Re: [patriotzip] The OC

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
      I'm in complete agreement in the frustration of running a three yard route when the play needs 5 for a first down. I
      assume that some of these routes are not designed for distance but for defensive reaction which only intensifies the
      frustration. Run a route which is geared to distance when distance is what you most need. The exception to this is
      the WR screen and quick passes which are based upon needing some YAC but I'd caveat that these aren't ideal plays for
      needed distance - particularly when defenses are prepped for such.

      We actually did run the screen passes to the back a fair bit more Monday George and had mixed success on them. Of
      course we had one run against us for the Saints first touchdown and Burgess totally misplayed it to give up the 18 yard
      touchdown.

      In regards to the coordinators, I disagree with you here. The last Superbowl we won was under Weiss and Crennell for
      certain though in 2007 we were clearly still playing Championship level football. The trouble isn't entirely we
      haven't found successful coordinators as Mangini (washes mouth out with soap) and McDaniels were both good at their job
      as well. We've just transitioned a little too frequently for the stability which best helps a program be successful.
      I agree that O'Brien isn't the right candidate based on this year's performances but I also agree that a quality
      coordinator usually wants their own system and prior to this year I'd have been hesitant to overly disrupt the system
      with which Brady, Moss and Welker had so much comfort. I really believe the lack of a quality third receiver and
      severe offensive line troubles are bothering this system nearly as much as the poor coordinator work.

      Two years ago we brought in Dom Capers (a legitimate coordinator) who was useless in getting better defensive play out
      of the unit and he was also quickly out the door for a better job.

      I do think BB takes too much on his shoulders and I do think we need to bring in a few more coaches in the off-season
      with at least one serious consideration for a better OC candidate. I also think BB saw enough in these guys to think
      they can win with them and I hope he really calls out all the coaches this week to up their game considerably for the
      stretch run.