Welker Injured

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
      Well, that's the other edge of the blade. I hope this one doesn't hurt for two seasons, sinking our playoff hopes this year and having Welker out all of next season too. Rest or risk? We've seen the Colts hurt themselves with too much rest, we may have just done the opposite. One of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

      Scott Sheaffer
    • Barry Rosen
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
        We did do the opposite. You rest and protect your players after you clinch. That's what the Colts did. That's what the Saints are doing today. That's the reason Welker is hurt -- and for no good reason. We blew it.

        On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Scott <kmacalp@...> wrote:

        Well, that's the other edge of the blade. I hope this one doesn't hurt for two seasons, sinking our playoff hopes this year and having Welker out all of next season too. Rest or risk? We've seen the Colts hurt themselves with too much rest, we may have just done the opposite. One of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

        Scott Sheaffer

      • Mike Benson
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
          I have to agree. In fact, I don't even think Brady should have played today. We should have been protecting our key players for the playoffs. Because it's not just about RESTING your players after you clinch, it's about PROTECTING them from injury. Edelman should have started. In fact, he PROVED he should have started. The Welker injury NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED. BB made a HUGE mistake. And for what? For a loss. This is sickening.

        • patfan1@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
            Guess I am on the other side on this argument.

            From: Mike Benson <mbenson321@...>
            Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:42:13 -0800 (PST)
            To: <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
              Like I said, Barry, it's a double edged sword. Resting players hasn't been very good for the Colts in the past. Indy has a lot of one and done play off appearances when they've done what they've done the past two weeks. On the other hand, when they played hard all the way through in the 2006 season, they won the Super Bowl.

              Plus, Welker got hurt on the first drive, right? Even the Colts had their starters in early in their game. Welker would have gotten hurt even if New England followed Indy's approach.

              You can rest too many players for too long and get rusty, or you can risk losing a key player. Neither option is very good, but you're guaranteed to build up rust if you give guys two weeks off and then get a bye like the Colts are getting. At least there's an element of chance when it comes to injuries.

              That said, I'm puzzled by New England's approach today. Brady comes in, Brady goes out. Brady comes in, the coaches play musical chairs with the line men protecting him. Chance to win, Brady goes out. There may be sound logic behind it, but I'm only a fan, and I don't have all the info, so it looks like yet more bizarre decision making in a season filled with strange decisions.

              Scott Sheaffer

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Barry Rosen <barry.rosen143@...> wrote:

              > We *did* do the opposite. You rest and protect your players after you
              > clinch. That's what the Colts did. That's what the Saints are doing today.
              > That's the reason Welker is hurt -- and for no good reason. We blew it.
              >
              > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Scott <kmacalp@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Well, that's the other edge of the blade. I hope this one doesn't hurt for
              > > two seasons, sinking our playoff hopes this year and having Welker out all
              > > of next season too. Rest or risk? We've seen the Colts hurt themselves with
              > > too much rest, we may have just done the opposite. One of those damned if
              > > you do, damned if you don't situations.
              > >
              > > Scott Sheaffer

            • David Price
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                Welker needed 3 catches I think to have the second best season in terms of receptions.  There was no way he wasn't playing at least the first series and going for that record.  Deal with it people.  He wanted it I am sure and Belichick was going to give him the chance to go for it.  It was the first series for crying out loud!  Even in the last preseason game the starters play the first series.  It is an unfortunate injury and let's hope not too serious.  Think positive!  Edelman looked great, best I've seen him play so far.

                Dave

                To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
                From: mbenson321@...
                Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:42:13 -0800

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                  I do agree completely at the Brady comments. That was surprising.

                  Welker got hurt without being hit. Cannot do anything about that.

                  Great email Scott.

                  Monty

                  Like I said, Barry, it's a double edged sword. Resting players hasn't been very good for the Colts in the past. Indy has a lot of one and done play off appearances when they've done what they've done the past two weeks. On the other hand, when they played hard all the way through in the 2006 season, they won the Super Bowl.

                  Plus, Welker got hurt on the first drive, right? Even the Colts had their starters in early in their game. Welker would have gotten hurt even if New England followed Indy's approach.

                  You can rest too many players for too long and get rusty, or you can risk losing a key player. Neither option is very good, but you're guaranteed to build up rust if you give guys two weeks off and then get a bye like the Colts are getting. At least there's an element of chance when it comes to injuries.

