The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Bengals)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2010
      The Good
      - Great drives to open the season. The D stuffed a very good O and our O rolled down the field.
      - The WR screen to Welker with 2 TEs blocking was a thing of beauty. What a play design and perfect time to call it. I will be willing to bet they have an alternate play from the same formation that they will also run.
      - Hernandez is going to be a good player. Nice speed and elusiveness on the long pass, good blocking. Dropped a TD but Welker saved him so no harm.
      - Freddy Taylor ran like a man who wants a starting job. He ran had and never went down on the first hit.
      - Loved seeing Crumpler blocking someone 30 yards downfield.
      - Our D looked fast, made sure tackles and rotated nicely. One play at the end of the 1st Q, we sold out and sent everyone on the blitz. Palmer took the short completion but the D rotated up and stuffed it for a short gain and forced the punt. Beautiful communication and execution. We are going to be much better than last year simply due to our speed. Listened to Boomer on WEEI this morning and that is what impressed him the most. Our team speed.
      - Our ST group could be special this year. The KO coverage was outstanding. The return game was stellar. The TD was fantastic but the other returns were consistently getting the ball out past the 30. Zoltan's one punt wasn't pretty but got the job done. Don't know if he was nervous, told to kick it away from the returner or just plain shanked it. 42 yards with no return is perfect though.
      - What was that I saw? Was it a pass rush? Yup it was. TBC and Ninkovich played a very good game.
      - "I'm the 4th string quarterback but due to a pre game meal of all you can eat calamari, I'm now the 1st string quarterback." Don't even know what it was selling but it was great.
      - I was wondering the same exact thing as Phil Sims when he said, "When will Kevin Faulk slow down." The man just does everything you ask him to do.
      - First one of the season. Let's get one next week.

      The Bad
      - I don't fully blame the D for the 3rd quarter. If you look at it, Cincy took the ball and put together a great TD drive. It took forever but they had a very nice drive. We were up 31-3 at that point and the D was probably playing a little softer. We went 3 and out on our next possession and then Cincy went at it again. It took them the rest of the quarter but they finally scored. We responded with a convincing TD drive to end it.
      - Didn't want to give up the last TD so I could get to my point differential but we didn't really care at that point.
      - I wanted to see Ochocinco try to grab one of the minutemen's rifles. I guess being down 31-17 isn't a time to celebrate.
      - Ghost missed 2 FGs, one of which he should have made. The other, a bomb from 55 yards out is understandable but I think he is trying too hard. He has the leg for it but I don't think he thinks he does. The one from 47 was above the uprights. The one from 55 was half way up. I'm still glad we have him though.

      The Ugly
      - The Moss post game meltdown. I understand what he is saying. He wants to have the security that he will be in a place that he wants to be in for a couple more years. He is happy that he found a team that he likes and, more importantly, found a team that likes him. He just wants to put the contract behind him and know he will stay put. The problem is that he isn't that literate and his statements tend to ramble on and on and on and on. He needs to sit down with Kraft, tell him that he wants to stay in NE and wants to know that NE wants him. Get an offer, sign it, and complete his career as one of the best to ever play the game with a QB who is one of the best to ever play the game and with a coach who is one of the best to ever coach the game.
      - I don't know how Calvin Johnson's catch was not a catch. He had possession of the ball, took 3 steps, controlled the ball through a roll and then lost it as he was getting up. I understand the rule but what else does he have to do?
      - Loved that Dallas lost the game when the winning TD as time expired was called back for their 12th assessed penalty.
      - Can Cleveland look any worse?
      - Loved the expression of the Cincy punter during the Tate return. Watch it again and look at the depressed guy on the sideline, just standing there with a blank expression on his face.

      Dave
    • Tracy Goyette
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 13, 2010
        Dave - I love your reports!
        I agree with most of your points.

