Re: [patriotzip] RE: The game is actually Sunday night in London, the next 24 hours are for bedrest

  • Ed Bryant
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 24, 2009
      Credit where credit is due: Doctor George has called it, Tate over Nunn onto the roster.

      From: George <patswingr@...>
      Subject: RE: [patriotzip] Re: The next 24 hours...
      To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 9:38 AM

      I agree with you on all points, Randy. Branch would have been a great addition for us now. And there can be no doubt about the unpredictability of rookie WRs. (Or any rookie, for that matter.) On our team, it's probably even more so, since there's so much "read and react" in Brady's offense. Good route running, and good hands, are only half of the equation, if that.

      Now that Edelman is gone for at least a few weeks, that 3rd WR spot is more important than ever. Without a reasonable threat there, teams can constantly double Moss, and squeeze the short routes to limit Welker, as well as minimize space for RBs to spring big runs.

      One solution, for at least a couple of games, until a 3rd WR can emerge, might be more intermediate to long routes for Watson. We know he has the speed for it. What must be combined with that is some different formations and schemes to ensure protection for Brady. Perhaps more 2 RB sets, or Baker in an H-Back set, could do that. Another idea might be varying that 2 RB set by splitting Welker out wider, and putting Faulk or Maroney into the slot as a 3rd WR, with Bee Gee behind Brady.

      Whatever option they choose, they must create a credible threat of 3 receivers, two of which are in the intermediate to long range. Moss deep, and Welker short, with nothing else for a D to worry about, won't get it done. Maybe it will against the Bucs, and even Miami; but it certainly won't against the Colts, Jets, and Saints - the following 3 opponents!

      George

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 24, 2009
        Except that I would have brought both of them up, while Edelman is out with the broken arm. I think there's roster room, isn't there? We are down 2 WRs, with Galloway cut, and Edelman out for a few weeks.

        I'm not predicting HOF for Tate, Ed. I'm just hoping that he proves worthy of the high pick. We really do need some long-term talent at WR. Moss can't last forever, and Welker needs a deep threat on the team to make his short to intermediate "magic act" work consistently. I'm not a Tate fan yet. He's got to show me something in some NFL games before I jump on his bandwagon. But I'm pretty well convinced that he won't be a drop off from Galloway!

        WR is more of a crap shoot in the high rounds than any other position. Some of them are so dumb they don't know a post from a corner route, and have no idea how to do anything but run and catch the ball. Some of them are so wrapped up in ego that they spend more time posing for cameras than learning plays. And some of them just don't have the hands to catch passes thrown by NFL QBs. A lot of high pick QBs bust too, but WRs seem to be worse.

        George

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 25, 2009
          When we drafted Tate, I was willing to wait for him to replace Stallworth until 2010.

          If he can run like he could before the knee injury, or even close to it, he's a better approximation of what Stallworth did for us than Gaffney was, or Edelman, and Joey Galloway and Tom Brady never panned out at all.

          Yesterday, I watched the first half of the Monday Night Game in Foxboro, in which defending AFC Champions failed four times from the 1 against the defending Super Bowl Champions.  The Pats were 5-2 after starting out 4-0.  No one remembers the muffed kickoff by David Meggett, or Willie Clay and Lawyer Milloy converging ineffectually as Brett Fav-------------re threw the ball between them to Roman Polanski, check that, Mark Chmura, for the TD just before halftime.

          The signature of that game was throwing on second, third, and fourth downs from the 1, and not scoring.  The signatures of that season involved Kevin Henry, Slash Stewart, and no one remembers we played Pittsburgh the second time without Glenn, Martin, and Meggett, but Glenn and Martin and Meggett and Bledsoe all did good things we can remember.

          Poor Joey Galloway doesn't have  A Good Thing on his resume from his time as a Patriot, but on that Monday Night Football broadcast, they showed clips from the day before, when the Ancient Seahawk Warren Moon threw a touchdown pass to, yes, Joey Galloway.

          Galloway and Fav--------------------re may be out of the league now, but they were something in their day!

          What?  Minnesota?  Greg Lewis????   And we kept Galloway instead of Lewis?  Instead of Fav--------------re, OK, but Lewis???????????????????