                  That said, I'm puzzled by New England's approach today. Brady comes in, Brady goes out. Brady comes in, the coaches play musical chairs with the line men protecting him. Chance to win, Brady goes out. There may be sound logic behind it, but I'm only a fan, and I don't have all the info, so it looks like yet more bizarre decision making in a season filled with strange decisions.

                  Scott Sheaffer

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Barry Rosen <barry.rosen143@...> wrote:

                  > We *did* do the opposite. You rest and protect your players after you
                  > clinch. That's what the Colts did. That's what the Saints are doing today.
                  > That's the reason Welker is hurt -- and for no good reason. We blew it.
                  >
                  > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Scott <kmacalp@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Well, that's the other edge of the blade. I hope this one doesn't hurt for
                  > > two seasons, sinking our playoff hopes this year and having Welker out all
                  > > of next season too. Rest or risk? We've seen the Colts hurt themselves with
                  > > too much rest, we may have just done the opposite. One of those damned if
                  > > you do, damned if you don't situations.
                  > >
                  > > Scott Sheaffer

                • Mike Benson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                    Yeah, it was worth it. Right. Bad coaching. Period.

                    To: patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
                    From: mbenson321@yahoo. com
                    Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:42:13 -0800

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                      Can't compare this to the Colts situation. Manning, Wayne, Clark, etc., played into the 3rd quarter against the Jets. This happened to Welker early in the first. Who knows how far he BB was going to let him play. You certainly don't want your starters to not play at all for two weeks, then expect them to turn it on in the playoffs.

                      I was surprised that Brady played as long as he did, however.

                      fdb

                      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Barry Rosen <barry.rosen143@...> wrote:

                      > We *did* do the opposite. You rest and protect your players after you
                      > clinch. That's what the Colts did. That's what the Saints are doing today.
                      > That's the reason Welker is hurt -- and for no good reason. We blew it.
                      >
                      > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Scott <kmacalp@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Well, that's the other edge of the blade. I hope this one doesn't hurt for
                      > > two seasons, sinking our playoff hopes this year and having Welker out all
                      > > of next season too. Rest or risk? We've seen the Colts hurt themselves with
                      > > too much rest, we may have just done the opposite. One of those damned if
                      > > you do, damned if you don't situations.
                      > >
                      > > Scott Sheaffer

                    • Mark Morse
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                        The Weker injury was a fluke ... that could have happened in practice.  I just don't like losing while playing most of the starters.  Why subject Brady to all those hits?  They should have rested him.  Hindsight is great  I know.  I'm OK with being the #4 seed (actually preffered it).

                      • patfan1@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                          I know you would prefer to play the Dolts in the second round (hoping we get there).
                          Monty

                          From: Mark Morse <packy001@...>
                          Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:22:22 -0800 (PST)
                          To: <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: Re: [patriotzip] Re: Welker Injured

                          The Weker injury was a fluke ... that could have happened in practice.  I just don't like losing while playing most of the starters.  Why subject Brady to all those hits?  They should have rested him.  Hindsight is great  I know.  I'm OK with being the #4 seed (actually preffered it).

                          Can't compare this to the Colts situation. Manning, Wayne, Clark, etc., played into the 3rd quarter against the Jets. This happened to Welker early in the first. Who knows how far he BB was going to let him play. You certainly don't want your starters to not play at all for two weeks, then expect them to turn it on in the playoffs.

                          I was surprised that Brady played as long as he did, however.

                          fdb

                          --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, Barry Rosen <barry.rosen143@ ...> wrote:

                          > We *did* do the opposite. You rest and protect your players after you
                          > clinch. That's what the Colts did. That's what the Saints are doing today.
                          > That's the reason Welker is hurt -- and for no good reason. We blew it.
                          >
                          > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Scott <kmacalp@... > wrote:
                          >

                          > > Well, that's the other edge of the blade. I hope this one doesn't hurt for
                          > > two seasons, sinking our playoff hopes this year and having Welker out all
                          > > of next season too. Rest or risk? We've seen the Colts hurt themselves with
                          > > too much rest, we may have just done the opposite. One of those damned if
                          > > you do, damned if you don't situations.
                          > >
                          > > Scott Sheaffer

                        • Rich Carreiro
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                            kmacalp@... ("Scott") writes:

                            > That said, I'm puzzled by New England's approach today. Brady comes
                            > in, Brady goes out. Brady comes in, the coaches play musical chairs
                            > with the line men protecting him. Chance to win, Brady goes
                            > out.