        For me the standouts included McCourty, Chung who was all over the field  (I kept expecting to see him come out on offense too), and I really LOVED the Taylor block (picking up the guy who as about to sack Brady early in the game.)  I can't help but be pleasantly surprised after what we saw in the pre-season and I'm incredibly excited to see how this season shapes up.

        Tracy

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2010

          “Hernandez is going to be a good player”

          -         Agreed, Dave. But Gronkowski already IS a good player. Perhaps better than “good”. I’m setting 10 as the over-under on his TDs this season!

          “Our D looked fast, made sure tackles, and rotated nicely.”

          -         Overall, this was what I liked best about the game. Mayo was Mayo again. Chung was what we’d hoped he’d be when he was drafted. McCourty looks like a real R1 pick. The speed was something I’ve wanted to see in a Patriots’ D for years!

          Still, there were the lapses that I, and others here, expected from this young D. I think my speculation that they may set a record for total combined points in a season stands a good chance to be true. But as this young D learns to play together, they could very well develop into the best in the league in another season or two. The return of Warren next year, and the addition of 1 or 2 more high quality players in the front 7, and … lookout!

          Just a couple of notes about the offense.

          -         Fred Taylor is no different than he’s always been. The only question about him is, as it has always been, whether he can stay on the field.

          -         They clearly can’t survive without Mankins on the field. (His leech must have loved the game!)

          It was a near perfect Sunday. It can’t be any worse than “very good” when the Patriots win. Add losses for the Colts, Raidahs, and Cowboys; and it’s near perfect. Only a Jets’ loss could have improved it to perfect. Let’s hope for that tonight! J

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 9, 2013
            The Good
            • Edelman continues to play well.  Let’s hope it continues.
            • Talib needs to be resigned.  He is playing great this year and contained AJ Green all day.
            • Nice to see Amendola back.  He looks just as fast as before.
            • We got our 1 real stinker of a game out of the way.
            • Spikes got his opportunity and played a great game stopping the run.  He is a sure tackler and can fill the gaps quickly. Still a liability in pass coverage but not a bad player.
            • Mayo was everywhere.  I don’t think there was a play where he wasn’t near the ball.
            • Allen is making us forget about Zoltan.  He is kicking well and had a couple nice ones inside the 20.
            • Our D is going to keep us in games this year.
            • If I told you that our top DT, TE, WR and 2 RBs would all miss significant portions of time but we would be 4 and 1 to start, I think everyone would be happy.  No Vince, Gronk, Ridley and Vereen (with a slowed down Amendola). Other than Vince, we will get everyone back full speed for the playoffs.  We were also counting on Washington to spark the return game and he’s been hurt too.  We need to get healthy and we will be fine.
            • Our rookies are getting a significant amount of playing time.

            The Bad
            • The OL really let this team down.  The blocking schemes were questionable and they couldn’t provide any push in the run game.  Those first 2 hits on the first drive set the tone for the game.
            • Brady was throwing behind receivers and didn’t look as accurate as usual.  The pass to Amendola at the 1 should have been a TD if he threw it where the WR didn’t have to go down for it.  Can’t blame that on someone not knowing the system.
            • Thompkins has to catch the ball the first time. I am getting tired of these balls bouncing off his hands and then grabbing it on the rebound.
            • Why are we not committing to the run more?  I know Ridley is out but Bolden has the power and speed to make good things happen.
            • Blount looked indecisive.  He needs to hit the hole hard and then get whatever he can.  Too much tiptoeing around.
            • Cincy has a great front 4 but we couldn’t get anything going on offence. I didn’t see the normal in-game adjustments.  No quick passes, no short slants, no screens, no draws.  Nothing that could counteract the pass rush.

