The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Bengals)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2010
      The Good
      - Great drives to open the season. The D stuffed a very good O and our O rolled down the field.
      - The WR screen to Welker with 2 TEs blocking was a thing of beauty. What a play design and perfect time to call it. I will be willing to bet they have an alternate play from the same formation that they will also run.
      - Hernandez is going to be a good player. Nice speed and elusiveness on the long pass, good blocking. Dropped a TD but Welker saved him so no harm.
      - Freddy Taylor ran like a man who wants a starting job. He ran had and never went down on the first hit.
      - Loved seeing Crumpler blocking someone 30 yards downfield.
      - Our D looked fast, made sure tackles and rotated nicely. One play at the end of the 1st Q, we sold out and sent everyone on the blitz. Palmer took the short completion but the D rotated up and stuffed it for a short gain and forced the punt. Beautiful communication and execution. We are going to be much better than last year simply due to our speed. Listened to Boomer on WEEI this morning and that is what impressed him the most. Our team speed.
      - Our ST group could be special this year. The KO coverage was outstanding. The return game was stellar. The TD was fantastic but the other returns were consistently getting the ball out past the 30. Zoltan's one punt wasn't pretty but got the job done. Don't know if he was nervous, told to kick it away from the returner or just plain shanked it. 42 yards with no return is perfect though.
      - What was that I saw? Was it a pass rush? Yup it was. TBC and Ninkovich played a very good game.
      - "I'm the 4th string quarterback but due to a pre game meal of all you can eat calamari, I'm now the 1st string quarterback." Don't even know what it was selling but it was great.
      - I was wondering the same exact thing as Phil Sims when he said, "When will Kevin Faulk slow down." The man just does everything you ask him to do.
      - First one of the season. Let's get one next week.

      The Bad
      - I don't fully blame the D for the 3rd quarter. If you look at it, Cincy took the ball and put together a great TD drive. It took forever but they had a very nice drive. We were up 31-3 at that point and the D was probably playing a little softer. We went 3 and out on our next possession and then Cincy went at it again. It took them the rest of the quarter but they finally scored. We responded with a convincing TD drive to end it.
      - Didn't want to give up the last TD so I could get to my point differential but we didn't really care at that point.
      - I wanted to see Ochocinco try to grab one of the minutemen's rifles. I guess being down 31-17 isn't a time to celebrate.
      - Ghost missed 2 FGs, one of which he should have made. The other, a bomb from 55 yards out is understandable but I think he is trying too hard. He has the leg for it but I don't think he thinks he does. The one from 47 was above the uprights. The one from 55 was half way up. I'm still glad we have him though.

      The Ugly
      - The Moss post game meltdown. I understand what he is saying. He wants to have the security that he will be in a place that he wants to be in for a couple more years. He is happy that he found a team that he likes and, more importantly, found a team that likes him. He just wants to put the contract behind him and know he will stay put. The problem is that he isn't that literate and his statements tend to ramble on and on and on and on. He needs to sit down with Kraft, tell him that he wants to stay in NE and wants to know that NE wants him. Get an offer, sign it, and complete his career as one of the best to ever play the game with a QB who is one of the best to ever play the game and with a coach who is one of the best to ever coach the game.
      - I don't know how Calvin Johnson's catch was not a catch. He had possession of the ball, took 3 steps, controlled the ball through a roll and then lost it as he was getting up. I understand the rule but what else does he have to do?
      - Loved that Dallas lost the game when the winning TD as time expired was called back for their 12th assessed penalty.
      - Can Cleveland look any worse?
      - Loved the expression of the Cincy punter during the Tate return. Watch it again and look at the depressed guy on the sideline, just standing there with a blank expression on his face.

      Dave
    • Tracy Goyette
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 13, 2010
        Dave - I love your reports!
        I agree with most of your points.

        For me the standouts included McCourty, Chung who was all over the field  (I kept expecting to see him come out on offense too), and I really LOVED the Taylor block (picking up the guy who as about to sack Brady early in the game.)  I can't help but be pleasantly surprised after what we saw in the pre-season and I'm incredibly excited to see how this season shapes up.

        Tracy

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 13, 2010

          “Hernandez is going to be a good player”

          -         Agreed, Dave. But Gronkowski already IS a good player. Perhaps better than “good”. I’m setting 10 as the over-under on his TDs this season!

          “Our D looked fast, made sure tackles, and rotated nicely.”

