Fandom of Team and Sport

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2010
      Great historical references aside I'm often interested in how many people are motivated by intense dislike for a team,
      player or some 'other' aspect from their own team. I remember prior to 9/11 how much vitriole would appear on the
      message board which was the precursor to this list. Primarily the 'border war' of NYJ and your New England Patriots
      was in full swing and the hostilities were more intense than reasonable. Despite all that I worked through it with a
      group of Jets fans from jetsinsider.com and developed a few quality friendships. Absolutely the more aggressive
      aspects of competition and chest thumping worked to the surface at times and I really tried to minimize any credibility
      of interaction to those aspects. Fans of other teams love the same sport and while they may want different results on
      game day and may 'play' at some level of adversary, the true adversarial aspects for me are always reserved for deeds
      and not team alliances. heck fans of other teams frequently have tremendous insight into their own teams from which I
      learn more about a sport and competition which I appreciate greatly.

      For me I have some trouble with perceived/believed hypocrisy from Bill Polian and I always recall that Irsay stole a
      team away from a city (Baltimore) which loved their franchise. Despite this the Colts-Pats rivalry is one which I've
      really enjoyed. It's been frustrating that after a solid run of dominance our direction we have been victimized the
      other direction in recent history and for me I really look forward to more battles between Brady, Manning, Bellichick,
      Polian and crew. My enjoyment is enhanced by the intensity of the rivalry and not with a strong negative overtone.

      So I love the Crush my opponent mantra on game day which for me means execute better by plan, design and execution on
      the field. Be successful and bring about the more whiny side of Peyton which is one of the few aspects of his
      performance I do not admire or respect.

      Just my thoughts on the Conan/Kahn quotes.

      Crush the Texans and enter the playoffs on a peaking drive
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2010
        In baseball for me a New York Yankmees loss gives me as much joy as a red sox win. I hate the Yankees so much I vote republican because they have never won a world series the same year a republican has been elected president.

        But there is not a football team that I have that same deep seeded hatered . I think the two team I enjoy hateing the most are the jets and the cowgirls. The cowgirls probably come the closest to the same hate I have for the yankmees. If the Pats lose and the cowgirls lose it kind of even outs my mood for that day. Living in cowgirl country has increased my hatered and them lossing gives me almost as much joy as the patriots winning but I much rather see the Pats win than the cowgirls lose.

        But while I hate the team, my hatered does not spill over towards their fans. I was at a cowboy game and a guy threaten to punch my pregnant sister, because she supported the patriots

        I think there is a fine line one should walk between supports your team and being an obnoxious ass. Kansas city is a perfect example, they love their team but the were very friendly towards my sister and I. Houston and Dallas were the worst cities in treatment towards opposing fans. I love the Pats but I wouldn't get in a fight over them. Sell my first child for season tickets , maybe but pick a fight with some Romo fan , NO.

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Machado.Nicholas