Ready for Cincinnati!!

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2010
      After watching high school and college starting this weekend, I'm SO ready for some pro football!! Anyone else??
      What does anyone think about the upcoming Bengals game? The got troubled Terrell but that probably won't matter much.

    • kmacalp@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2010
        I have to disagree with Susan about T.O. He will match up either against a rookie making his first start, or a second year guy with 5 starts who struggled during the preseason or against Wilhite or against Wheatley. Plus, judging from what we've seen of the pass rush so far, Carson Palmer will have all day waiting for T.O. or Ochocinco to come open. Plus, the Benagls have added new talent at slot receiver and tight end. Plus, they can run the ball very well.

        On the other side of the ball, the Bengals' defense was pretty good last year. While, I believe the Pats can win (and I picked them to win), this has the potential to be a very long afternoon.

        I can see a speck of light at the end of the tunnel for our defense. I just hope it's not Richard Pryor's oncoming train. A lot of my hope rests on Jermaine Cunningham being healthy, and playing beyond my expectations. But how many times have we seen a rookie come in and struggle with Belichick's system? We need look no further than last year when Patrick Chung was barely a factor. For the defense to succeed this season, we need Cunningham to develop quickly the way Jerod Mayo did in 2008. Murrell applied good pressure early against the Saints, but I didn't see much from him after that. Nink sometimes gets good pressure. I haven't heard any Jarvis Green news beyond his release by Denver. I'd like to see him return at defensive end. Plus, Shawn Crable is on the practice squad. He's got tremendous athletic potential, and IF he ever stays healthy AND develops, he could be a disruptive presence in opposing teams' backfields. I still think the Pats should sign Aaron Schobel and go with a 4-3 defense though. (Maybe Cunningham could be the other 4-3 DE with Wilfork and Pryor at the DT spots.) That brings me to undrafted rookie Dane Fletcher. He adds versatility. The Pats converted him to inside linebacker, but he played defensive end and outside linebacker in college where he was good at sacking QBs. Fletcher's 40 yard dash times were 4.59 at his fastest and 4.70 at his slowest. He's a solid 4.6 guy in the 40, so he brings good speed. (Yeah, I get too hung up in 40 times which don't always matter. Jerry Rice provides the classic example.) Sticking with the 3-4 defense, the Pats seem solid up the middle with Wilfork at nose tackle, Mayo and Brandon Spikes at inside linebacker, and Chung and Merriwether at safety. (Spikes seems like another guy who might show that 40 yard dash times sometimes get too much emphasis.) Its on the edges where question marks fill our defense. At defensive end, Richard Seymour still hasn't been replaced, and now Ty Warren is gone for the year. Can Mike Wright be a full time player? Can Gerard Warren get the job done? At outside linebacker, is Banta-Cain just a journeyman who had a career year last season, or can he maintain that level of play? Will Cunningham or any of the others I mentioned before have a positive impact? The inexperienced corners have potential. Will they live up to it, and how long will it take?

        So this could be a tough game this week. I'm hoping that as the season goes on we see a reversal of Murphy's Law with our defense, and that everything that can go right will go right.

        Scott Sheaffer

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2010

          Scott, I’m afraid that most of them are going to be tough this season – or at least for the first 8-10 games of it. I’m always hopeful, of course. But I definitely could not describe myself  as optimistic for the outcome of games this season. The defense just has too far to go to reach championship caliber.

          That said, if we don’t set our expectations too high; and we settle in to enjoy watching the offense, and go out for a beer when the D is on the field, it will be a fun season! J