Re: [patriotzip] The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Miami)

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2009
      What I particularly loved about Ghost's touchback kick out of the endzone after the penalty on Sanders was that it was
      a dangerous time. A kickoff coverage team sprints the field and is a little winded usually so a penalty sets them up
      to be a little slower or more sloppy and with Ginn back there it could have been very dangerous. All of the sideline
      was congratulating him after that follow-up boomer.

      He was a big factor in the win...even made the 'tackle' on Ginn's first return.

      GO Pats!
      Zip
    • Levine, David
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 5, 2010
        The Good
        - Gotta give the #1 position to Rob Ninkovich. 2 athletic INTs and a sack to go along with it makes for a pretty complete day. Both were result of reading the play action, dropping back to cover a WR and make the play on the ball once it was in the air. That was just plain old good defense.
        - Number 2 actually goes to Ghost. He hit the 2 FG tries and 5 PATs but the big weapon was the 6 touchbacks out of 8 kicks. Having Miami start their drives at the 20 every time was a key. It forced them to make more plays to get to the EZ.
        - Patrick Chung had a pretty good game. 2 blocked kicks were the direct result of a tremendous scheme and execution. The INT for a TD was just the result of a QB and WR not being on the same page but still counts.
        - You can't overlook Zoltan's contributions. He had good saves on 2 poor snaps. Missing the 1st FG would have been devastating after such a long drive but he made a nice save. One of the PATs was a little wonky too but he handled it well. His first punt was a bomb and he also dropped one in the 20.
        - Brady gets to 100 wins quicker than anyone else. On the post game, Stewart Scott had this to say. "Any time you are ahead of Joe Montana on ay list, you are doing pretty good."
        - In the course of 2 minutes and change, we scored a FG and 2 TDs. The last second on at the end of the half, the KO return followed by a 3 and out with a punt block. That is the way to put a team on their heels.
        - BJGE was steady. He constantly fell forward and kept the legs going. He isn't flashy but is more than serviceable.
        - I am really becoming a Woodhead fan. This kid can be special. He showed his hard nose running style, slipping through holes and driving forward. He showed great awareness on the TD catch by running a great route. He even was in the backfield and picked up rushers well. He has not shown enough with his hands or blitz pickup to anoint him as the next Faulk but he is on the way. He even sticks his nose in there on ST and makes tackles.
        - With the game still within reach, the D came up with a key 4th down stop. We really needed that. It was also an emotional boost for a team that was getting trampled all day.
        - Sammy laid someone out on the Tate return. That was set up and blocked for beautifully. Tate wasn't touched and outran everyone. Watch it again when he starts up the sideline. He has a gear that humans are not supposed to have. He outruns 3 defenders by 5 yards in the span of 20.
        - D Bess is a Welker type with better speed. He can make people miss and has straight line acceleration. He doesn't run routes as well nor can he make things happen in tight spaces as well as Welker but this kid is going to be an excellent player. They need to use him more.
        - Mayo is almost back to where he was last year. 14 tackles is a good day on the field.
        - Was this a big win? Look at the way BB reacted on the sideline. He sought out every D player to smack them and congratulate them. He found the O players and celebrated. I thought Tom was going to kill him for taking him out for the last kneel down but they were both so excited and pumped for this win that their emotions were on full display.
        - The GBU will be on location in 2 weeks as I (along with 7 friends) make the journey to Foxborough to see the Pats face the Ravens. We plan to meet the crew at Wicked and caravan over to the Razor's Edge. I can't wait to see everyone again. No jokes about me actually having 7 friends please.

