The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Broncos)

  • Dave L
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 12, 2009
      The Good
      - I liked the fact that the cheerleaders dressed up in throwback garb as well. Brown skirts with brown tights wasn't all that attractive but the large, old school pompoms and the old hairdo's were key.
      - Welker really makes this offense tick. He is always in the right place and seems to be able to find those little holes. When he was injured in the 2nd quarter, I thought we were screwed. He was only out for 1 play though.
      - McGowan is a keeper. Again, he is in the middle of a fumble. He just makes plays.
      - Nice to see Mayo back on the field. He even contributed with a forced fumble.
      - Punting was nice today. We were finally able to down 1 inside the 5 yard line and dump at least one other inside the 20.
      - I really like Edelman on punt and kick returns. He runs hard, gets up to full speed quick and has the shiftiness to make someone miss.
      - The fake end around screen pass was beautifully executed. We should have tried it again.
      - Moss played the hail mary perfectly. He went up to get the ball at it's highest point and didn't try to run with it. Taking a knee was the right thing to do.

      The Bad
      - We easily left 16 points on the board. Brady misses moss in the EZ so we had to settle for a FG. The missed FG. The 15 yard penalty on Mankins cost us a FG opportunity. Brady misses Welker on the final drive which would have been a TD. Make any one of those plays and we win.
      - I am so tired about hearing about the wildcat offence. It's a gimmick for teams without a good QB. Calling it the wild horse O is even more pathetic.
      - For some reason Kyle Orton decided to play more like Drew Brees than Kyle Orton.
      - D really needed to step on in the end. They did twice in regulation coming up with a stop and then a turnover. They failed on their 3rd try. OT was pathetic.
      - My 3 keys for the 2nd half, which I always write down at halftime, were as follows. Pressure Orton, learn to tackle and continue doing what we are doing on O. None of the 3 were accomplished. We never got to Orton unless we blitzed late, we couldn't tackle for sh**, and our O went away from what was working. That is why we lost.
      - We still get no push on our short yardage runs. There is always someone in the backfield that the running back has to avoid. Nice to see Maroney convert one though.
      - Roughing the passer is getting out of hand. Every week we get hit with another one. Thomas has to make an attempt at avoiding contact after the ball is gone but the league has to do something about it.
      - When the ball is tipped up in the air on 3rd and long, the D should just knock it down. Batting up a second time allowed Marshall to make the catch, get a first down and eventually convert a FG. 3 more points Denver shouldn't have had.

      The Ugly
      - I know the throwback unis are cool and all but Denver looked atrocious. Mustard yellow and brown with striped leggings? Gaffney wore his twisted so it looked like a demented candy cane. Just aweful.
      - The taunting penalty on Merriwether was a bad call. The flag was thrown for pass interference which had to be waved off because the ball was tipped. Merriweather was excited and they call taunting? What about all the sack dances? Isn't that taunting as well?
      - If a football game is played between Cleveland and Buffalo and no one watches, did it really happen? 2 for 17 for 23 yards, no TDs, 1 INT and a 15.1 QB rating. Those are the numbers of Derek Anderson, the winning QB.
      - Why would McDaniel's challenge a 3 yard completion? That was his last challenge of the game and it was early in the 2nd quarter. I really wish that came back to bite him.

      Dave
    • Mike Benson
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 12, 2009
        One more bullet point for The Ugly:

        BB should never, ever wear a pompom on the sidelines again.

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:patriotzip-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:patriotzip-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 12, 2009
          Just one point, Dave. 3 Yards added to a long FG can be significant. Who knows, maybe, if we'd been 3 yards closer, Ghost would have made that FG. A little extra "push" in the leg. A little more space for the ball to drift. Etc. I doubt that McDaniels would have challenged if they were 10 yards closer when it happened.

