Re: FANTASTIC Discussion on NFL Network's 'Game Day' about Moss

  • Scott Sheaffer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2010
      >>Make no mistake about it Wes is an impact player and in that regard he is comparable. I would however give Troy Brown the edge as Troy was bigger than Wes and could muscle for that extra yard when needed. Also, though Wes is a good special teams player he seems to lack the vision that Troy Brown had that made him a special teams game changer. Troy Brown was a special player and I don’t expect to see another player with his level of versatility again, it’s just so very rare in this game of specialization we see today in the NFL.

      They're both special players, and rank among my all time favorites. If I had to choose one or the other, these are the things I'd look at. They're both tough and hard working guys. They're both dependable on special teams. Welker has a higher average as a kick returner while Brown has a slightly higher average as a punt returner at 10.4 to 10.1. Plus Brown scored three regular season TDs to go with his memorable playoff TD against Pittsburgh. Welker doesn't have any punt return TDs. Here's where the separation comes and it's dramatic. Brown had one season with over 100 catches. Welker has had over 100 all three seasons as a Patriot. In his 15 year career, Brown had 557 catches. In his 7 plus seasons, Welker has 468 catches. Troy's productivity was excellent, but Welker's is mind boggling, especially as a Patriot. So, I'd pick Welker, but I'd love to have both. I mean what's the next question? Who'd you rather have at QB, Joe Montana or Tom Brady? (As much as I think of Babe Parelli, Steve Grogan, and Drew Bledsoe - choosing between one of them and Tom Brady doesn't pose the same quandary as Brown vs. Welker.)

      Scott Sheaffer