The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (San Diego)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2010
      The Good
      - It's often better to be lucky than to be good. A win is a win and we won.
      - Have to give props to Zoltan again. Not getting to all those bad snaps and kicking them could have been disastrous.
      - I love the way Woodhead runs. He really takes the hit and keeps powering forward.
      - Though the D was pretty porous, we only gave up 20 points and were opportunistic with the turnovers. SD has a great O and we held them to less than 50 yards rushing.
      - Our 2nd half adjustments are getting better. Great drive to open the half to score and really put the pressure on SD.
      - Loved the 4 wide bunch formation that we ran for a screen. Everyone knew it was coming but they still couldn't stop it.
      - Our TEs are going to be special. They can block, catch, run and do everything right. Hernandez didn't let the drops last week get to him and Brady still has faith in him.
      - Edelman always seems to find a way to get the extra yard. He wouldn't go down on either punt return. I would love to see him set up in the backfield and take the direct snap like Faulk does.
      - Who thought we would be 5 and 1 this far in the season? A couple of extra wins now will really help out when we play the tough part of the schedule. Not that what we are going through now is easy. A 2 and 2 October would have been great knowing that November holds both Pittsburgh and Indy.

      The Bad
      - How can SD really be this undisciplined? There were 2 fumbles where they just gave us the ball. The WR who just put the ball down without being touched? The lateral that they didn't jump on or try to touch Ninkovich down? Play to the whistle. How do you get called for a false start on a game tying FG from 45 yards out? That is not a gimme kick either.
      - How can NE really be this undisciplined? Giving up an onsides kick in the 4th quarter is something that should have cost us the game. We had 3 penalties on the first series. Too many stupid things. At least we didn't turn the ball over.
      - Is it time to look for a new long snapper? I don't know what's going on with Ingram. He was solid last year but has fallen apart this one.
      - I liked the call to go for it on 4th and 1. I even liked giving the ball to BJGE to power for the yardage. I hated the play call. How do you run someone that slow outside to the power side of the SD defense? Run him up the gut or to the right behind your tackle. If you run an outside play, give it to Woodhead who is faster and can find those creases for the yard you need. I would have been ok with a QB keeper as well.
      - Now that I say that, did BJGE run the wrong play. Connoly was the lead back and destroyed the blockers over the left tackle. BJGE didn't follow him and went outside. Should he have followed the blocker or was it a misdirection thing? Tough to tell but I would follow the 300 pounder through the hole like on the TD run. It looked like the same play to me.
      - We had a good 3rd down O all season but we were just out of sync the entire game. If the normal O had shown up, this was a blowout.
      - I am really tired of seeing a 3 and 4 man rush in critical situations. I would be fine if we pressure and give up the 1st down. I don't like sitting back and giving the QB so long to find an open WR.

      The Ugly
      - Watching the ticker go by and seeing the Oakland score increase every time. I don't know how a team that bad can score so many points. Denver sucks.
      - How does New Orleans lose? Are they still hung over from the Super Bowl? There O is way too good to play this poorly.
      - Buffalo giving Baltimore all they could handle. They are not nearly as bad as their record says.
      - What a terrible call at the end of the Pittsburgh/Miami game. I can see how the ruling on the field was a TD. The ref was shielded by Ben's body. The replay was clear that he fumbled and they ruled as such. How could they not determine who recovered the fumble. 3 Dolphins fell on the ball and one handed it to the ref. Miami got screwed.
      - Farve (if you say it that way, it's spelt that way) is really a player you don't want to have the ball in the clutch. I am tired of seeing him fall away to throw a pass even when no one is around him. He is so scared to take any type of hit. Once fell away into the rush to throw the ball. Also seems to fake too many injuries. Hobbles around on the sideline but plays fine. Ankle is twisted during a play but doesn't allow the trainer to look at it. My elbow hurts so I probably won't play this week. Oh, don't worry, it's all better.

      Dave
    • llj7366@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2010
         I completely agree about Miami... but honestly was happy that it did not go their way.  Favre should just walk away now... his true colors came out when he was in trouble with drugs and now he is in trouble for sending nasty texts.  He has a wife that almost died and she seems really nice and she is gorgeous.  He has really wonderful kids.  I guess... that is not enough these days.  No matter what happens, Favre's legacy is forever tainted in my opinion.
        Well... next up Favre!!!  I hope that he has just as great of game as he did yesterday!!!!

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2010
          Love analysis as usual...it is better to be lucky than good, although I'd like a little bit of breathing room.
          I think that in the game they seemed to run hot and cold, but then that's football on some days.
          Hernandez is good and Woodhead seems to be able to play despite his size. They mentioned he's 5' 7 3/4"--wow.

          I do hope they take these past two close games and snap themselved into more discipline. Hope the defense is licking their lips to get ahold of the aging Favre.

          We only have to worry about the Vikings for now, but if I had to make a comment, it would be that the Squealers really don't impress me as much as they do the ESPN babblers  (from what I've seen). The Nags aren't what they used to be either, so I think our chances from here on are really good.
          I know it was an ugly play against the Fish, but I'll take it.

          So, let's get our normal O going for next week and get the defense fired up to sack Favre and we're good to go...GO PATS!!!!