        The Bad
        - 2 key penalties in an otherwise clean game cost us. A hold wipes out a huge gain for Hernandez and a stupid PI call keeps a Miami drive going when we had a 3rd down stop. Nit picking, I know, but these are the things that drive me batty.
        - Gave up an average of 6 yards per play. This has to stop sometime.
        - Our zone D was way too loose. We never were near anyone who caught the ball. No matter what happened, we gave up another 5 yards after the catch.
        - No catches for Moss and never targeted. The pass in the EZ was a nice play but it was thrown a tad too far behind him and he was too worried about his feet and missed it.
        - Our tackling needs work. Too many missed tackles leads to too much YAC. No one likes to YAC when on defense.
        - With the way Carolina, San Fran, Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit are playing, we may not even get a top 5 pick out of Oakland.
        - They cut to the BB press conference about 5 seconds too late. He was on the screen laughing at a joke of some sort when they cut over to him but went serious a couple of seconds later. I wanted to see BB continue to be excited from earlier. The cameras also didn't show the handshakes after the game. I love to watch BB meet the other coach and see how long it lasts. I also like to watch the player greet just to see who seeks out who. The coverage was weird and you couldn't really see much.
        - We need to be able to pick up 3rd or 4th and 1 with a RB. This could come back to haunt us later on.

        The Ugly
        - Our 3rd down defense was putrid. Miami was 10 of 15 on conversions and were at one point 6 of 8. They were also long conversions of over 6 yards a pop.
        - Jay Cutler's pocket presence. He was sacked 10 times and at least 8 were his fault for holding the ball way too long or not throwing it to the 2nd or 3rd option in his progression. The line gave him time on many occasions and he failed to use it.
        - At the end of the first Miami drive, why would they try the wildcat on 3rd down. They were moving the ball with ease and then go to a gadget play that hasn't worked all year. We defended it perfectly.
        - It's ugly when you can pick up the "Let's go Patriots" and "Defense" chants when on the road.
        - Miami has now had 2 punts and a FG blocked in 4 games as well as giving up a TD on a kickoff. Their ST coach may not have a job next week.
        - Our O stats went way down because they were never on the field. 3 TDs by ST and D makes for an easy day at the office.
        - Dempsey kicked from his own 37 when he made the 63 yarder back when the goal posts were even with the front of the EZ. You didn't need to move the ball much to be in FG range.
        - The only undefeated team in the league is KC. I can safely say that no one, and I mean not even the most die hard Chefs fan, saw that one coming.

        Dave
      • Levine, David
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 13, 2011
          The Good
          - It's certainly nice to start the season with a win. We came out against a division rival and spanked them.
          - Our TEs are the best in the league. Gronk has improved his hands and made some really nice grabs. Hernandez has improved his blocking and strength, bouncing off a DB who had lined him up for a big hit and going another 5 yards.
          - Nice to see our front 4 get some pressure on the QB without the blitz. Ninkovich had a very nice game, being just a hair short 3 separate times for a sack. The pressure was consistent
          - Welker is so good that when going over the middle at full speed, he can slam on the brakes, catch the 5 yard pass and duck just in time before getting crushed by a LB. Smart player.
          - The reports of Deion's demise has been greatly exaggerated.
          - Our ST was great. Love Edelman as the return guy. He is not super fast but like Welker, is quick and always seems to fall forward. Is good enough to sneak through gaps to pick up a couple extra yards. Our coverage was good as well. Never let a very dangerous returner get going. Only time he broke out was because of a hold (that was called)
          - I actually thought that the refs did a good job. Most of the time, they let the players play and didn't call the hand checking and bumping by the WRs and DBs on both sides. Thought they missed the PI on the pass to Hernandez on 3rd down though. The reversals due to replay were all correct and actually were pretty quick too.
          - Dowling played well for his first time out there. Covered the 4th down goal line fade as well as you could and made a couple of other nice plays as well.
          - The OL, with 2 newcomers on the left and a backup center, gave Tommy all day to throw. Stood back there long enough to survey the field and then step into all is throws. When 12 stays clean, we win the game.
          - Nice to see Big Al get some meaningful time on the field. He will be a beast for us later in the year.
          - We stopped Miami twice on the goal line, once forcing a chip shot FG and then other a turnover on downs.
          - I suppose Brady was OK too.