                            I wonder if the reason why Brady started the 3rd quarter was to
                            get him and Edelman more live game experience in the wake
                            of Welker injury.

                            --
                            Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...
                          • Mike Benson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                              It's not about not Welker being hurt without being hit. How it happened doesn't matter. It wouldn't have happened if he wasn't playing. Brady shouldn't have been playing either. Shitty coaching.

                              Like I said, Barry, it's a double edged sword. Resting players hasn't been very good for the Colts in the past. Indy has a lot of one and done play off appearances when they've done what they've done the past two weeks. On the other hand, when they played hard all the way through in the 2006 season, they won the Super Bowl.

                              Plus, Welker got hurt on the first drive, right? Even the Colts had their starters in early in their game. Welker would have gotten hurt even if New England followed Indy's approach.

                              You can rest too many players for too long and get rusty, or you can risk losing a key player. Neither option is very good, but you're guaranteed to build up rust if you give guys two weeks off and then get a bye like the Colts are getting. At least there's an element of chance when it comes to injuries.

                              That said, I'm puzzled by New England's approach today. Brady comes in, Brady goes out. Brady comes in, the coaches play musical chairs with the line men protecting him. Chance to win, Brady goes out. There may be sound logic behind it, but I'm only a fan, and I don't have all the info, so it looks like yet more bizarre decision making in a season filled with strange decisions.

                              Scott Sheaffer

                              --- In patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com, Barry Rosen <barry.rosen143@ ...> wrote:

                              > We *did* do the opposite. You rest and protect your players after you
                              > clinch. That's what the Colts did. That's what the Saints are doing today.
                              > That's the reason Welker is hurt -- and for no good reason. We blew it.
                              >
                              > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Scott <kmacalp@... > wrote:
                              >

                              > > Well, that's the other edge of the blade. I hope this one doesn't hurt for
                              > > two seasons, sinking our playoff hopes this year and having Welker out all
                              > > of next season too. Rest or risk? We've seen the Colts hurt themselves with
                              > > too much rest, we may have just done the opposite. One of those damned if
                              > > you do, damned if you don't situations.
                              > >
                              > > Scott Sheaffer

                            • Mike Benson
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                                "Welker needed 3 catches I think to have the second best season in terms of receptions"

                                Who cares? It's not about Welker, it's about the team. Remember how the Pats took the field in their first Super Bowl win? As a team. No stars. Welker should have been benched for the sake of the team in the playoffs. Brady should have sat it out too. BB screwed up big time. No good reason for this.

                                To: patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
                                From: mbenson321@yahoo. com
                                Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:42:13 -0800

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                                  All right Mike, look, I get it.  You're not happy. I am certainly not happy if Welker misses the playoffs myself.  But somebody had to play, right?  It was likely the starters were going out there for the first series anyway.  And BB has shown that he gives credence to individual achievements as well.  You have to throw the players a bone once in a while.  Didn't the whole team play in 07 to go for the undefeated season?  Weren't Brady and Moss still going for the Touchdown records?  You can bring up the Superbowl loss all you want, but that game was not lost because the starters played in the last regular season game.

                                  To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mbenson321@...
                                  Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:21:49 -0800

                                  To: patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
                                  From: mbenson321@yahoo. com
                                  Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:42:13 -0800