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 26, 2010
            I have to note a "Bad", if not an "Ugly" that you missed, Dave. Matt Light!
            In the first quarter alone, he was responsible for 2 "hurries" (one of which
            was nearly an INT), and one sack. I continue to believe that he is, at best,
            a below average OLT. He simply cannot handle speed rushers.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
              Good point, George. I saw that as well. And I agree, I think it's time for Matt to move to the right side. If Vollmer can't handle the left (which I bet he could), they need to draft a top tier tackle next year. We can't keep wasting TEs and RBs to help light against speed rushers.

              fdb

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "George Richman" <patswingr@...> wrote:

              > I have to note a "Bad", if not an "Ugly" that you missed, Dave. Matt Light!
              > In the first quarter alone, he was responsible for 2 "hurries" (one of which
              > was nearly an INT), and one sack. I continue to believe that he is, at best,
              > a below average OLT. He simply cannot handle speed rushers.
              >
              > George
              > Patriots - A new decade - A new dynasty!

            • Ed Bryant
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 28, 2010
                I recently sucked it up and erased the November 2009 Indy game so I can DVR 2010 without having to make unpleasant decisions each week (if anyone knows how to erase the 90 minute version of of 12/7/08, please let me know!!!)

                In order to erase the Nov 2009 Indy game, I had to watch it several more times in 2010, beginning in August, when I watched just for the final sequences, and last Friday and Saturday, I watched and then went back to see exactly when it was that Steve Neal left the game: it was on the Maroney fumble into the end zone.

                As a Patriot, Maroney fumbled into the end zone in Indianapolis twice, the first time resulting in a Logan Mankins TD, but the second in a touchback and a game-ending injury to Neal, after two or three Colts landed on him in pursuit of the loose ball.

                So the Patriots went the rest of the game with a line of Vollmer, Mankins, Koppen, Connolly, and Kaczur.  Vollmer played Freeney better than Light has for some time, and better than Vollmer has been playing right tackle this year.

                I'm not sure Light is any kind of right tackle.  I'm in no hurry to say Light isn't adequate, but Vollmer a year ago showed signs of being a better left tackle, and I'm getting to the point where I'd rather see Levoir than Vollmer on the right.  If Vollmer is a better LT than a RT, that works for us, eventually.
                By the way, just after Belichick didn't punt, Peyton Manning paid him back by giving the Patriots their 2010 Draft wish list.  On one of the two passes to Collie, whether the comeback or the inference, I forget which, Manning calls the signals and tells BB: "Gator, Gator, Gator, Gator,....Gator."  I'd play it for you, but I erased it!

                Good point, George. I saw that as well. And I agree, I think it's time for Matt to move to the right side. If Vollmer can't handle the left (which I bet he could), they need to draft a top tier tackle next year. We can't keep wasting TEs and RBs to help light against speed rushers.

                fdb

                --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "George Richman" <patswingr@...> wrote:

                > I have to note a "Bad", if not an "Ugly" that you missed, Dave. Matt Light!
                > In the first quarter alone, he was responsible for 2 "hurries" (one of which
                > was nearly an INT), and one sack. I continue to believe that he is, at best,
                > a below average OLT. He simply cannot handle speed rushers.
                >
                > George
                > Patriots - A new decade - A new dynasty!

              • Stephen Basile
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
                  THAT was fun to watch, especially as it ended up with a 6-1 Pats team, in October, with the best record in the NFL, and a convincing win over the Vikes AND Moss, with some great running performances and Brandon Tate making lemons out of lemonade in a broken play turned TD.

                  Of course, I was in a pub full of Pats fans teasing a very few Minnesota fans, and playing the 1812 Overture after every Pats score.

                  Where can I get a Musket?

                  Go Pats,
                   Steve

                  --
                  Steve Basile
                  Manager

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
                    AWESOME, Steve!! That sounds like so much fun.
                    In the first half it was almost as if Favre could have stood there with a cane and thrown the ball...no one got to him much. But the second half was alot better...doesn't matter how you start but how you finish.
                    Nice to see the Jesters shut down!!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                      SO, I was trick or treating and I was DVRing the game.  I had the people I was with make sure that I did not know the score of the game or look in at someone's tv.  And then the last house the lady comes out and says... "oh the Pats are up, just in case you want to know!"  But that was the end of the 3rd quarter, so, I hurried up and got home and my husband comes out and says, "bummer about the game!"  I was so mad but I still wanted to watch it and was totally thrilled when he had pulled a "TRICK" on me!
                      So... I think that we did okay.  We won... and we are undefeated for October.  I am honestly thrilled with this.  We are on top of our division and we have 9 games left.  A lot can change but as long as we keep plugging along, I think we have a great shot at winning the division.  You have to wonder if the Monday night game against the Jets in December will be HUGE??!!??  Time will tell... welcome to November folks!
                      Lisa

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                        LOL...that was a trick you probably just loved! I was able to watch some of the game and then listen to some on the radio. Good game--we don't need to have huge blowouts every game, but right now it seems as if we're doing what we need to do to win.
                        That Jesters game back in Sept. seems like it shouldn't have happened, huh? From the way each team is playing now--we will most likely get them back in Dec.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                          I certainly hope that we win in December!  I am just wondering if that will be sort of the division clincher game??  It seems like it could be if the Jets win a few in the next few weeks.