game....

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
      Anyone bummed out about the game's outcome? Didn't watch it, but saw the score and it brought back nasty memories of several years ago.
      Sigh--we definitely have some work to do. I know preseason isn't about the wins, but really? Hate losing to the Giants under any circumstances.
    • Mark Morse
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
        Not really bummed out ... Starters did OK.  We had the lead when the straters sat down.  The end game was hard to watch with WR Farnham playing S (very badly I might add) and OL Welch and Larsen playing DL.

        Mark

        Anyone bummed out about the game's outcome? Didn't watch it, but saw the score and it brought back nasty memories of several years ago.
        Sigh--we definitely have some work to do. I know preseason isn't about the wins, but really? Hate losing to the Giants under any circumstances.

      • Kevin Morgan
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
          Didn't like the int Brady threw.  It happens, though.  It will be interesting to see who gets cut.  I have this feeling that there isn't much of a drop-off in talent in that defensive secondary.  I was not impressed with anyone.  But, I trust BB, so it's all good.

          Anything can happen, to Anyone, at Anytime.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

            I guess we do have to trust BB in picking the right players and hope for a good season.
            The stats show all of our division as 2-2 so far in the pre-season. The Nags and Bears have lost all 4 games and the Saints and Giants are both 2-2 as well.
            The Whiners have won all 4, so go figure right?
            I'm hoping the pre-season is just a tweaking period where we find out who can do what, etc. I'm hoping we have a fantastic year!!
            Deep breath here....GO PATS!!!!!!!

            Didn't like the int Brady threw.  It happens, though.  It will be interesting to see who gets cut.  I have this feeling that there isn't much of a drop-off in talent in that defensive secondary.  I was not impressed with anyone.  But, I trust BB, so it's all good.

            Anything can happen, to Anyone, at Anytime.

            Not really bummed out ... Starters did OK.  We had the lead when the straters sat down.  The end game was hard to watch with WR Farnham playing S (very badly I might add) and OL Welch and Larsen playing DL.

            Mark

            Anyone bummed out about the game's outcome? Didn't watch it, but saw the score and it brought back nasty memories of several years ago.
            Sigh--we definitely have some work to do. I know preseason isn't about the wins, but really? Hate losing to the Giants under any circumstances.

          • Machado.Nicholas
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
              I think the defense is going to take some time to gel. There are so many new faces and the schemes are difficult to learn but once the kids start to 'get it' the abundance (IMHO) of talent will begin to show and the defense will become more and more of a factor in games.

              The offense on the other hand will be better than last year and could become the best passing offense ever put on a field in the NFL. Moss, Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Tate, Edelman etc. - that is a pretty fair receiving corp. Combine the talent with the fact that Brady is making a conscious effort to return to the way things were in 2003-2004 (read; the open man is my favorite reciever) and there could be some Bledsoe/Marino type shootouts in the first three quarters of the year. After that I think the defense will solidify enough to make the Pats a contender going into the playoffs.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

                The older I get, the more complete my understanding that I can’t predict anything that’s going to happen with my team. J However, I will say that my thoughts mirror yours, Harry. This is definitely how I hope the season will unfold. It that maturation of the young players, and ‘gelling’ of the D doesn’t happen, it’s possible that BB could suffer his first losing season as a Patriots’ Head Coach; because the D, as it is currently playing, won’t hold up well enough to win 8 games.

                I definitely agree on the Offense. I’m really looking forward to watching them in action. Although, I do wish we had a consistently productive RB to complement the passing game.

                Work your magic, BB. We need that defense to come together!

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                  I love Harry's analysis as well, but come on George...look at your signature line. A new decade, A new dynasty!!
                  They (and BB) won't let us down...I'm sure of it!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010
                    BB was 5-11 in 2000... so not his first losing season if they struggle this year.

                    I also join in the Harry fan club. The offense looks like it may need to carry this team for a bit. I worry there as
                    the OL depth seems weaker than normal. Ultimately the youth at Defense has potential to gel and much will hinge on
                    that progress.

                    Will the real Jerod Mayo please return to the Patriots...

                    www.2020visionquest.org
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

                      LOL! Still holding on to that, Susan. It’s still very early in this new decade. Plenty of time for new dynasty to be formed if the future Harry has outlined comes true this year!

                      Hopefully, by mid-November, we’ll have a brighter outlook for both our Patriots AND our country! J

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2010

                        OOPS! Right. It’s 9 straight winning seasons; not no losing seasons. J

                        Yes, Mayo has looked disturbingly ordinary in pre-season. But he is definitely still hustling. He’s sideline to sideline going after ball carriers. But doesn’t seem to be making stops at or behind the LOS, or even making any big hits. I’m wondering if the whole defense is a bit apprehensive in their play, because they simply don’t have confidence in themselves as a unit.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
                          There could be any number of reasons for a player to be tentative in regards to his intensity during pre-season, but if it were me, I'd be "full-tilt, full-time" so as to impress the coach that I should be on this roster.  Fear of injury, complacency, lack of knowledge, laziness, illness, actual injury, lack of confidence, overconfidence, lack of skills, and just not getting it. Those are just a few of the reasons a player may not perform up to snuff.  I say we wait and see, and try not to worry too much about these few games.  Cincinnati is on the clock!  Go Pats!