The Draft: One Opinion of Lesser Weight

  • the Shmoo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2010
      I am in no way an expert, pundit, guru, or any other type of pro draft evaluator. I have watched every draft si nce they were televised. I watch college games, lots of them, even teams I don't care for. I am going out on a limb here, and stating the whole thing is just a crap shoot.The massive amount of study and interviews and everything else can all go down the toilet for any number of reasons. That is why I think there are really no bad draft picks at the time of their choosing. There is only the perception of one player being superior to the next. Ryan Leaf comes to mind. ANd Tom Brady. One was a top pick. One went in the sixth round. The same is true of every position; one wrong step on the field, and a miniscus is torn. A guy goes to a party and gets stabbed and dies, and never gets to get drafted. There is substance abuse, egotistical head-swelling that destroys a good work ethic, and guys that just can't take the net step. Maybe their new coach isn't a good fit for them. The point I am feebly trying to make is this: It is impossible to grade a team's draft based only on who thay took. A good draft results in victories. I put little stock in big name players. Sure, numbers don't lie, but there are too many factors to consider when you compare one guy to the next. Yet, I still thoroughly enjoy reading the mocks and watching the draft every year, then seeing how these young men transform into beasts or busts, and how some coaches, seem to master the intangibles to put together a winning team yeat after year. Go Pats! (You guys still awake?) lol