Camp Opening Session 7/29 AM

  • Karen Cardoza
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2010

      Day One, Session One is in the books!  My Christmas in July has begun and I’m raring to go! This morning was a rainy one and initially wasn’t too crowded. Once the camp buses showed up and the families came out to brave the sprinkles it got really crowded. Of course, I was in my usual spot on hill and although I wasn’t prepared with rain gear, I was comfortable enough.

      Here’s MrsB’s notes for this morning:

      * Punter Zoltan Mesko not only has  a great name but was the lone player on the field when I arrived.

      * When the guys came out, I immediately noticed #41′s huge head of hair and thought about how much fun the vets will have on Rookie Haircut Day.. Turns out it’s Ross Ventrone, wearing big brother’s old number.

      * Puppies were on the field for the stretching and did their conditioning work with trainers on the sidelines during practice instead of holing up in the field house or gym. Welker did some “leash work”  and lots of footwork. The 4 puppies/flunkies started off with some skipping then got into the work. Looked like, 88 Aiken, 10 Jenkins, and 97 Brace were there with 83 Welker.

      * Big Vince took the first lap of camp, running during defensive drills. Later, 69 Wendel and 7 QB Zac Robinson took one together for botching a snap.

      * Returning kickoffs were 11 Edelman, 19 Tate, 17 Price, and 32 McCourtney.

      * Andre Tippet took in practice from the top of the VIP bleachers.

      * Play of the day goes to Brady to Moss for a corner endzone TD, covered by Sanders;  Biggest catch and biggest cheer.

      * Starting corners were Leigh Bodden and Darius Butler with Merriweather and Chung as Safeties.

      * Slater was in white and is listed as a WR this year.

      * Starting OLine consisted of Vollmer, Neal, Koppen, Light, and Kaczur.

      * Defense ruled in Redzone work when Price missed a pass, then Vince and Chung each made a stop resulting in a series fieldgoals.  (Nice hands by the kid on the hill  on the first catch and then one almost ended up in the media tent.)

      * Practice wrapped up early, finishing at 11:00. It was Linebackers turn to sign but Randy Moss signed the entire time as well. Looks like Brady exited the field right after practice.

      Here’s some random post practice tidbits…

      * The media tent was overflowing for opening day.

      * The OLine no longer aligned helmets in a row during post practice drills as they had in the past (Jake tidbit).

      * 55 Brandon Spikes looks bigger than his 6’2″ and looks like he could be Mayo’s brother.

      * Mr. Kraft came out at the end of practice and was talking to Mayo on the sidelines.

      * Rookie Cunningham signed for awhile then started to leave until Patricia barked at him and sent him back to sign until the horn went off.

      * The Revs were practicing in their field and you could see balls up in the air throughout the morning.

      * A little guy put on Sammy Morris’s pads/jersey (assuming it was his son) and was running around until his sister(?) pushed him over and he had trouble getting back up.

      * We waved and said hi to TBC while he was on his way in… one of the few players left on the roster that I know.

      * I REALLY hope that the baby that fell out of the stroller while the dad was bringing it up the hill is ok!

      I’ll be heading out later for the afternoon session and will get a podcast out at some point as well.

      I also sent a few twitpics during camp and wasn’t sure how they would come out but weren’t that bad. If you want, follow me on Twitter for future glimpses of my view from the hill. http://twitter.com/mrsb

      --
      Karen Cardoza

      http://karenjcardoza.com
      (for links to PatriotWorld.com, Mrs. B's Patriot World Podcast, Patriots Training Camp Reports, Razor's Edge Tailgate, Muse with Me Podcast, & The 25th Hour, )