NPC: McDaniels vs. Marshall

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2010
      Clear Day

      MAN, this one really has me twisted!

      I like Josh McDaniels. But, seeing his problems with Cutler and Marshall, I have to question his maturity and judgment as a Head Coach.

      Now let me add that, as most of you who know me, that I tend to be conservative in my opinions, and side with management on most issues.

      But I also try to be fair, and acknowledge the youth of most players in the NFL, and the "bad behavior" that comes with it. Add to that youth the impact of "celebrity" status throughout their high school, college, and early NFL years, and you have a significantly challenging personality to deal with.

      Great professional athletes live in a different world from most of us. We will never know the fame, sudden wealth, or admiration that these young men experience. The challenge of getting maximum effort out of these "kids" is tremendous. Their motivation, and their view of the world, is difficult for most of us to grasp, let alone to "manage".

      As a young man, with nothing even close to the physical ability to play at the professional level in any sport, I had dreams of coaching in either baseball or football, the two sports in which I believed I had the greatest understanding of the game. Things were much simpler in those days. The players did not receive salaries that could, within a few years of play, literally make them wealthy for the rest of their lives.

      Today, managing such players is a challenge that is tough to comprehend. Most NFL players are still very immature, as human beings. Yet they command salaries that corporate CEOs work for 30 years or more to achieve. They are psychologically unprepared to deal with their fame and fortune. But the fact is that it's there!

      Their reaction to that fame and fortune is very diverse. It is a very difficult challenge for a coach to recognize and deal with that reaction.

      All that said, my gut reaction is that Josh McDaniels is not yet ready to deal with that difficult challenge. I'm not saying that Cutler and Marshall are "right", and McDaniels is "wrong". I'm saying that, IMO, McDaniels lacks the maturity to handle the immaturity and aforementioned challenges that dwell within young superstars like Cutler and Marshall.

      Brandon Marshall is a fantastically talented young WR. I'd LOVE to have that talent on the Patriots team. Could BB handle Marshall's immaturity? Well, I'll just say that I think he'd have a hell of a lot better chance of doing so than Josh McDaniels.