          George

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 19, 2011
            The Good
            - The Patriots do not lose the hat and shirt games.
            - Hernandez stepped up with the absence of Branch and dominated. Real tough matchup as he is as fast as a WR with the size of a TE. Smaller but faster than Gronk.
            - Needing a first down on the final drive, Brady fades back to pass and surveys the field. Decides no one is open except, wait, I think I see something. It that the best TE in the league with no defender within 10 yards of the guy. 45 yards later, Gronk sews up the game for us.
            - Loved the way Ridley runs with the ball. He hit the hole hard and has nice power. Small enough to get lost in traffic but big enough to not go down on the first hit. He could be a keeper.
            - After letting Denver score on their 1st 3 drives, we settled down. We force 2 consecutive fumbles and then 3 consecutive punts before allowing them to score again, which ended up to be their last time. This doesn't include the turnover on the punt at the end of the half. By that time, we had scored 3 TDs and ad field goal to put the game away.
            - When Tebow scores at the start of the 4th quarter, every other team they played wilted. Brady calmly leads us on a 9 play, 80 yard TD drive that eats up 4 and a half minutes. That is how you kill Tibow Time.
            - Houston and Baltimore lose, putting us in the driver's seat for a first round bye. We now need to root for San Fran to take care of Pittsburgh for us tonight.
            - Though I hate Indy, it was nice to see them finally get a win. Orlovsky gets his first win, ever. Was previously on the winless Lions team.
            - Love how BB coaches to the end. Up a bundle with just over 2 minutes to go, facing a 4th and 17 play, BB calls time out to make sure his D is set. It works as we force the 28 yard sack. This also showed up in our later D as well. The stats show Tebow's completion percentage plummets when you send 5 guys instead of 4. Something like 55% with 4 down to 20% with 5. BB kept this up as well by sending extra guys on more than half his 4th Q plays.
            - I have not seen Brady that torqued up for a regular season game in a long time. The spike after the TD run was Gronk like. He almost got himself another one later too.
            - The Pats are 101-4 since 2001 when they win the turnover battle. That is how you win games.
            - Glad we signed Mayo to an extension. Next up is Wes who set a career best for yards with 1380.
            - Gronk needs a handful more to pass Coates for receiving yards for a Pats TE
            - Gotta give props to the OL. The Broncos have 2 very good pass rushers and they only got to #12 once.
            - Anderson really stepped up after Carter went down. A couple of sacks, a fumble and a forced fumble. Big game for him.
            - Nice to see 85 contribute with a big TD catch and many stellar downfield blocks. Was open a couple more times during the game but Brady went elsewhere.

            The Bad
            - The first quarter of the game, our D was gouged for 160 yards rushing. From then on out, our D played pretty well only giving up 80 more. This slow start thing has to stop as we cannot get behind like this in the playoffs.
            - Faulk is done. He needs to simply retire. Knowing how great he was for us for so long, it pains me to watch him play now. Love the guy and love his heart but the time has come.
            - Tebow may be a good QB in time but he needs to trust his WRs to get open. Many times the guy was open but it took Tibow so long to get the ball there, the defender was able to make up ground. You have to throw to where the guy is going, not where he is.
            - I hope Carter isn't hurt too bad. You could make a case that he was our best D player all year. We need his pass rush for the playoffs.
            - The Oakland FG blocking unit. I would have liked to see Janikowski get another shot at a 65 yarder. If anyone in the league can hit it, it would be this guy.
            - The hit Elvis put on Brady. That was a textbook sack. Good move to beat the lineman, lead with your shoulder, hit the QB in the chest and don't land fully on top of him when you drive him to the ground. Brady's response was classic. Said he's feeling the hit but he was taught early to be the 1st guy up, even faster than the guy who gets you.
            - Why didn't BB challenge the Hernandez non-TD? Isn't that what it's there for? Losing a timeout is nothing. Scoring plays are important and this one cost us 4 potential points.