          The Bad
          - Didn't like the O play calling in 2 consecutive situations that I deemed potentially key. 1st and goal at the 5. We try a short pass in the middle to a covered TE well short of the goal line that went incomplete. We then run out of the gun to Woodhead to get us to the 2. Then on 3rd, we throw wide to a LB. A TD ices the game. Should have run the 2nd down play on first and then try to get it to a real TE on 2nd and 3rd. The other was toward the end when a 1st down would have iced the game but we decide to pass on 1st down for an incompletion, run on 2nd for little gain and then throw to a covered 85 on 3rd. No time off the clock at all. Would have rather run 3 times for no gain and punt instead of that mess.
          - Yes, we gave up a ton of yardage to Miami but if you get rid of the last 2 drives when the game was over, the numbers are much more meaningful. I think we will only get better in the secondary.
          - I know we were throwing the ball all over the yard but when you can't trust the run game to get you 1 yard, we need some help. We need to commit to running BJGE a little more.
          - The Dolphins conditioning. Everyone was gasping for air and cramping up. The team clearly wasn't ready to play 60 minutes.
          - The Dolphin defensive play calling. They knew that we like to mix in the hurry up in certain situations and they seemed confused every time. They never seemed comfortable on any play. Other that the INT, I don't think they ever disguised their D set and Tom was able to check to a play that could beat it almost every time.
          - With all the passing, I would have liked to see 85 get some more time. As long as he realizes that he is 3rd on the depth chart, all is good though.

          The Ugly
          - Being short on the OL is one thing but losing our center to a broken ankle is just too much. I hope he can heal for a playoff run because we need Koppen back. Who do we get now?
          - Anyone see the Bungles beat the Browns? Nice coverage. Bungles sub, quick huddle, break, send 3 wide and snap the ball. Browns still thinking about subbing players. Result was a wide open TD to win the game.
          - Dallas collapsing at the end of the game. They were downright awful down the stretch.
          - Backed up at our own goal line, Brady motions Woodhead out wide, 5 wide spread formation. Brady moves his TE back into the line because the Dolphins show max blitz. This leaves 5 guys to cover 4. They haven't gotten to Brady all night but they think they can now? Their DBs have been getting roasted all night but they think they can cover now? Their entire D is dog tired but they think they will step up now? 99 1/2 yards later, BB is celebrating like I haven't seen him do in a long time.
          - That game seemed to drag on and on. What a long thing to watch.

          Dave

        • Don Diamant
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 13, 2011
            A delightful read as always sir! Chad is indeed third in depth but only if
            you exclude the TE's Gronk and Hernandez otherwise he's fifth.

            With two Gronkowski's it's getting very confusing. Perhaps we should refer
            to them a Robbie G and Danny G? :)

            Don

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2012
              The Good
              - We don't lose the hat and shirt games.
              - Wendell has not gotten much press but he was great. The block he threw on the Welker TD was really good.
              - The D continues to improve. We played a solid game and they really made up for an O that struggled some.
              - What a final drive. That is what we used to do. Get the ball, chew up the clock and end it with a score. We took over 7 minutes off the clock in 13 plays on that drive.
              - After starting slow, the running game really took hold in the final quarter. Ridley and the line really played hard.
              - Vince says that it's my ball.
              - A couple of sacks from Trevor Scott. Next guy up on the depth chart.

              The Bad
              - Brady wasn't his normal self. He looked a little off all day.
              - Welker dropped an easy TD.
              - Can we please stop running Woodhead up the middle? He is a great change of pace back but the standard 32 power just isn't his strong suit.
              - Ghost missed again. What is going on with him. Hit 3 later but the first was brutal.
              - Connelly was hurt again. We need him to be healthy.
              - Edelman hurt his foot. He adds a dynamic to the punt return that we need and I don't think we get with anyone
              - The first sack in forever and the first pick in forever. Got them out of the way so now we can start again.
              - Too many penalties. I hate offensive holding when we don't need to hold. It's a big penalty and tough to overcome.
              - Why can't we run on first and goal from short distance. We pass far too often in that situation. Give it to Ridley and let him pound it home.