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 3, 2010
                                    Hindsight is definitely 20/20.  A guy can get injured walking down a flight of stairs, or taking a shower, or crossing a street.    I agree that BB does have the power to control the roster, and I don't think a player can talk him out of such a decision once it has been made.  What happened to Welker, though, was a freak accident that probably had a very low percentage of occurring.  Are you sure that you aren't beating up on the coach for the accumulation of other mistakes that have been occurring all season?  It is my opinion, however lame, that this season has been very tough on the coach mentally.  The defense was shaky to begin with, there were key injuries happening seemingly constantly, there was yet another change in his staff, and criticism rains down on him daily.  The guy has to be perfect to avoid it.  I am guilty of it as well.  I still think you rest the starters at key positions, but when you think you need them to win the game,you play them.  If winning doesn't matter, then why bother to suit up at all?  This game wasn't lost because Welker got hurt.  Taylor fumbled in his own end zone, Brady threw a pick in his own end of the field, the secondary can't cover well enough to shut down mediocre receivers,  Warren and Wilfork are out, and more.  Maybe it was a bad decision to play him, but if he didn't get hurt and we won, nobody would be complaining that he played.  BB would look like a genius again.  If we survive the playoffs, and win the SB, it will be because the players who played stepped up accordingly, the game plans were correct, and the other teams made more mistakes than we did.  Okay, I'm through pontificating now.  I hope I made sense, I am very tired.  Keep the faith, fellow Pats fans.  It ain't over til it's over.  Go Pats!
                                    Anything can happen, to Anyone, at Anytime.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 4, 2010
                                      The choice in how and when to play Brady certainly seems strange to me as well. If it was purely more time with
                                      Eddleman and others than why was he removed in the second when Wes was already injured and that time would have been
                                      valuable too? Maybe they re-evaluated at half time but hard to say.

                                      If they were just protecting Brady from unnecessary hits with the late pull than why the three passes on the drive
                                      before that when we had a lead. We really did do some head scratching things in this game though I don't think the
                                      fact Welker was playing was a coaching blunder. I am, however, with Mark in being frustrated that if we play our
                                      starters I want to get better results and it seemed we didn't set them up for the better results that get you to the
                                      playoffs peaking. If you aren't going to set them up for those best results than I start to wonder why we play them so
                                      much.

                                    • Monty Rodrigues
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 4, 2010
                                        In all honesty ... my feeling is the injury happened, it's time to get over it.  What I can't get over though is yet another stupid pick by Brady.  Yet another fourth quarter lead blown.  Yet another second half for our offense blew chunks.

                                        What's going on here?
                                        monty

[...]

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                            Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                            patriotzip-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                            patriotzip-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      • Ed Bryant
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 4, 2010
                                          Hoyer hasn't played in competitive situations since August.  His depth chart ahead of him guy has broken ribs, a broken finger, and a shoulder injury to go with a surgically repaired knee.   Why not let Hoyer direct the four minute offense?  He may need to do so on short notice at any time, and we've reached the Win Or Go Home stage.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 4, 2010
                                            I want to second Monte in my opposition to Brady's first and second down interceptions.

                                                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/patriotzip /join

                                                patriotzip-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                                                http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 4, 2010
                                              I totally agree, Monty. The "trademarks" of this year's Patriots team, to date, are Brady repeatedly making poor, rookie-like decision under pressure; and team collapses in the 2nd half. Yes, they won 10 games. But take a look at the final records of the teams they beat in those games. I see glaring weaknesses in the defense; and, most disturbing for this franchise in the BB era, a noticeable lack of leadership from within the team. All of that leaves me less than optimistic about what remains of this season.

                                              Anything can happen in the playoffs; so I'm not making any absolute declarations of doom. But I will say that I will be very surprised if this team wins more than one playoff game.

                                              George

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 5, 2010

                                                Mike B, I think we get it. You hate Belichick and he's never right. It's been pointed out that even the Colts had their starters play early in their game, and Welker would have been in even if we'd copied the Colts exactly. They put their guys in early, and then pull them. So even with the Colts brilliant coaching staff running things for the Pats rather than that foolish Belichick fellow, Welker still would have gotten hurt!

                                                Plus, Indy's approach of resting their players for most of the final two weeks has been disasterous for them in the past. In 05, they also went 14-2 just like this year. They had the best record in the NFL just like this year. They rested guys for most of the final few weeks, got a bye, and then lost their first playoff game to a team they'd breezed past earlier in the year. Indy has a lot of playoff performances like that all coming after they'd followed your strategy of resting their starters.

                                                Both approaches have risks. Rest the guys and they get rusty and you lose as the Colts have repeatedly shown. Play them and someone important might get hurt, in which case you lose.

                                                It's not bad coaching, it's just a situation whether neither option is good, and you have to pick one or the other.

                                                Scott Sheaffer
                                              • Mike Benson
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 5, 2010
                                                  I don't hate BB. I just would have protected my stars. And who cares what the Colts do.