Re: [patriotzip] At the game

  • philw1776@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 10/1/2002 11:37:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rob.bosch@... writes:

      As for the run defense, this is what bothers me most of all. I'm still shocked it's happening, as I think we would all agree that this is something we didn't worry about with Seymour and Martin in the middle. Bob George's article sums it up nicely. Is the lack of team speed on defense, and the age factor, catching up with the Pats? I think that the problems will eventually get fixed, but it has been hard to watch the Pats get sliced and diced two weeks in a row. You just know that the Dolphins will run Ricky until he drops this Sunday. It's quite simple...if he has similar success against the Pats this Sunday then the Pats will be 3-2. But if the Pats just slow him down a little and force Fiedler to beat them, then I like our chances. It's really not any more complicated than that.

      As for Willie...well...he's just being Willie. This is the story of his career. Big games followed by disappearing acts. Sorry Zip...you just knew I had to get that in didn't you?

      I think the LBs ARE another year slower.  That's a fact. But BB himself correctly said that it's up to the defensive backfield to be in position to bring down the runner if he escapes the front 7.  Bring 'em down after 10-12 yds maybe but bring that sucka down.

      -philw (not easy when you're in pass coverage)
    • Rob Bosch
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        [Rob Bosch] It's kind of funny that everybody worried about the offense before the season started, and just assumed that the defense would play exactly the way it did last year. We all had hopes for the offense because of the new weapons, but we still had to see it to believe it. Now the offense appears to be fine, but age and lack of speed on defense might be the team's achille's heal. I know it's early, and I'm not pushing the panic button yet, but I am concerned. While this year's draft focused almost entirely on offense, I think you will see the opposite happen next year. Give me some LB's (with speed) and a young CB to groom as Otis' replacement (unless Leonard Myers can get healthy and develop). The Pats hopefully have a defensive end of the future with Jarvis Green, but another body in this area would not hurt either.

        [Rob Bosch] And I agree with your signature line Phil. I realize that the corners and safeties play major roles in stopping long gains, but they are busy covering receivers and tight ends. I would much rather see the D-line and LB's doing their job more effectively. I'm getting pretty sick of seeing opposing running backs running free 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

        -Pats Freak