            The Ugly
            • How can the Giants be as bad as they are?  This team is a mess (and I love it).
            • The rain on the final drive was as bad as I have ever seen at a football game.  The throws were affected, the receivers were affected.  Everything went wrong.  We had to throw because of the time constraint but we were screwed because of the weather.
            • Who is going to win first?  Jacksonville, Tampa or Pittsburgh?  Could be a long season for all 4 of the un-winning teams.
            • Those 2 teams should be called Enver and Allas as there was no D to be found in that game.  Did Romo really throw that ball for the INT.  Pathetic.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2013

              Good summary, as usual!

              Yeah, stinker of a game but let’s hope that’s all.

              Great that the defense is stepping up.

              LOL…Allas and Enver, no “D”…that’s funny!

              Maybe we’ll get Gronk back this week??

              I think that the Steelers will win first…

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 9, 2013
                Very clever David ... Enver and Allas !!!!

                I would like to add the loss of Tommy Kelly and Leon "why the hell did we ever sign this guy" Washington to your injured group. On the game winning TD, the Bungles drove right over the Nose Tackle.  That wasn't either of the Un Drafted Free Agent DT's we have thought they played oretty good).  No,  that was Jake Bequette.  LaGarrette Blount is bigger than Bequette.  I say we raid the Raiders PS and sign back George Winn.

                Mark Morse Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 18, 2016
                  The Good
                  - Hightower was a machine all game. 13 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a safety is a pretty complete game. At one point, he looked beat on the field. Completely exhausted. On the next play, he and Sheard combined for a 3rd down sack forcing a punt late in the game. Without Collins, he really stepped up.
                  - Elandon Roberts had another successful game. 7 tackles and a couple of pressures up the middle. He has been a really nice surprise for a late draft pick.
                  - Um, this Brady guy is pretty good. Remind me again why we started Jimmy G and Jacoby for the first 4 games? No, please don't remind me.
                  - TB12 completed his 5000th pass. Only Brees, Manning and Favre have more.
                  - Gronk doing Gronk things. He was open all game. Some was by design, some was because he is that good. He and Marty are really becoming a good duo and play to each other's strengths.
                  - White is getting better and better. He seems to have a lot more speed than last year. 20 yards on the grounds and 8 catches (on 9 targets) for another 50 or so yards with 2 TDs where he waltzed into the end zone. His improvement means we don't need to rush back Lewis. If he can be healthy for the playoffs, the Blount/Lewis/White combo will be hard to stop.
                  - Special teams were again solid. Great punting and kickoffs were either right at the goal line forcing a return that was covered or deep to force a touchback. King, Slater, Ebner (and Bolden) are core guys who are on the team for that reason and make a huge difference. What other team carries 4 guys just for ST in addition to the punter, kicker and long snapper?
                  - Nice to see Rowe play well in the second half. Came in as the nickel guy responsible for AJ Green and really, with help, shut him down.
                  - The halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball. The O went back to the quick hitting plays instead of the long developing plays preventing the DL from getting to TB12. The D really started to step up after the safety and were playing much better. There were a couple of passes that we were in perfect position but it was just a better throw (Green on the sideline, LaFell TD, long throw over the middle with Ryan in coverage).
                  - Our team really can tackle. Butler saved a first down on a completion and we never let the Cincy backs get going.
                  - We are now 78-0 at the Razor when leading at the half. Tough to beat.
                  - Nice presentation of the game ball by Kraft to BB for his 250 total wins in the NFL (227 regular season, 23 post season).
                  - Congrats to Dak for breaking Brady's record for most passes to start a career without an INT. He may be the real deal.
                  - The Portland Bulldogs routed an undermanned Bangor team to in their 6th straight game, sealing up the #1 seed, first round bye and home field throughout the playoffs with 1 game remaining. Ben and the varsity team finally got some rest as they went to running time in the second half. Portland was up 4 TDs in the first 4 minutes of the game and scored 9 overall. Our kicker missed the school record for most PATs in a game by one as we put in the JV squad one series deep in the 3rd quarter and only scored 1 additional TD. Need a fantasy player? Our QB ran for 128 yards and 3 TDs and threw for another 199 and 3 TDs on 9 for 10 passing.