            The Ugly
            - Did anyone have the over/under on the times the announcers said "Tim Tebow" instead of "Tibow" during the game? Since when is using the full name a requirement.
            - What the hell was the Denver coaching staff doing having a returner for the punt at the end of the quarter. They should have rushed 11 and had no one back as there was going to be no time left and no need to try and run a play. Instead, the bonehead returner not only doesn't call for the fair catch but tries to run with it. I'll take the free 3 points but, wow.
            - Is there anything better than watching the Jets get pounded by a mediocre Philly team. What a wonderful sight.
            - Does anyone want to win the NFC East? Giants lose to Washington, the Boys can only beat terrible teams sometimes and Philly is somehow still alive.
            - How does the best team in football lose to KC? Oh, RAC was the coach. Looks like he passed the audition to be the perminant guy next year.
            - 4th and 18 and you take a 27 yard sack? Just fall down or throw the ball up for grabs. That was a little ridiculous. The series went down as a 6 play drive that covered 15 yards, even though there were plays for 15 and 30 yards in there.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 19, 2011
              Good recap, Dave!
              Loved that Brady turned the Tebow lovefest into determination for the game...BRAVO!! We saw him rattled in the playoff game against the Jets and I was hoping that wouldn't happen again.

              I agree about hating the Nags, but I'm glad that they did go ahead and win one. Also, KC can be a dangerous team whey they learn you have to play FOUR quarters in every game.

              OH year....San Fran helped us out today!!

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                The Good
                - I thought Mark Anderson played a hell of a game. He made life miserable for Tebow and the runners. He was in the backfield all night long and made play after play, even if he didn't get credit for the tackle.
                - When Deaderick was in the game, I think he was held on almost every play. There were plays where he beat his guy and then was held without a call. He was a beast inside.
                - Could #50 play any better? Ninkovich was everywhere. Loved the play on the 3rd down option where he was the point man. With Tebow running right at him, instead of attacking the ball, he bailed and covered the pitch man. Tebow was forced to cut up inside where McCourty and another DB were waiting to make the stop. If Nincovich attacks Tebow, Tim will pitch it to McGahee and he turns the corner for a first down and possibly more. Just a heads up play from a heady player.
                - Don't know about you but our OL was stellar. I don't remember Tommy ever getting hit, except for the TD pass to Gronk.
                - Our punters were incredible. Mesko blasts a 50 yarder that rolls out at the 5 getting us great field position early in the 2nd quarter. Brady nails a 49 yarder that stops at the 10 on 3rd down. Great call. Loved the expression on Brady's face after that. Just had that "didn't expect that one, did you" look when talking with a Bronco after the play. That even made BB smile.
                - Loved the Ellis hustle sack. Came in clean and couldn't bring down Tebow, who started to scramble the other way. Ellis got up, ran across the field and leveled the QB from behind for the sack. Nice to see that not only was it a hard hit, but clean, leading with his shoulder, keeping his head up and not driving him to the ground.
                - The entire D deserves praise. They were great all game with the pressure, the sacks, containing the option, good coverage, strong tackling.
                - Is there another team in the league that can sport 3 pass catchers like we have? Between Welker, Gronk and Hernandez, who do you double?
                - Oh yeah, Tommy B doesn't care who you double because he'll just throw it to Branch for a TD.
                - Loved the killer instinct and that we didn't let up until late in the game. Love the 2 series before the half. We score with less than 2 minutes to go to go up big. Denver trys to run out the clock but we call timeout, forcing a punt with 50 seconds to go. Brady then calmly marches down the field and gets a TD pass with 10 seconds left. That is how you put a team away.
                - Other than Hernandez, we came out healthy. Mankins got a nice rest in the 2nd half and I don't think anyone really got hurt in the game.

                The Bad
                - Saw that Hernandez didn't play after that goal line run. Hope it was just precautionary as the game was out of hand and he isn't hurt. Haven't heard anything about it yet.
                - Chung is playing a little reckless looking for the big hit. The late hit was something that could have cost us in other games. I love his aggressiveness but he has to remain in control.
                - The INT by Brady was one of the worst passes he has ever thrown. That was just plain bad. Good thing he made up for it later.
                - Love that Ridley runs hard and makes the right play but he has to hold onto the ball if he wants to continue to get playing time.