              The Ugly
              - False start on the offence, number 82. Started running downfield prior to the snap. Five yard penalty for looking stupid, repeat first down.
              - Nice punt. No, pick up the ball. No, the ball. Ah forget it.
              - Hate the announcers. They never told us how long a play went for and constantly screwed up the call. Freaked out over the last play when Brady centered the ball and called it a fumble. Wow.
              - Personal foul on New England (pointing to Miami), personal foul on Miami (pointing to New England). Personal foul on New England, pointing to New England after already calling one on us. What a waste of a couple of minutes that was.
              - New York Jets
              - Arizona Cardinals
              - The game between the Jets and the Cardinals was the 1pm offering on FOX.

              Dave
            • Levine, David
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                The Good
                - With Houston choking away the number 1 seed, all we needed to do was take care of business and we got the bye we needed to get healthy. We did just that.
                - Gronk got a little action to get a feel for the game again before taking another week off to heal. His legs looked good and his catching was fine. He didn't use the arm to block which is a little concerning but with the bye, he should be full speed when we play again.
                - Francis has had a nice spurt at the end of the season. He is playing well and is learning the system. Though he is underrated, he has become a nice backup for us. 3 sacks is a nice way to enter the post season.
                - With the wind playing havoc with the game, Mesko was helping us control the field position. Any time he punted, he was able to pin the Dolphins inside the 20. With a long field ahead of them, our D could take advantage and make the plays needed.
                - 0 points, 7 sacks, 2 turnovers and less than 300 yards given up. Not a bad days work.
                - I liked going for it on 4th down even though we didn't make it. BB knew the wind was nasty and a FG would be less than a sure thing. Keep the O out there and try it. It didn't work in the 1st quarter but later in the game, it did.
                - Brady has 48 consecutive games with a TD pass and missed 35 for the 4th year by 2.
                - Mankins is looking much healthier. Anyone see the block he threw on the Welker screen in the 1st quarter?
                - I liked the way we mixed up our runs. Woodhead on the draw, Ridley showing patience to find the right hole. Bolden making the most of his touches. This is super important for our play action.
                - Of the 22 players who started in week 1, all played in the Miami game. We had injuries throughout the year but we are getting better now.
                - McDaniels will probably not interview for a head coaching job. More reason to think that he may be heir apparent to the Pats team when BB and Brady ride off into the sunset.
                - Loved the direct snap to Ridley when Brady moved to the left to "call the coverage." It was smart football but I would have liked to have saved it for the playoffs.
                - At the end of the first half, we had a 14 play, 6+ minute drive that ended in a TD and only 60 seconds left on the clock for Miami to work with. That is the way to win ballgames.
                - Bringing in Mallet in the punt formation causes Miami to burn a time out to figure out what is going on. Great play.

                The Bad
                - I don't think Miami's plan was to leave Welker and Gronk uncovered and allow them to score. I'm pretty sure that was not in the D game plan.
                - AP comes up 9 yards short of the record. When they got the ball at the end of the game, I told my son that he would have to break one and score in order to do it. He broke one but got caught at the 10. Too bad. I was rooting for it.
                - The play after the fumble recovery was nearly disastrous but I say the problem was not on Ridley but the design. With Brady under center and a blitzer coming straight up the middle, Ridley had to wait for Brady to clear out of the way before he could come over and make a block. Brady was slow (or the D was fast) and Ridley didn't have time to move to the left. This was a similar play a few weeks ago with Hooman and Ridley in the backfield with nearly the same result. Put Tom in the shotgun and give the RB a chance.
                - No Talib and no Dennard again. They need to use the bye to get healthy.
                - We had 3 false start penalties that could have hurt us against a better team. We can't give away yards like that in the playoffs.
                - Ninkovitch is hurt and doesn't finish because of a hip injury. I hope it is just a bruise and he will be ok in 2 weeks.
                - 4th and 7, late in the game, the good teams convert or get stopped by a good D. Bad teams drop passes to wide open players for first downs. Guess which category Miami belongs in.
                - Equipment manager Don Brocher dies from leukemia. He was the longest tenured member of the Pats with 17 years.