                  The Bad
                  - Is something wrong with Ghost? Missed a PAT which would have made it a 2 TD lead. Barely made another FG. Did hit from 46 and drilled the other 3 PATs. Hopefully he can get his head back. He is such a weapon. He was pissed at himself so hopefully someone can calm him down.
                  - Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts just plain suck. Can't stand them.
                  - Logan Ryan got torched a couple of times and needs to play better. His run support is good as he's a solid tackler. He was in great coverage twice but the ball was just in that perfect spot.
                  - Cyrus was benched for being stupid last game. Hopefully, he will get his head on straight as he can be a good player for us. Marvin Jones would never do the same thing for Kirkpatrick, Burfect or Jones. Just lets that culture fester.
                  - The decision to go for it on 4th and 1 early in the game by Cincy only down 3. Why would you try that. Take the points. You need everything you can get.
                  - The D in the first half just wasn't playing well. Gave up a lot of yards and guys were wide open. The TD run by Dalton was too easy. Ninkovich was the only guy there to stop the option. No chance. It's rare that we are caught out of position or have a blown coverage. We had a couple this game.
                  - Roethlesshamburger hurt his knee in a non-contact injury. Probably will miss 3 weeks including the game against us.
                  - Was hoping SF could help us out a little but they are just plain terrible. Buffalo looks legit right now. Gonna be a tough game when we play them in a couple weeks at their place.

                  The Ugly
                  - Vontaze Burfect is a punk. He is a very dirty player and someone I would never want on my team. Really showed his lack of discipline in last year's playoffs when he nearly killed Antonio Brown on a hit to the head, costing the team 15 yards and a win. The low hit to Bennett was cheap and should be fined by the league. He meant to do it. There was no one around and he took out the back of the knee on a pass to Gronk. No excuses. He just gets under everyone's skin and taunts all game.
                  - We cannot get goaded into taking stupid penalties. Gronk kept running his mouth and it hurt us. We were at a first down inside the 10 but got backed up to first and goal from the 23 instead. We could have iced the game right there. I understand emotions were high but you can't take the bait. That's all Cincy was trying to do at that point. Smart of BB to get Gronk out of the game for a play to cool him down.
                  - A perfect reason that Cincy will never win is their choice of captain. How is Pacman Jones a good captain? He started his career by leaving school early and holding out . Had several off the field incidents and was on probation during the draft. He was then arrested multiple times over the next couple years and involved in a shooting at a strip club. He was forced to pay out $12M to the people shot. He was suspended for a year and faced 2 felony charges before taking a plea. He supposedly hit a woman but she dropped the charge. Went to Dallas but released because he was a suspect in another shooting. Was going to the CFL but he called it the UFL and the team turned him down. Picked up by the Bungles, and has been there for a while now. Was fined for a fight with Joey Porter. The back to back penalties put the Steelers into FG range to win the game. Nice role model.
                  - Cincy was seen joking around in the locker room after the loss. Would BB allow it? Would any captain allow it? Would TB12 allow it? No. We have a team of professionals who take their jobs seriously.
                  - Has OBJ lost his shit? What the hell is he celebrating like that for?
                  - Trump is criticizing SNL for making fun of him. Really? SNL has been doing this type of thing for 30 years. From Chevy Chase doing Ford (knocking over the Christmas tree), to Dana Carvey and his caricature of Bush (thousand points of light, stay the course, a thousand points of light) to Jay Pharaoh's dead on Obama. They aren't making fun of him, they are making fun of everyone. I think Alec Baldwin's impression is really good. Larry David does a great Barry Sanders. I'm not a big fan of Kate McKinnon's impersonation of Hillary though. Something in the voice isn't there. Content is great though. SNL hasn't been good for years but their political sketches are gold right now.

