "we" or "us" in the 4 minute clip on nfl.com) and all that is good and holy in Brett. Never mentioned the team and will absolutely start next week. Moss sounded like a guy who now realizes how good he had it in NE and wishes he never left. Only taking questions from himself? He has truly lost touch with reality. Or maybe he now has a full grasp of it and of how good he had it and what a pile he stepped in when he left.

      Dave
    • Ed Bryant
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
        I usually enjoy GBU without public praise for Dave, but his coverage of the NE defense reacting to McCourty's INT cannot go unpraised.  Good call, Dave!!!!!

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
          I still like Moss too.  I know this is probably not what happened but I felt like Moss really was not into the game.  It was almost like he wanted us to win.  I just felt that from him.  I feel badly he is on to another awful team... but we are 6 -1 and we have done the last month without him.  I'd be lying if I did not admit: I miss his smile on the sideline.  Well... onto Cleveland, any predictions out there?

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
            Good analysis, Dave! I look forward to it each week!
            On the Good...Steelers and Jets lost.
            On the Bad...Raiders keep winning.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 17, 2014
              The Good
              - It's always good to win and we did so in convincing fashion. The second half may have been boring but we didn't need to do anything special to come home with a win.
              - Chandler Jones was a beast. The blocked punt was just pure athletics. He didn't look out of place or struggling while running down the field with McCourty next to him.
              - The entire D was very good. After the first drive where we left everyone open, we clamped down and didn't let anything get by us. The line was stout and the DBs were at or around the ball all day.
              - Nice to see Ridley get the touches and succeed. He ran hard and found the holes quickly.
              - Good to see Stork and Kline get a few reps on the O line. They need to get that experience if we want them to grow.
              - Brady's audible to Edelman's TD grab. The D showed blitz. Brady went to the shotgun and the changed the play to hit the single covered Edelman easily. He is so good about understanding what is going on and makes a huge difference to the team.
              - Was it just me or did it look like Revis ran a better route than the WR for his first pick with us? Interesting that we used him on Jennings instead of Patterson. I would have liked to have seen Darrelle vs. Cordarrelle for the battle of names.
              - Gronk still looks a little slow but he came out healthy and got a couple of more snaps under his belt. Give him 2 more games before he is back to normal.
              - Ryan hit a 57 yard punt in the first quarter that went out of bounds for no return. Great way to change field position.
              - The Portland Youth Football team (8th grade) remains undefeated after beating Scarborough. Led by captain Ben Levine who went wire to wire at OLB, ORG and 4 ST units (no FGs at this age), the real #50 helped Portland beat the 2nd best team in the league by 24-14.

              The Bad
              - We need to do something about the penalties. Offsides on the kickoff again. False starts and stupid penalties have to stop.
              - Bolden looks very tentative with the ball. He is slow to find the hole and goes down too easily when hit.
              - Our 3rd down conversion rate was pretty bad but again, we really didn't have to do too much in the 2nd half. We are still only 32% for the year and that won't work
              - Skinner looks very slow out there. He was constantly chasing the play. He is young but it shows the lack of depth in our LBs when Collins didn't play. We can move Jones and Ninkovich out there but we need to be healthy at the interior line to do so.
              - Amendola and Wright didn't do anything. I was hoping for a better season from Amendola who was one of my favorite, non-Pats players before we signed him. Wright is still learning so I'll let it go for now.
              - Hightower, Mayo, Jones and Ninkovich go wire to wire. With that big of a lead why didn't we give them a break?

              The Ugly
              - Needed McCourty to dive for the pylon instead of meekly going out of bounds for my fantasy team. Left 6 points on the board for me.
              - AP is in more trouble for hitting another one of his 7 kids (with what seems 9 different women). One of the best players in the league (talent wise) is one of the most vile people. The pictures that I saw were disgusting. How do you hit a 4 year old so much that they bleed and the scars are still visible 10 days later. Makes Rice look like a saint.
              - The NFL can't seem to handle any situation properly. They need to make a decision that is right and go with it. Not this shoot from the hip and then respond to outside pressure.

              Dave
            • Mark Morse
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 17, 2014
                Great job David ...

                Good
                I think the O-line needs to be given credit for better blocking and keeping Brady upright. Yes they used a 6th OT (Cameron Fleming) as a TE and that seemed to work well. A lot of people have been saying they aren't open, but a reviw of the coaches all 22 film reveals that there are other players open and Brady just won't throw there.

                Tom Brady
                He made an outstanding call when he audibled out of a play, into the shotgun recognizing the blitz and single coverage on Edelman. Brady threw the perfect fade pass to the end zone ... thats a pass he usually doesn't make.

                Bad
                Tom Brady - yes he managed the game well and didn't have any turnovers. However, there are other receivers on the team besides Edelman and Gronk. Again, Brady has a hard time completing a throw past 15 yards ... the film doesn't lie! Brady threw the perfect fade pass to the end zone ... thats a pass he usually doesn't make.

                Ugly
                15 penalties for 165 ... thats got to stop. The penalties are killing the offense

                Mark Morse
                Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

                Subject: [patriots] The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vikings)
                To: "patriotzip@yahoogroups.com" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com>, "New England Patriots" <patriots@...>