Draft opinions?

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 25, 2010
      What does everyone think of the draft picks?We took more players than I thought we would, but it seems as though (on paper at least) we got some good choices.
      I'm most excited about Weston, Hernandez, and Dedearick.
      Why did we take a QB--is it something that we just do to see how they are as a backup?
      Pete Carroll is such a jerk...he was saying that the Patriots (and the Jets) would have been SO much better when he "coached" if he had been given free-reign of the draft choices.
    • Stephen Basile
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 25, 2010
        Every year, no matter how much I yell at the TV, BB seems to ignore me and pick the players HE seems to think are best for the team (and this year I was yelling really loudly).  I swear I don't know how this team gets by without me (or Pete Carroll) on Draft Day.

        The picks are often confounding (another corner?) sometimes perplexing (no QB till the 7th, even as a project? no defensive line help early?  no Sergio Kindle, no Dez Bryant?) but ultimately things  seem to work out when I have had a beer and moved away from the TV till about July.

        I like the giant of a TE we got (Gronkowski, who apparently comes with his own gravitational pull), and since we added our 19th CB (I think :-) if I was Springs or Wheatley I'd be thinking about a new line of work (or at least another team)

        I think Bryant would have been a good choice at WR, and think he could learn to bring his shoes to practice and avoid rules violations in NE.  I would have liked to see us pick up Colt McCoy as a real backup QB, or even Clausen, since both came a lot more cheaply than Mel Kiper would have had us think.  I don't see the sack leader/pass rusher I want yet, but I guess Bill deserves another year at the helm.

        Ready for some football!

        Baze

        PS: Worst televised event ever.  Round 1 by itself on one day is a HORRIBLE idea, like watching paint dry, especially if you are a Pats fan.  A televised draft is a stretch period, but at least with 3 rounds at once it gets over quickly.

        --
        Steve Basile
        Manager

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
          First a defense of Pete Carroll, he was absolutely handcuffed by a woefully ineffective Bobby Grier not only making
          (many) bad picks but also being a go-between for disgruntled players like Terry Glenn. Ultimately Carroll is saying
          the same thng as Bellichick and Parcells...that having more control enhances a quality coach's ability to make the team
          better. Whether that would have worked for Carroll we won't know though I'd say he had an excellent draft. Ultimately
          though, I'm glad we have BB rather than Carroll.

          Regarding ourdraft I'm not far from Steve's view that each year I can see a lot of different directins I might prefer
          but mostly BB is bulding a quality team with much better insight into team needs, and player abilities. The AFC East
          added a lot of Wide Recever talent and I think our first pick will help us be better at defending it. Our Special
          teams needed a significant upgrade and he adds that as well...BB gives the Special Teams a much higher impact on games
          than most folks and I can't really say he's wrong.

          We didn't get a Defensive End...but had Gerard Warren in the pocket for post draft. Good signing there imo and our
          Warren book-ends can stop the run...especially if Spikes delivers in the middle as well as I think he might. He's
          slow...except when you see him play in games. Reminds me of a famous Wide Receiver who dropped on draft boards for
          similar reasons...gy named Jerry Rice. Game speed will always be far more important to me than combine speed.

          Two high quality tight ends though whether they deliver we won't know until we reach the season. We did know it was a
          significant need on this team as wel as the need to use them more. We have used the TE much in the past with brady and
          I think if the TE has enough quality he will become a part of the scheme.

          Overall I like our draft - hard to be overwhelemed picking late as we did but there are some quality potential players
          here...now to turn potetial to reality.

        • frankdanabrewster
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
            I hear a lot of people complaining about Spikes. When I read his scouting report - too slow, not big enough, but great instincts, and a hard worker - it reminded me of a guy who used to wear #54 for this team. Be nice if this pick worked out that well.

            Good TE pickups. Probably the two best in the draft... but then, we've said that before. The best punter in the draft. Not a reach for me. That could be an important pick. I have no problem with the McCourty pick, either. It's a pass happy-league, and he's supposed to be a good cover corner. We have a couple underachievers at CB that need to be either pushed to step up their game, or pushed out the door. His special teams ability is a plus.

            All-in-all, it looks pretty good on paper. You never really know for a year of two. The "experts" seem to like it, from what I've read.

            fdb

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010

              All I can say is … I agree. Good summary,  Randy.

              I’m not overwhelmed; but I’m certainly not disappointed. I think BB did a good job of trying to fill some weak spots, c0mbining the draft picks with the FA signings.

