RE: [patriotzip] The OC

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
      Thanks for mentioning those short pass routes, Don. I forgot to discuss
      that in my criticisms of the OC. At least 3 times that I can recall, our
      "short" or "check down" receivers were running routes that were 3-4 yards
      short of the required yardage for a 1st down, when that required yardage was
      only 7 yards or less. WTF is that?! Why aren't the routes designed for the
      cut to be made either right at, or a yard BEYOND the sticks?!

      If it happened on one play, it could be chalked up to some anomaly in the
      play. But, as I said, this happened repeatedly in this game; and has
      happened often in other games (though, I admit, I failed to take note of it
      before, since I don't think it was as prevalent as it was in this one).

      The whole offensive picture is screwed up under our "OC in training". Too
      long to get plays in. Brady's unfamiliarity with the plays (as evidenced by
      the wrist band that some have mentioned). Poor route design that leaves guys
      short of 1st downs on 3rd or 4th down plays. Failure to get either Moss or
      Welker free as often as they should be. Horrible play calling in critical
      situations. (Where is BB's famous "situational football" in our play
      calling?!) We have practically abandoned screen passes, and flare passes, to
      RBs. TEs are woefully under-utilized.

      Our offensive game plans, play design, and play calling SUCK. It is time for
      BB to close the "Belichick Coaching Academy", and hire EXPERIENCED,
      SUCCESSFUL Coordinators for BOTH the offense and the defense. Face it, the
      Patriots have not been Super Bowl Champions since the "Three Amigos" split
      up. The experience of Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis brought a lot to our
      team. If nothing else, it allowed Belichick to focus on the "big picture",
      as a HC should, rather than spreading himself too thin, and micro managing
      along the sidelines in every single game. Think about it. Does it ever
      appear that he is leaving decisions and "coaching" to his "BCA" assistants?
      One man can't run an NFL team by himself, assisted by a bunch of trainees.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
        I'm in complete agreement in the frustration of running a three yard route when the play needs 5 for a first down. I
        assume that some of these routes are not designed for distance but for defensive reaction which only intensifies the
        frustration. Run a route which is geared to distance when distance is what you most need. The exception to this is
        the WR screen and quick passes which are based upon needing some YAC but I'd caveat that these aren't ideal plays for
        needed distance - particularly when defenses are prepped for such.

        We actually did run the screen passes to the back a fair bit more Monday George and had mixed success on them. Of
        course we had one run against us for the Saints first touchdown and Burgess totally misplayed it to give up the 18 yard

        In regards to the coordinators, I disagree with you here. The last Superbowl we won was under Weiss and Crennell for
        certain though in 2007 we were clearly still playing Championship level football. The trouble isn't entirely we
        haven't found successful coordinators as Mangini (washes mouth out with soap) and McDaniels were both good at their job
        as well. We've just transitioned a little too frequently for the stability which best helps a program be successful.
        I agree that O'Brien isn't the right candidate based on this year's performances but I also agree that a quality
        coordinator usually wants their own system and prior to this year I'd have been hesitant to overly disrupt the system
        with which Brady, Moss and Welker had so much comfort. I really believe the lack of a quality third receiver and
        severe offensive line troubles are bothering this system nearly as much as the poor coordinator work.

        Two years ago we brought in Dom Capers (a legitimate coordinator) who was useless in getting better defensive play out
        of the unit and he was also quickly out the door for a better job.

        I do think BB takes too much on his shoulders and I do think we need to bring in a few more coaches in the off-season
        with at least one serious consideration for a better OC candidate. I also think BB saw enough in these guys to think
        they can win with them and I hope he really calls out all the coaches this week to up their game considerably for the
        stretch run.