                The Ugly
                - The overturned call on the Welker fumble was the correct call and handled correctly by the refs. There were 3 possibilities. At first, I thought Wes bobbled the ball and then regained possession while on his knees by pinning the ball to his butt. He would have been ruled down by contact before the ball was taken away and returned. The ball, however, clearly hit the ground as an incompletion. Would have loved to have a butt catch to go along with the butt fumble from Sanchez.
                - Reggie Bush needed 30 yard to get 1000 for the year and he knew it too. When he got that 15 yard run in garbage time at the end of the game and was tackled, he threw the ball in disgust because he knew he was short. Way to be a team player. Maybe he should have been more upset about the late fumble in scoring position or the drop on a key 3rd down pass. Nope. Pissed he didn't get 1000 yards.
                - I don't normally watch random college bowl games but I watched some of the Outback Bowl between Michigan and S Carolina. What I did see was the refs royally screwing up a first down call when it was clearly short. They brought out the chains to measure on a 4th down conversion after a fake punt and ruled it a 1st down even though the ball was a few inches before the stick. I don't know how you miss something like this. It is an arbitrary placement of the ball in the first place but once you bring out the chains, they are pretty precise.
                - Why did Miami try that FG? You saw NE forgo the try because of the wind. The kick started wide right and ended up way left by the time it got there. I would have gone for it.

                Dave

              • frankdanabrewster
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                  The direct snap play was great. Something you'd see on Youtube. And Mallet in punt formation was creative as well. I wonder if they actually had something on for that punt, or just looking to confuse Miami.

                  Your so right about the run game making play-action pass so effective. But you also mention the draw; a play we haven't used that much. You could call it a play-action run. Since we can both pass and run effectively this year, we can keep defenses guessing by faking run or pass. Gotta love it!

                  Looks like Ninkovich may have dodged a bullet. Now if Talib and Dennard make good progress, I'm feelin' good about this defense; especially with our depth.

                  fdb

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Levine, David" <david-levine@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > - I don't normally watch random college bowl games but I watched some of the Outback Bowl between Michigan and S Carolina. What I did see was the refs royally screwing up a first down call when it was clearly short. They brought out the chains to measure on a 4th down conversion after a fake punt and ruled it a 1st down even though the ball was a few inches before the stick. I don't know how you miss something like this. It is an arbitrary placement of the ball in the first place but once you bring out the chains, they are pretty precise.
                  > - Why did Miami try that FG? You saw NE forgo the try because of the wind. The kick started wide right and ended up way left by the time it got there. I would have gone for it.

                • Levine, David
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013
                    The Good
                    - Both Minitron and Amendola had great games. Both guys were our offence. They both also avoided the huge hit, keeping them healthy.
                    - What a catch by Hooman. That was as good as it gets right there.
                    - Blount continues to be a nice surprise. He makes contact and then just keeps going.
                    - We came out a lot faster than usual. We were moving the ball but just couldn't sustain the drives all the time. Much better playing from ahead than not.
                    - McCourty isn't afraid to take anyone on and is usually in perfect position to make a textbook tackle.
                    - Devlin needs to see the ball a couple of times a game. He is a load at fullback and made a few really nice blocks to open up holes for the running back.
                    - At least Denver and Cincy lost as well so we are still in line for the 2 seed with a shot at 1.

                    The Bad
                    - The red zone offence is anemic. We just don't have any plays other than throw it to Gronk. Where were are big TEs? Surely we can get one of them open since no one is paying attention to them.
                    - Solder goes down and because everyone else on the OL is broken, we move Mankins out and stick another rookie on the inside. We are just decimated by injury.
                    - Why were both Hightower and Spikes on the field for the last TD? That was clearly a passing down and we had the run stuffers in. Neither can cover and both are slow.
                    - As good as Ghost has been all season, it sucks that he both missed a makeable FG and then shanked one out of bounds.
                    - Why have we gone away from Ridley. He has not fumbled given the opportunity and really makes some nice plays out there.
                    - We didn't do anything with Vereen all game. We never got the ball in his hands. He is a key guy and there is no reason we can't get him open from the backfield.
                    - We have not created any turnovers lately. That is how our D wins games for us but we can't get the O on a short field.
                    - We are going to have our hands full in the upcoming years. Tannahill is going to be a really good QB. He is almost there now.
                    - 3rd and long, we give up huge yardage to make it 4th and 5. We hold them to a shorter gain and we force a punt. 4th down we blitz and get the guy in space but can't make the tackle and they convert.
                    - Amendola needs to be about 2 inches taller and we score at the end of the game. Just wasn't strong enough to hold onto the ball when the defender hit it.

                    The Ugly
                    - Doink off the facemask? Classic.
                    - Can we please play a complete game. We came out well. Faltered in the 3rd quarter and finished strong. Let's put 4 quarters together and win a damn game without this heart attack.
                    - The Cowboys meltdown in the 2nd half. Huge lead that just evaporated on the arm of Romo and his interceptions.
                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013

                      Good analysis….as usual. I do appreciate it!!

                      It does seem to be a factor with us not playing the full game. To be near the first place spot and not playing complete games at times?

                      Imagine where we’d be if we did play complete all the time.

                      This season is strange on a lot of levels for sure.

                      The good teams have some bad games, the good teams play many teams with losing records, and it’s anyone’s game.

                      That Cowboys game was well beyond ugly…George is probably chucking at my annoyance…lol!

                      Also, add to ugly…Eli and his 5 interceptions. Man, this isn’t his year is it? Of course the Hags are going to win with that horrendous performance on the other side.

                      Well, go Pats for next game.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013
                        I'll add one more ugly for you, Dave. The Patriots pathetic Kick Return game MUST be fixed for next season! ST Coach Scott O'Brien was hired in Feb 2009.

                        Over the 5 seasons that he's had the job, the Patriots rankings in KR's have been: 2009 - 15th; 2010 - 18th; 2011 - 29th; 2012 - 25th; 2013 - 26th.

                        In the 5 seasons preceding O'Brien: 2004 - 9th; 2005 - 14th; 2006 - 1st; 2007 - 4th; 2008 - 3rd.

                        WHAT''S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE???

                        Week after week; KR after KR, we see our return guys come out of the end zone, and be almost immediately faced with about 5 or 6 opposing team defenders. There's no where to run! It's not the players returning the kicks. O'Brien's blocking schemes are, IMO, the problem.

                        Those numbers above speak for themselves. Take a look around the league. You'll see that Leon Washington has had great success with Tennessee since signing with them 2 weeks ago. Brandon Tate returns for the Bengals, and they're 4th in the NFL. Since O'Brien took over, the Patriots have used several guys (Edelman, Slater, Woodhead, McCourty) who have the speed and moves to get much better results than we've seen. But they all end up running into a damn wall of defenders well before they reach the 20 yard line.

                        IMO, 5 straight seasons of failure is enough. When the last 3 of them have seen the team wallow at 25th or below in Kick Returns, it's time for a change. I know that Belichick is famous for his loyalty to his coaches. O'Brien spent 5 seasons with him in Cleveland; and was STs Coach of the Year there in 1994. But, for whatever reason, he's clearly lost it. This team is woefully ineffective in blocking for kick returns. There's got to be a better STs coach out there; and Belichick should go find one this off season.

                        --- George
                        Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 9, 2014
                          Sorry, it's gotta be a quick one. I am buried with work.

                          The Good
                          - The first half looked good. The O was rolling. Mixing up the pass and the run.
                          - I have to say other than 1 play, Revis is as advertised. Nothing more he could do on the TD. Knock the ball down but it was still caught.
                          - Everyone came out healthy.
                          - I like the way our new TE moves. Long and lanky.
                          - Edelman continues to play well.
                          - We are getting turnovers. This will be an opportunistic D all year.

                          The Bad
                          - Whatever adjustments we made at halftime, we should never do that again. We went away from the short passes and stopped running the ball. The D looked a step slow and we stopped clogging the middle.
                          - Vince doesn't look completely healthy. Neither does Mayo. I hope it is just an early in the season thing.
                          - Special teams mistakes is something that will get you dropped from the team. We need a new long snapper. Don't care if Mesko could have caught it. The snap was too low.
                          - Everyone looked tired toward the end. Were we not ready for the heat?
                          - The OL needs time to gel. That was not a good performance.

                          The Ugly
                          - Ray Rice video. Is there anything that can top that?
                          - A distant second is seeing Antonio Brown kicking the kicker in the head when he "tried" to hurdle him. Looked deliberate to me.
                          - I am very tired, already, about the roughing the QB calls. How can a DE who is bigger than the QB get low enough to completely avoid head contact if he is suppose to keep his head up and not hit with the top of the helmet? May as well as rush on his knees.

                          Dave
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 9, 2014

                            Thanks Dave…don’t kill yourself with work!!

                            Good analysis…I was going to say that you were generous on the “good”, but I think that you have some good points.

                            If we can just tweak things along it most likely will gel soon.

                            Defense might be better than we’ve seen in recent years.

                            I also hope that we were caught off guard by the heat and the Fish in general.

                            YES…there IS something that can top the Ray Rice video.

                            It’s the fact that the woman married him right after that and stays with him and whines that the NFL is taking away his livelihood (sp?).

                            To that, I say what the…is it just about the moolah or is it something else we’re not finding out about?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 9, 2014

                              If all she stayed for is the money, they’ll be divorced (or headed to divorce court) by Christmas, because I doubt he’ll ever be back in the NFL

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 16, 2014
                                The GBU with a Razor's Edge twist...

                                The Good
                                - We don't lose the hat and shirt games. I like the fact that very few players were wearing them, indicating there is a different hat and shirt they want.
                                - We got our 3rd blocked kick this year, setting a franchise record. We almost had another one later. Collins is really playing well and has become a person you need to scheme for.
                                - Congrats to Ghost who passed Vin for the most points in franchise history. Both are fantastic kickers and hold a special place for all Pats fans. I can't believe Vin is still going strong. It seems like he left us so long ago. He is only 20 points behind the drunken kicker Vanderjagt for career leader and has played 3 more games for Indy. Almost wish Ghost waited so Vin could hold both records at once but I'm glad I go to see it in person. Ghost has plenty more left and should crush this record by the time he's done.
                                - BB is now tied with Lambeau for 5th most wins in football history with 229. Next up is Paul Brown at 230. It will be a while to get to Landry at number 3 with 270.
                                - Revis was targeted 5 times for 3 receptions for 23 yards. This guy just takes away everything on half the field. He is the most important player on the team after Brady.
                                - Crazy legs does it again. He runs for 17 on 3rd and long at a key time in the game and then tries to lower the boom on some poor DB. The second part didn't go so well but that was fun to watch and the crowd went wild. Almost any other QB does that and you don't get that type of reaction. It was his 3rd longest run in his career. He had a 22 yarder in 2006 and a 19 yarder in 2007 (I had to look it up). Surprised he didn't slide but taking the hit fired everyone up.
                                - Jonas Gray provided a spark to the offence after the half. He ran with more power and speed than Blount and seemed to hit the hole a lot faster. Blount has seemed tentative over the last 3 weeks. Nice to see Gray make the best of a limited opportunity. We need both in the playoffs.
                                - Edelman just keeps going and going and going. The first drive of the game was all #11. Other than the one bad drop on an easy ball (which didn't matter as we still scored), he did everything.
                                - Both Jones and Hightower returned and looked very good. Jones gives our pass rush a different dynamic and had 7 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Hightower has really become a good leader on the D and is moving well for a big guy. Both are playing at a very high level.
                                - The OL got back into the swing of things. TB12 was barely touched all game against a good pass rush. I don't remember hearing Wake's name called once.
                                - We are playing for something next week. With a win, we clinch a first round bye and a shot at home field advantage. No reason to overlook the Jets.
                                - The D is tackling well. There was a short pass on into the flat where a first down continues the drive. Ryan squared up, didn't let the receiver go anywhere and made the play. I am seeing that all over the field.
                                - We set a franchise record and scored 24 points in the third quarter. Considering we shut another team out after the half, we turned a close game into a blowout early.
                                - I have yet to be disappointed at the Razor's Edge Tailgate. The food was good, the friends were great, the weather was perfect. Ben and I had a fantastic time before and after the game. Everyone is always so inviting. Met some new people and had a lot of fun. I wish I were a little closer (and richer) so I could go to more than 1 a year but it gives us something to look forward to. Next year, with Ben in high school, I won't have to worry about Sunday games so I should be able to go to an early game when it's even warmer. I'll bring my wife next year as well.
                                - At halftime, they did a scratch card 2nd chance drawing. Guy had to pick one giant card out of 30 on the field. Smallest prize was $100K. 8 cards had $100K, 7 cards had $200K and so on. Guy went out, picked #12 in honor of Brady and opened up $1,000,000. Pretty exciting.
                                - So much fun to be in the stadium. We had good seats even if most of the action was at the other end of the field. It is always different to see the game in person and watch what you want to other than what is shown on TV. You can watch the DBs do their thing or focus on a single pass rusher. You can also see the whole play develop instead of focusing on the QB the whole time.

                                The Bad
                                - How the hell do you let a team score when you have the ball with 1 minute to go in the half. I understand going 3 and out but to not try is inexcusable. So we punt and allow a huge return immediately putting them in FG range. Now with 11 seconds and no time outs, there are 2 plays. An out or a home run ball. We single cover Wallace and give up the TD. We had consecutive screw ups. The worst is the punt return. If we stop them on the other side of mid field (10-15 yard return), they are throwing a hail Mary for a TD or something mid range to try and get 3. Instead we put them in FG range with the poor coverage and let them take a shot. We should have had everyone at the goal line and concede the 3 instead of the 7.
                                - Of the 3 penalties they called on Browner, only 1, in my opinion, was real. The first illegal contact/hold/PI was legit. He grabbed the WR's arm. If he didn't, it would have been a complete pass for longer than the penalty. The second PI was bogus. Both were hand fighting and there was nothing that inhibited the defender from catching the ball except good position and an overthrow. The personal foul was ridiculous. The WR was still fighting to go forward, Browner drove him back and tackled him. What do you want him to do? He played to the whistle, which was well after forward progress was stopped. The ref needed to blow the whistle earlier if he doesn't want that to happen. He is being targeted because he is aggressive and violent and has a reputation. He did get away with an early hit on the INT though. It was bang/bang but still probably a little early.
                                - With the Bills winning, we are going to have a fight on our hands the last week of the season. They will be playing for a playoff spot and we will be playing for home field advantage.
                                - Just when the line was getting back together and jelling for the playoffs, Connolly goes down with a neck injury. Hopefully is was one of those things where the score dictated that he not return. Arrington's injury is just as concerning as he has been playing well as the 3rd corner. He needs to get healthy for the playoffs but hammys can linger.
                                - Nice to see Bledsoe at the game but it would have been nice to announce him at some point. He would have received a warm welcome.

                                The Ugly
                                - I know the NFL has some random rules and I thought I knew them all. Here's one I just learned. If an ineligible player plays an eligible position, he must come off the field for 1 play prior to going back to an ineligible position. When we went with 6 linemen, Cannon came in at left tackle and Solder was announced as an eligible player (at TE). They ran this way for 3 or 4 consecutive plays. Then Solder came off the field for a play, Cannon stayed on as LT. Next play, Solder comes in as LT and Cannon is out. What a strange rule.
                                - I couldn't find my video game controller last night when watching the Eagles/Cowboys game. Was there any D involved at all?
                                - Listening to the radio as I drove home from the game I heard the funniest line about the Titans/Jets game. "We are into the bullpens in the top of the seventh with Tennessee leading 6 to 5. I am glad I didn't see any of this game. Heard about the brawl but have not seen the highlights yet so I will put it in the ugly column on reputation alone.
                                - With the win, the Jets drop from 2nd to 6th in draft order.

                                Dave