              I was particularly pleased with the draft of (reportedly) the best punter coming out this year. I have been constantly frustrated with that part of our game for years. And I also love the TE picks. I really want to see the team return to effective use of that position. That’s another piece that’s been missing for years.

              As always, we won’t know much until we see these kids perform on the field. But I like the potential I see in this draft. And, of course, there may yet be much more to come with future FA signings.

              No need for Patriots fans to despair. I see plenty of reasons to expect a team that could take it all the way. Let’s just see how it plays out. Personally, I’m going into the season with an optimistic perspective.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
                 I also like Gronkowski, have head good things about him. Maybe they didn't want to take Clausen or McCoy because of the money they'd have to pay? The one they picked could end up on that practice squad?
                I heard that they might split the draft between two cities in the future? That would also seem to drag it out longer too.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
                  Sorry about that...shouldn't have said anything about Pete Carroll. Guess I'm just tired of hearing from him/about him constantly in the papers here. He did do well for USC, although that's not where most of the draft picks usually come from. I'm with you though that I'd rather have BB at our helm.
                  I have alot of questions about the particulars of the draft (as you might imagine...lol), but I'll look it up! Just one though...are there rules about who usually picks for each team or does each NFL team handle it their own way? Is it a team effort with the owners, coaches, etc?
                  I like the kicker we got too, but as we know it will come down to how any of them handles the step-up to the NFL.
                  As you said, over all I think we did well for the position we were in...several analyses I've seen have us up there with Seattle and Oakland as far as very good drafts.
                  I'm ready for football too...GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!
                  You guys back there have your Celtics and Bruins to keep you busy!

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
                    Was there anyone that we wanted, but didn't get?
                    Seems as though Kindle or Weatherspoon would have been good.
                    Love your signature line George...let's hope it comes true for us!
                    GO PATS!!!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010

                      Sure, why not make it a prime time ‘Reality Show’. Each week, beginning right after the Super Bowl, they have a one hour show, with 18 picks each week, surrounded by of highlights of the football careers and home life of each player picked. A regular weekly “Blind Side” movie. The show could run for 12 weeks, cover all the picks, and keep the NFL on prime time TV all the way into May!

                      (Please don’t NFL management see this. They might actually do it!)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 26, 2010
                        Good going George. You know how many people lurk this list? Now I have that to look forward to. They'll probably find a way to tie it in with "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" or "American Idol". Drat!

                        Harry

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 28, 2010

                          Yeah, I could have made a fortune in TV; but my conscience just wouldn’t allow it! How do those people sleep at night throwing such crap at the American public? J

                          Oh well. At least we can sleep well for the next couple of months, waiting to see if our mostly optimistic feelings about this year’s Draft are justified. I think we may have done quite a bit to improve STs, with the addition of what appears to be an outstanding punter (needed one for years!), and a promising KR. Add to that a WR with potential; the 2 highly rated TE’s, to hopefully put that position back into our game plans; and some promising help for what was a below average D last year in McCourty at CB, Cunningham at DE/OLB, and Spikes at ILB. Not to mention the veterans added via FA (so far). Overall, I see good reason for optimism.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 28, 2010
                            Hey George,

                            Yeah, I find myself watching less and less television programing as the years go by. Even the few decent shows are so clogged with commercials I usually pass.

                            I liked the film I saw of the two new LB's. Do you know if Spikes is related to Takeo Spikes? Saw plenty of pass rush out of Cunningham in the film. Bronkowski looks like he could be a monster and Hernandez is supposed to be and looked even better as a receiver. Finally drafted a WR who was over 5ft something. Liked what I read aboutIn fact all the picks look good but that is generally how I feel every year. The thing I liked that was different this year was the emphasis on picking players with leadership qualities and experience which I feel was likely the biggest problem last year. With Wilfork saying he intended to step up that part of his game the team will hopefully regain some of the tenacity that has been lacking since Harrison, Bruschi and Seymour left.

                            This is the link to some film of the new picks in case anyone missed it;   http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/04/heres_your_visu.html

                            Harry

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 28, 2010
                              Brenden Spikes is Takeo Spikes cousin

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 28, 2010
                                I'm really enjoying hearing about Bronkowski and Hernandez...any player that's described as a monster out there makes my day!!! Sure hope we can get our fearsome team back again!

                                GO PATS!!!!

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 28, 2010
                                  Thank you Sean. If he does as well as the other guy on the team with the famous cousin the Pats should have a solid addition to the LB corp.

                                  Harry