Second Level

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
      Clear Day

      I've seen enough of the Patriots against the Colts and Saints to know that this year's edition of the Patriots is a second level team. They're certainly a good team. But they are clearly not a championship caliber team. The defense is mediocre, at best. The offense, while good, is well below the "unstoppable" level of the Colts and Saints.

      I truly believed that the offense was better than it has proven to be against both the Colts and Saints. In both cases, the opponents' secondary has been playing without a couple of starters. Yet the vaunted duo of Welker and Moss have had relatively quiet games. The offense died in the second half against the Colts. It died in the 2nd quarter against the Saints. They can't get anybody open to even close to the same degree that the Colts and Saints get their WRs open.

      My answer? I hope rumors about Charlie Weis are true. I have no doubt about the talent of Brady, Welker, and Moss. So why is everybody covered on damn near every play. I say this team has very poor coaching on the offensive side of the ball.

      Defensively, it's a combination of too many young players and too many new players. They don't have the consistency that comes with experience - experience as individuals, and experience as a team.

      I'm prepared for this year's Patriots team to make the playoffs, and leave fairly early.

      As for this game, the 2nd half kickoff has just happened. I'm prepared to sit back quietly, and watch the Saints easily roll to a win.