          -         Overall, this was what I liked best about the game. Mayo was Mayo again. Chung was what we’d hoped he’d be when he was drafted. McCourty looks like a real R1 pick. The speed was something I’ve wanted to see in a Patriots’ D for years!

          Still, there were the lapses that I, and others here, expected from this young D. I think my speculation that they may set a record for total combined points in a season stands a good chance to be true. But as this young D learns to play together, they could very well develop into the best in the league in another season or two. The return of Warren next year, and the addition of 1 or 2 more high quality players in the front 7, and … lookout!

          Just a couple of notes about the offense.

          -         Fred Taylor is no different than he’s always been. The only question about him is, as it has always been, whether he can stay on the field.

          -         They clearly can’t survive without Mankins on the field. (His leech must have loved the game!)

          It was a near perfect Sunday. It can’t be any worse than “very good” when the Patriots win. Add losses for the Colts, Raidahs, and Cowboys; and it’s near perfect. Only a Jets’ loss could have improved it to perfect. Let’s hope for that tonight! J

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013
            The Good
            • Edelman continues to play well.  Let’s hope it continues.
            • Talib needs to be resigned.  He is playing great this year and contained AJ Green all day.
            • Nice to see Amendola back.  He looks just as fast as before.
            • We got our 1 real stinker of a game out of the way.
            • Spikes got his opportunity and played a great game stopping the run.  He is a sure tackler and can fill the gaps quickly. Still a liability in pass coverage but not a bad player.
            • Mayo was everywhere.  I don’t think there was a play where he wasn’t near the ball.
            • Allen is making us forget about Zoltan.  He is kicking well and had a couple nice ones inside the 20.
            • Our D is going to keep us in games this year.
            • If I told you that our top DT, TE, WR and 2 RBs would all miss significant portions of time but we would be 4 and 1 to start, I think everyone would be happy.  No Vince, Gronk, Ridley and Vereen (with a slowed down Amendola). Other than Vince, we will get everyone back full speed for the playoffs.  We were also counting on Washington to spark the return game and he’s been hurt too.  We need to get healthy and we will be fine.
            • Our rookies are getting a significant amount of playing time.

            The Bad
            • The OL really let this team down.  The blocking schemes were questionable and they couldn’t provide any push in the run game.  Those first 2 hits on the first drive set the tone for the game.
            • Brady was throwing behind receivers and didn’t look as accurate as usual.  The pass to Amendola at the 1 should have been a TD if he threw it where the WR didn’t have to go down for it.  Can’t blame that on someone not knowing the system.
            • Thompkins has to catch the ball the first time. I am getting tired of these balls bouncing off his hands and then grabbing it on the rebound.
            • Why are we not committing to the run more?  I know Ridley is out but Bolden has the power and speed to make good things happen.
            • Blount looked indecisive.  He needs to hit the hole hard and then get whatever he can.  Too much tiptoeing around.
            • Cincy has a great front 4 but we couldn’t get anything going on offence. I didn’t see the normal in-game adjustments.  No quick passes, no short slants, no screens, no draws.  Nothing that could counteract the pass rush.

            The Ugly
            • How can the Giants be as bad as they are?  This team is a mess (and I love it).
            • The rain on the final drive was as bad as I have ever seen at a football game.  The throws were affected, the receivers were affected.  Everything went wrong.  We had to throw because of the time constraint but we were screwed because of the weather.
            • Who is going to win first?  Jacksonville, Tampa or Pittsburgh?  Could be a long season for all 4 of the un-winning teams.
            • Those 2 teams should be called Enver and Allas as there was no D to be found in that game.  Did Romo really throw that ball for the INT.  Pathetic.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013

              Good summary, as usual!

              Yeah, stinker of a game but let’s hope that’s all.

              Great that the defense is stepping up.

              LOL…Allas and Enver, no “D”…that’s funny!

              Maybe we’ll get Gronk back this week??

              I think that the Steelers will win first…

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013
                Very clever David ... Enver and Allas !!!!

                I would like to add the loss of Tommy Kelly and Leon "why the hell did we ever sign this guy" Washington to your injured group. On the game winning TD, the Bungles drove right over the Nose Tackle.  That wasn't either of the Un Drafted Free Agent DT's we have thought they played oretty good).  No,  that was Jake Bequette.  LaGarrette Blount is bigger than Bequette.  I say we raid the Raiders PS and sign back George Winn.

                Mark Morse Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup