RE: This weekend's game Re: [patriotzip] Re: The Patriots are not playing this weekend

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
      I'm not only happy that the Patriots have a bye this week. I'm happy that Daylight Savings Time is ending. Ed can obviously use the extra hour of sleep!

      George

      From: George <patswingr@...>
      To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 12:29 AM

      We are very fortunate to get the bye week at this particular place in our schedule. A week to heal some bumps and bruises (and worse) in near mid-season is a definite plus over having a bye in Week 4 or 5. I have always felt the the "staggered" bye week policy is unfair, within a given season. The teams getting it later, closer to the playoffs, get a clear advantage, IMO, over those getting it early. (As an avid Fantasy Football player, I also hate this process for that reason. It really screws with your roster changes, requiring some careful moves to try to weave through the land mines of bye weeks for your best players.)

      I don't understand why the NFL doesn't feel that they could come up with some outstanding programming to fill a "common" bye week. This would be the one I'd suggest - the first weekend in November. It is, after all, the weekend when they compete with the World Series. (This old school baseball fan can't believe that there's no more "Mr October". Baseball in snow, and temperatures in the 40's or lower. Nice.)

      As for our team, the BB plan is always to do the "self analysis" for much of the bye week. There isn't time for a thorough review of our own play in the one week span between most games; although, of course, there is always review of the last game film, and teaching points to be gained from that. This week long review adds the ability to look for, and eliminate, negative tendencies or "tip offs"; as well as study the progress of players through the first 7 games. Who's getting better? Who's slipping back? Why? What did we do that worked well, and should, perhaps, be done more often? What have we been doing that rarely works, and should, perhaps, be dropped from the playbook?

      I fully expect the Patriots to come out of the bye week a much stronger team, in every way. BB is certainly famous for his ability to analyze and plan, when given extra time. This particular season, with Mayo now healthy, and Guyton and the amazing McGowan more experienced; I'll be very surprised if the Dolphins have much success with the Wildcat formation. I am a little concerned about Warren, since, as usual, we have no information on the status of the injury he suffered in London. But it does seem that A. Thomas has received a wake up call, and should be more of a factor on that side.)

      As for this week, I share your thoughts, Randy. The first game here (which now begins at 1 AM, rather than midnight, thanks to the ending of Daylight Savings Time) will be the media favorite - Farvings ... I mean, Vikings ... at Green Bay. But I'll try to watch the Dolphins - Jets game on my laptop, if my internet signal holds up. An upset by the Dolphins wouldn't shock me, and would be the preferred outcome. The other games that I'll be checking on the scoreboard are the 49ers - Colts (which has little hope for an upset, IMO), and the Broncos - Ravens, which is really tough to call. Could be a great game that I may switch to now on then on the internet.

      It should be a fun weekend of football, without the usual accompanying tension and soaring blood pressure of Patriots games! :-)

      George