                The Ugly
                - Talk about a team forgetting to show up. Green Bay didn't play well the entire game. What a waste after a great season.
                Jacksonville hires Atlanta's awful OC as their head coach and then Atlanta hires Jacksonville's awful OC to replace him. 2 offensively inept teams trading coaches
                - Is it me or does Tom Caughlin always look confused. Good play, confused. Bad play, confused. Interview, confused.
                - An offensive shoot-out between SF and NO was won by Alex Smith? Never in my life would I have ever considered uttering those words.
              • Levine, David
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 8, 2012
                  The Good
                  - Our running game continues to impress. Over 200 yards for a second straight game and pretty much ran at will all day. All our guys are running hard.
                  - The OL was great. Not only did they open up giant holes for the RBs, they kept Brady clean. I thought 3 of the 4 sacks they gave up were on Tom for not throwing the ball away. He had time, just waited too long.
                  - Ninkovitch was left out last week but makes the list today. Monster game. 2 forced fumbles and a sack is good but there was constant pressure opposite Jones.
                  - I know we play no huddle (call a play at the line, survey and snap) as well as hurry up (get to the line, quick call and snap). Never have I ever seen frantic. Holy cow. We just kept running play after play, never letting off the gas and it worked. I don't remember more than once where we really screwed up the call (goal line loss of 3 being the exception).
                  - Even with the frantic play calling, we still held the ball for almost 36 minutes. We also accumulated 35 first downs, on 89 plays. Holy crap.
                  - Our 3rd down conversion rate of 11 for 17 isn't all bad.
                  - Loved the fact that we were so confident in our run game that we didn't need to challenge the Lloyd catch to see if he got into the EZ or was he down at the 1. Just went hurry up and Vereen punched it in.
                  - Though he was beaten on the play, Moore made a nice play to punch the ball out, recover it, and turn it back up field. Great block on Thomas at the end of the run too.
                  - Brady was damn good. He controlled the game pace and got everyone lined up and communicated the play. Love that he has confidence to not check out of runs.
                  - McDaniels called a great game. Listened to Boomer on the radio this morning and talked about his last years in Cincy with Cory Dillon. Ran the hurry up and got the call from the bench most of the time. Said half the time he was so in sync with the O coordinator that he knew the play before it came in. Said the same was happening with Brady on a higher level. Confidence in the run will open the playbook to many more plays. A versatile back means you can run, keep him in to block, or split him wide for a pass.
                  - Our D held Manning to only 21 points and created 3 turnovers. Yes, we gave up some yards at the end and some points but Denver was in desperation mode at that point.
                  - Faulk is going to announce his retirement on Tuesday. Nice to see a great player go out without forcing 1 more year. Didn't want to play for anyone but the Pats and but we had no room for him. Was a FA so we didn't release him either. 3 time SB champ.
                  - Nice to see Dennard get some minutes. He even made a play or 2.
                  -

                  The Bad
                  - The execution of the 4th and 5. I don't mind going for it from that part of the field but if you had made the decision earlier in the down sequence, we could have run better plays. I would have run on 3rd down. Assume a modest gain of 2 or 3. That would leave us with 4th and 2 or 3 with the clock moving. Denver takes their 2nd time out. We then have the option to A) run, B) pass short, C) pass long or D) try to draw them offside, take the delay and punt. Don't like the pass on 3rd down. Brady takes a coverage sack leaving 4th and 6. Still don't mind going for it but we needed a quick play against an all out blitz, not what we did.
                  - McCourty did not turn in the EZ and took another PI. His coverage was good, he just needed to look. On the TD he gave up, there was nothing he could have done. Just a spectacular throw and catch. His run support was excellent as well. Just needs to turn to the ball. Maybe make him a safety again. He can keep the play in front of him. He has great closing speed. He hits well. He is a fearless tackler. Perfect position for him.
                  - Ridley fumbles on the last drive. What a great day ruined by one play. He was hard on himself too. No one wanted the D to come up with a stop more than he did.
                  - McGahee screwed his team. Drops a sure 4th down conversion and then fumbles on the final drive when they are in field goal range
                  - I understand why we rushed the play on 3rd and 1 before the half. By keeping our time out, we could either run or pass. Just didn't like the execution of the play.
                  - Fells dropped an easy 1st down.

