Re: [patriotzip] Zip's Draft, Schedule and Off Season Comments

  • Steve Basile
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2010
      Nice draft analysis, but on to the important stuff:  CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT!

      and the Teva Life Agent Award!

      Three Cheers for Zip!
       Baze

      --
      Steve Basile
      Manager

      On May 5, 2010, at 2:27 PM, RandyZ. Pierce wrote:

      Well it's been an interesting off-season and I freely admit being a bit distracted away from some of the Pats progress
      though on the overall I'm keeping apace mostly due to Twitter as a great source for quick news feeds on the Pats and
      NFL.

      First and foremost I think the Wilfork signing and his response to it are very significant for this team. He was a
      very pivotal piece and while the defense rolled over on their final game against the Ravens, I think he is a
      cornerstone from which this defense will function well going forward.

      We did n ot make a splash in free agency while the AFC in the Jets and Dolphins were very active. I think we have put
      an emphasis on building a team with chemistry and that is something which I think slipped from us a bit over the last
      two years. and absolutely last year.

      Gerard Warren is a solid addition and gave us dsome draft day freedom where I think a corner of that caliber/potential
      was an understandable pick. In this era of the NFL we must have a trio of high quality cover corners and I think
      Bodden is good, Butler promising and that ends our talent in which I'll have confidence. Wilhite fell steadily flatter
      after his police run-in in mid-season. Springs is unlikely to have what we need for a full season and seems to be a
      slight impact on team chemistry.

      We got two of the top three tight ends and that may pay some benefit if they deliver and our schemes use them. Brady
      has used them much in the past but fell away from them in art, I think, to the suspect hands of his targets. It's why
      the Dave Thomas move surprised me as he had perhaps the best of the hands last year. Crumpler is a blocking machine
      who allegedly is trimming down nicely for the season but we'll see what's left in his tank. If we were confident we
      would not have taken a pair at this position imo.

      I love the punter pick and note the emphasis on special teams evident throughout the draft. We have ot improve on
      special teams and I thik we did. Training camp will verify if that is true.

      I worry at running back particularly for the long term and I worry about Wide Receiver for the short term as we learn
      what the impact of Welker will be for the season.

      Over all I see us improving the mid-range strength of the team considerably. No spectacular announcements but many
      subtle improvements. Our division got tougher and we better be mentally tougher if we are to handle this season with
      success. I cannot nearly judge enough until training camp but I see the schedule and think it has a good balance for
      our home and travel mix. Some tough games and we'll get an early measure in our division as well as a strong middle
      test of our league preparedness. In the pivotal month of December we have some tough night games at home and that
      month will probably do much to decide the AFC East. I'm ready for some football!

      All that said, it's already a successful start to the year with several bits of great news off the football forums!

      http://www.pitcheng ine.com/free- release.php? id=60140

      oh...and then there's the engagement to Tracy too! ;-)

      Randy
      & the Mighty Quinn
      www.zipdogblog. com

    • Machado.Nicholas