                  Dave
                • Steve Basile
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 18, 2016
                  Our Fan Club loves your reports too Dave!  (except one, who roots for the Deering Rams, an apparent Bulldogs rival!)
                  Made you a logo:

                  --
                  Steve Basile
                  Chief Fanatic

                  Message 9 of 12 , Oct 19, 2016

                    ***Love the Lego Logo.  Gonna save it and use it from now on.

                    ***I went to Deering when I was in high school and it took a while to accept the fact that Ben was going to Portland.  These are the 2 public high schools in Portland and have a huge rivalry.  The Bulldogs have played the Rams in a Thanksgiving Day football game for the last 104 years and is always well attended as it’s the last game of the year, is after the playoffs and is the senior game for both schools.  These are 2 very old schools with Portland High being one of the oldest continually operating public high schools in the US (formed in 1821).  Since I have rooted for both schools now, I don’t get into the rivalry anymore.  It’s just fun to watch.

                    ***Dave (“Wearers of the blue, we are proud of you… or “Be loyal to the purple, be loyal to the white…”  I know them both.)

                    David Levine | Senior Process Engineer, SNAP Engineering

                    IDEXX | One IDEXX Drive | Westbrook, Maine 04092 | m. 207-632-4097

                    Message 10 of 12 , Oct 19, 2016

                      I also love the logo!!

                      Also love hearing about Maine , even though it’s not on-topic for the Pats.

                      Like seeing your signature line (and anyone else’s, Steve, etc) with the profession—love engineering.

                      Go Pats!

                      They should beat the Steelers….

                      Susan

[...]

                      .

                    • frankdanabrewster
                      Message 11 of 12 , Oct 19, 2016
                        A good read, as always, Dave.

                        That 78-0 stat is mind-boggling!

                        Gostkowski is beginning to be a concern. Hopefully that straightens itself out. We're gonna need him.
                        Mr. Fouts, it's Elandon, ELANDON... you heard Ian Eagle say it a dozen times, and you probably have a producer in your ear. Figure it out!
                        Good observation on the Cyrus Jones vs. the Bengals punks, and how teams handle bad actions.
                        Yes, a lot of open receivers, but that seems to be the case with our zone coverage in general. Just don't give up the big play, and clamp down when the field gets short. It looks ugly, but has served us well in the stat that counts... points against.
                        Bills beat the Jets, Rams, 49ers, Cardnals and us without TB12 or Gronk. Still not sold on them as contenders.

                        Gronk should know the refs always seem to catch the retaliation, not the initiation.
                        Who does Marvin Lewis have pictures of? That team is so undisciplined and unprofessional, I don't know how he keeps his job.

                        Frank

                        Message 12 of 12 , Oct 19, 2016
                          Right on about Gronk, Frank. I'm sure that BB had a talk with him about on field self control. Lack of it can cost a team a game.

                          As for our "bend but don't break" zone D, you're also right. It has worked for years for BB; but it is very frustrating for us fans to watch. But what option is there when you don't have a couple of truly outstanding shut down CBs? Butler is on the fringe of deserving that label for us; but he's not really there. And the way the game is today, with so many receivers running crossing routes, pick plays, etc. even 2 shut down CBs isn't always enough to stop a good passing team. The zone D does provide a better chance when there's so much field to cover, I suppose. But I sure miss the days of watching opponents go 3 and out in series after series as they did against the Patriots D back in the early years of the BB era.

                          I miss the pass rush even more! They obviously made significant adjustments at halftime against the Bengals. It was really frustrating to see Dalton standing back in the pocket, undisturbed, scanning the field for an open receiver throughout all of the first half. I don't understand why the Patriots waited so long to step up the pressure. Seems to me that they have the players to do it now; with Ninko, Sheard, Long and Flowers mixing and matching, I think they have enough fresh talent to keep constant heavy pressure on opposing QBs while Brown and Branch get steady pressure up the middle; but they don't do it. Anybody got any ideas as to why that is? I'd love to understand it.

                          --- George