                  The Ugly
                  - Did Vince carry the ball out of play after the fumble recovery because it was out of air. When he dove on the ball, I felt the ground shake all the way up in Maine. Second, why is there even a scramble for the ball when Vince grabs it. Does anyone really think they could get it away from him? Anyone?
                  - Wednesday night is cricket night in America. -Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock.
                  - Let's see. 3rd and 17 on our own 43. We need a play. I know. Left side run to Woodhead out of shotgun. Guaranteed to work. How did we convert that?
                  - When Denver got flagged for too many men on the field and that number was 14, shouldn't it have been a 10 yard penalty instead of 5?
                  - Wes was huge again. Loved his little jab at BB, which in all actuality was a jab at the media. I can't believe the stink this is making.
                  - Could someone send a note to RG3 and remind him to run OOB? Learn how to slide, dummy.
                  - Did anyone see the hit on Luck? It looked completely clean to me. Don't get it.
                  - Brady's stats. 4 rushes, -2 yards, 1 TD. He almost cost the team 250 yards.

                  Dave
                • Levine, David
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2013
                    Sorry for the delay. I took a nice vacation and never got around to writing this up. Enjoy.

                    The Good
                    - What a football game. We were absolutely brilliant in the second half and turned a laugher into a classic game.
                    - We never panicked. I, like most of you, probably thought this was a loss. After going down 17-0, I proclaimed we were all done. Never thought to turn off the game at the half down 24 and vowed to watch through it. Great drive to open the 2nd quarter. Screamed to get the fumble that bounced off of everyone. Officially thought we had a chance after Bolden ran it in. Knew we were going to take the lead after the Gronk TD. Thought we would roll after the Edelman TD. Dialed it back after the FG. Still had confidence after Denver tied it.
                    - I actually like the decision to take the wind in OT. It was so strong, it was a 15 yard swing in the kicking game. Kickoffs would go through the end zone as opposed to landing at the 10 and returning it to the 30. Field goals were the big factor. Into the wind meant you needed the 20 to even attempt a try instead of the 35 with the wind. Plus, passing with the wind was a lot easier and you could actually go downfield. Think of it as a 12th defender.
                    - I liked the play of Fletcher and Collins. Both added a lot of speed to the D and really helped with the pass coverage in the second half. Collins, in particular, made a spectacular play on Welker forcing him to drop the ball.
                    - Allen was terrific punting the ball. Into the wind, he kept it low and line-drived it. The snap where it sailed 3 feet to the right was a nice play to catch it, set himself, and get us out of trouble. Holding the snaps for Ghost was just as good. That was not an easy task.
                    - Love Brady's trip to Gronk land after the TD. He looked possessed. Anyone doubt his desire to win an never quit?
                    - Gronk's post up for the TD was textbook. How do you stop that play?
                    - Vereen really opens up our offence. He is so shifty out of the backfield and is a tough matchup for any linebacker. I understand letting Woodhead go when seeing him play.
                    - There is so much to mention in the good category for the second half but credit has to be given to the D for holding the line against such a tough team All game, they only gave up 2 scoring drives. The first score was on the offence and the next 2 drives were on short fields (holding once for a FG). The drive just before the half was the only bad drive until giving up a score in the 4th quarter. Yes, we gave up a ton on the ground but Manning did not beat us.

                    The Bad
                    - 3rd and 20 leads to another 1st down. There are only 2 plays Denver would call. Either a screen or a draw. The screen went for almost 30 and we are still on D. We need to fix this part of the D.
                    - Our run D is terrible. I understand that it's the game plan but we need to do something better with our front 4 guys.
                    - I couldn't hear what the crowd response to Welker was at the beginning. I know they were cheering when he botched the punt return in OT through.
                    - I hope Ridley cures his fumbling because we will need him in the playoffs. We can get by Houston and Cleveland without him but not Cincy or KC.
                    - Spikes and Hightower can't help in the passing game. They are both way too slow and a liability on the field.
                    - We need to hold onto the ball. We win because we own the turnover differential. We are giving the ball away too much and putting the D in a bind and killing offensive drives. This needs to be corrected.

