Two In A Row

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2010

      For the second week in row, the first team looked pretty good. I LOVE the focus on, and success of, the running game. OK, so we don’t have an Adrian Peterson, or Chris Johnson. The multi-headed RB position, with Taylor, Morris, Faulk, BJGE, and … what’s his name, looks productive. (Will they trade Maroney, and keep BJGE? I hope so!) Also have to note that the success of that running game doesn’t do much to help the leverage of Mankins. Maybe we should package him with Maroney and get a nice package of draft picks. (Nobody’s going to give up a good pass rusher, I’m afraid.)

      Brady to Welker and Moss looked to be ready for prime time; and I’m really psyched about the potential of Aaron Hernandez.

      McCourty had a very nice game, both in coverage, and tackling. A couple of mistakes, but nothing disastrous.

      Of course, I can’t let it go without comments on my favorite position. I see reason for optimism from the young guys inside, Mayo and Spikes.

      On the negative side, there’s still very little pass rush from anybody. I remain concerned about that, more than any other aspect of the team.

      But the bottom line is that they’ve kept 2 pretty good offensive teams, the Saints and Falcons, from spending much time celebrating in the end zone. That’s what it’s all about!

    • Machado.Nicholas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2010
        I don't think Maroney has gotten his chance yet. I can't see Belichick letting him go unless he is terrible when he does get some snaps after the injury history of Taylor and Morris. I think Maroney might surprize in a good way and build on what he started last year after watching tape with Belichick. Nothing like a contract year to pull the best out of a player. Hopefully he has worked on holding onto the ball a little better in the offseason.

        I would add that Gronkowski continued to look good tonight and I think he will become the best complete TE the Pats have put on the field in a long while. Hernandez has great hands and is quick and versatile but as much a WR as a TE right now but Gronkowski has great hands, can bowl over defenders and he blocks well. He and Crumpler are part of the reason the Pats ran so well tonight and Gronkowski caught a bunch of passes, one for a TD early in the 4th quarter.

        I sure wish they would get the ball to Brandon Tate a little more. The few catches he has made so far have shown some nice skills and great after-catch running.

        The bend-don't-break defense was back tonight against a pretty good Falcon offense. Held the Falcons to 3 points for most of the game giving up another TD late in the 4th quarter for the 28-10 final score.

        Patrick Chung had some nice stops and played next to Merriweather for the whole first half. Merriweather made some plays on Gonzalez. Backfield hasn't been bad at all without Bodden. They really limited the Falcon yards-after-catch tonight with tight coverage. Wilhite had an interception at the end of the first half.

        At the end of the 3rd quarter Ron Brace stripped Antone Smith and McKenzie recovered. McKenzie has gotten a lot of work in the second half of both games and is usually around the ball.

        Moss definitely looks like he is in a contract year and intends to get a fat one next year.

        Looks to me like Brady has been been far more vocal and in charge than at any point in his career. Man on a mission.

        If Zoltan Mesko - a two step, left foot punter - can continue to limit his few off days to practice the Pats could have a terrific kicking game. Mesko has shown skill converting off target snaps when he holds for Gostkowski as well.

        Hoyer continues to impress leading two scoring drives. Is ahead of where Cassell was at the same point in his career. How long before the rest of the league stops drafting QB's in the first five rounds? :)

        Harry

        3f1c9f17.gif

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2010
          Many good things to observe and a few concerns. Ultimately I think our offense is going to look very talented though
          we'll see what happens when game plans are in full force. The running game has been a very pleasant surprise and I'm
          actually eager to see Maroney get his shot with the first unit as well. There were still too many plays where a missed
          assignment blew the play up in the back-field. I also noted with concern the sack on Brady and didn't like his missing
          it or the hit.

          Speaking of hits wow did Welker get hit...really going to him three times in a row seemed rather foolish for such a
          crucial player just coming along in his rehab.

          Defensively our D-line doesn't generate pressure which is somewhat schematic but our outside backers didn't get much
          pressure either. This will worry me nearly as much as Butler, Wilhite and Wheatley not quite seeming ready. McCordy
          had a decent showing and that was encouraging though I'd also like to see Bodden return.

          WHile we held their points down, the Falcons first unit moved the ball well against us and we still had trouble with
          the underneath coverages. -at least it's on film now.

          next tune up is the closest measuring stick for the season and I'm eager for it.

          www.2020visionquest.org
          -check the latest blog there and see the experience which amazed me!
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2010

            It’s really rather unfortunate, IMO, that our 3rd PS game is against a poor team, the Rams. I would rather have had the Saints, or even the Falcons in this one. As you said, Randy, it’s the season tune up game; and we need a good test to tune up against.