RE: [patriotzip] RE: Bodden gone for the year

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2010

      Pre-season games don’t mean much. Nobody, including the opposing offenses, does any game planning; and there’s  no way to know what the coaches of any team are trying to look at or work on in a given game.

      That said, I base my concerns on what I’ve seen of the individual abilities of the projected starters for us. We have a “journeyman level” DL, after Wilfork. We have no one who stands out as a consistently effective pass rusher, with complementary skills in other parts of the game (run stopping and pass coverage). We have no CBs who have demonstrated consistent above average coverage, tackling, or ball-hawking skills. Our 2 Safeties are, IMO, above average; but not All Pro caliber. In fact, Wilfork and Mayo are the only players on our D that would likely even be mentioned in a discussion of the “top 10 at their position”.

      That adds up to a lot of mediocrity, as I see it. Our only hope is that BB still has some coaching magic in his kit bag to get extraordinary results from this very ordinary group.