                    The Ugly
                    - I don't know what the hell the first 3 series were. 3 fumbles on 6 plays? Wow.
                    - No clocks were working in the first half. It only happens on the national stage.
                    - They showed a quick snippet of Brady and Manning on SNL. Got to say that Manning is very good. Brady was stiff. Love the youth football game skit.
                    - Can someone please tell Del Rio that his hat was inside out? He came out that way in the 2nd half as well.
                    - On that note, what is with the hat on top of the hoodie look? That is just not right.
                    - Refs were very questionable. They called PI on Edelman for a pick that wasn't half as bad as what Denver does every play. They then called hands to the face on Denver that was so minor that I couldn't see it in the replay. They missed a hold on Talib late in the 4th Q as well.
                    - D. Rodgers-Cromartie hurts himself at the end of the half on a Hail Mary and doesn't play. There was no need to dive for the INT other than showing off. Serves him right.
                    - On that note, the wind was so bad, Brady couldn't reach the end zone from the 50. He only threw it 40 yards. It looked like it stopped midway and just fell.

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2013

                      Hey Dave,

                      Good analysis….but under “Good” you better revise your first sentence.

                      It should read: What a football game. We were absolutely brilliant in the second half because we cheated like madmen (tied their staff up and stole the secrets at halftime, no less).

                      We couldn’t have won it or this one any other way.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 20, 2014
                        The Good
                        • What a year for an undermanned team.  Losing Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo and Spikes gutted our D.  Losing Gronk, Seabass and Hernandez gutted the O (don’t count Welker, Woodhead or Lloyd as we were not counting on them after not resigning them).  BB really coached up these youngins.
                        • The rookies played valuable minutes all year which is good for next season.  Jones, Vellano and Siliga on the DL.  Collins at LB.  All the DBs.
                        • I would much rather lose in this round than the Super Bowl for sanities sake.  I am far more invested in the Super Bowl as that is the final game.  At least this round we would have yet another game to play.  I am not really upset about this loss as I thought we were playing with house money since the middle of December.
                        • Edelman is a keeper.  He is so shifty with the ball and can continually make players miss.  We need to resign him.

                        The Bad
                        • Our OL couldn’t keep 12 clean.  We needed to make a play and the line lets through a clean rusher.  3rd down rushes were getting to us without a blitz.
                        • No pressure on Manning at all.  We didn’t hit him at all and very rarely did we actually force a bad throw.
                        • Brady missed 2 long passes.  Both would have resulted in points.  The first was a TD to Edelman who was well behind the D.  The other would have put us in FG range at the end of the half.  Would have been big points.  This was not his best game.
                        • I hate losing to Manning but I didn’t have much hope with the beaten up team we traveled with.
                        • We need to find a cover corner in the draft.

                        The Ugly
                        • I still like Welker but how was that low hit on Talib not a penalty?  It should have been PI as the ball was in the air and going low on a player like that is just a cheap shot.  That injury changed the game completely.  Losing our best cover corner when we played nickel all day killed us.  After that, we had no chance of coming back.  BB thought the same thing.
                        • Yes, Richard Sherman is the best CB in the league.  There is no way anyone should ever interview that tool again.  He is just a complete and utter moron who talks too much.  If it wouldn’t mean the Broncos winning the Super Bowl, I would love to see Manning torch his ass.
                        • Watched the game at a friend’s house who is a big time Steelers fan.  He hates the Pats and thinks Brady is a pansy.  He consistently brings up the fact that we have not won the Super Bowl since we stopped cheating.  When I mention that we at least are still playing, his comeback is to say that’s great but the Steelers have a better draft pick.  No way to argue with him.  Anyone have suggestions?  Mentioned the most post season wins by a QB, most yards by a QB, most wins in the last 15 years, coach with 2nd most post season wins.  Nothing matters as the Steelers have more overall titles.  I am running out of ideas.

                        David Levine
                        Process Engineer
                        Rapid Assay Solutions
                        IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
                        One IDEXX Drive
                        Westbrook, ME 04092
                        207-556-8893
                        207-632-4097 (cell)
                        207-556-8665 (fax)

                      • frankdanabrewster
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 20, 2014
                          Great stuff as always, David. I think Blount is a keeper, too. The young kids got a lot of valuable playing time, due to all the injuries. Bodes well for this team next year. If we stay relatively healthy, there is no reason for us not to be in the thick of it yet again.

                          There was also a bad pass to either Edelman or Amendola in the EZ. Had his man beat, and it sailed 6 feet over his head. Moss couldn't even have caught it.

                          I thought our pass rush was improving near the end of the year. They definitely took the day off.

                          As far as the Steelers fan is concerned, you can only argue the Brady/Belichick era. Face it. Before that, there wasn't much to cheer about. Since TB and BB there is no contest - regular season record, head to head record, playoff appearances, playoff record, super bowl appearances, super bowl wins, point differential, Brady vs R'berger (pick a stat). I don't think Pittsburgh wins any of those comparisons. If you're talking about the 70', that's a different story...  ;o)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 20, 2014
                            My greatest disappointments with the Patriots in this game was the nearly total failure of our DL and OL.

                            DL never got close enough to Manning to spit on him, let alone touch him; and that, even more than the loss of Talib, was the key to the success of the Broncos.

                            Meanwhile, the OL rarely gave Brady time to set up; and NEVER moved the Broncos DL in the running game. If NFL players are supposed to be so "very close" in talent; how can the Patriots OL open holes the size of an expressway vs. Buffalo and Indianapolis; and leave nothing but a brick wall for Blount to run into vs. Denver? The OL was the key to the failure of the Patriots offense.

                            Both the OL and the DL go all the way down into the "Ugly" category for me in this game. It was lost in the trenches.

                            --- George
                            Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 21, 2014

                              I agree with all of your assessments too!

                              Thanks for the columns and I guess this is it, huh?

                              Unless you’d want to do a Super Bowl column…if no one minds?

                              I’m high on Blount as well!

                              Hope Amendola can stay healthy too. And we’ll get Gronk back.

                              That’s harsh to keep hearing Steelers’ stats shoved in your face. As Frank said too, the Bradshaw Steelers are in a category on their own.

                              Chuck Noll has 4 rings as head coach, BUT BB has 5 in all and another Pats coach has 6 overall.

                              I do think that everything since 2000 screams of Pats’ dominance and that’s not subjective.

                              Overall titles in there, conference games, Brady’s records, and so on, but when someone wants to cut your team down no matter what you say is good enough.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 4, 2014
                                The Good
                                - Edelman now holds the record for most punt returns for a TD in franchise history with 4. What a game for Minitron. TD receiving on a perfect throw, TD returning. Could have had another one that he couldn't quite control.
                                - Gronk makes a ridiculous catch at the 1 and then goes in easily the next play. He is almost unstoppable at times. He is now the second fastest player to 50 TD in NFL history behind some guy I've never heard of. Jerry Rice? Who the hell is he?
                                - Brady was on target all day. His throws into and against the wind were no different. He still has the arm strength to get it to anyone, anywhere. Brady has now the 5th most passing yards going past John Elway. No better team to do it against.
                                - Our entire D gets the A grade. Denver couldn't get a run game going and then was forced to pass. We gave up a ton of yards but created the turnovers needed to slow Denver. Stopped them on all 3rd down conversions in the first half (except for a Browner penalty) and 3 for 11 in the game. Denver was also 0 fer on 4th downs.
                                - The O woke up in the red zone. We were 4 for 5 in the red zone and 4 for 4 in goal to go scoring. We can't waste chances against good teams like Denver and the 4 we have coming up.
                                - This might be the best website I have ever seen. The hoodie tracker. Awesome. http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1d8CFhIYAA_sdZ.jpg
                                - BB completely fooled Manning by calling the zone blitz and dropping Ninkovich into coverage. The best quote I heard? "To be fair to Manning, Ninkovich was wide open."
                                - Casillas played great on special teams. He just got here and is making his presence felt. BB loves his ST play.
                                - Ayers has been here a week and almost went wire to wire at DE. Different game plan to go lighter in the box and get some additional pressure on Manning. He still played the run well and the 4th down sack was great effort on a 3 man rush.
                                - I would have loved to see the entire ceremony at half time but at least CBS showed a little of it. Too bad everyone couldn't have made it. I would have loved to see Vin show up if he were on a bye week. Also missed Vrabel, one of my all time favorites.

                                - This was as complete a game we have played. We started out well, dominated the 2nd quarter to really make a statement, came out strong after halftime and didn't let up until the end of the game.

                                The Bad
                                - Brady was asked this morning what play made him the most angry and he picked the overthrow to LaFell. Said he should have had it and didn't have to make the perfect throw as he was very open. It was a tough throw considering the wind but that could have been an early message to Denver if we hit it. Turns out it doesn't matter.
                                - The throw to Amendola was high and behind him but it still should have been caught. Bad pick turned into points.
                                - The Denver kicker is done. For a team that loaded up for Manning, how do you forget special teams. The punter bobbles a snap, the kicker doinks one off the upright, the coverage team gives up a TD, the return team can't get past the 15. It takes 3 phases.
                                - I used to defend Phil Simms as I thought he was never as bad as everyone said. I now am here to say that he is terrible. He adds nothing to the broadcast and for someone who played in the NFL and should know what is going on, he really seems lost at times. Time to move on to someone who can actually analyze. There has to be someone out there who needs a shot. Other networks have them (Gruden is excellent, Boomer Esiason is probably my favorite).
                                - LaFell had a couple of drops this week that need to be corrected. Vereen had one too.
                                - Why was Denver calling timeouts at the end just to run the ball when they got it back. Did they really think we were going to give up 3 TDs in a couple of minutes with the way we were playing?
                                - My trip to the Detroit game has been cancelled. Ben's end of year banquet is that day. My first shot was the Chicago game but that was scrapped for his Championship game. I am now targeting the Dolphins game in the middle of December. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

                                The Ugly
                                - It's time to go to fulltime refs. How was there no penalty for illegal man downfield after the dropped snap on the punt. It would have been declined anyway but that was one of the most obvious calls in the game but was missed. There were 2 holds on the Hillman TD (Chung and McCourty) but neither were called. At least they got the reviews right on the Edelman non-TD (ball was moving) and the Gronk call at the 1 (he was in contact with a defender when he had possession of the ball) and the Hillman(?) dive to the pylon (he was clearly in).
                                - Romo has 2 bones in his back that are broken and they will probably play him next week in London vs. the Jags. With a bye week after that and the fact they are playing the Jags, why risk it? It's the Jags.
                                - I can't stand the Steelers as I have a friend who is obsessed and constantly talks as if they are the greatest team the world has ever seen and the Pats are terrible and haven't won anything since we stopped cheating. I hate that Roethlesshamburger has had the 2 weeks he did which moved him to the top of the QB standings. I also had that Antonio Brown has moved to the top of the WR standings. He calls both the best in the league at their positions. (My votes would go to Andrew Luck for QB right now (followed by Brady, Manning and Rodgers) and Megatron for WR if he weren't hurt followed by AJ Green and D Thomas).

                                Dave
                              • dres74
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 4, 2014
                                  I don't agree on the Amendola pass. Pass was tipped enough to change it's direction and casing it to just sail over his head. His height was the issue. He barely was able to get his fingertips on it. Not his fault, not Brady's either. Nothing you could do...

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  > On Nov 4, 2014, at 11:48 AM, "'Levine, David' david-levine@... [patriotzip]" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Amendola
                                • Geoff Talvola
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 4, 2014
                                    On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Levine, David via patriots <patriots@...> wrote:

                                    > - It's time to go to fulltime refs.  How was there no penalty for illegal man downfield after the dropped snap on the punt.  It would have been declined anyway but that was one of the most obvious calls in the game but was missed.

                                    Actually they did call that penalty - I saw it in the stadium - but it was a very late flag and obviously the Pats declined it. Probably it happened during the commercial and wasn't shown or mentioned on TV. The official game log at nfl.com says:

                                    (8:33) (Punt formation) 4-B.Colquitt FUMBLES (Aborted) at DEN 19, and recovers at DEN 19. 4-B.Colquitt punts 53 yards to NE 16. 11-J.Edelman for 84 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Penalty on DEN, Ineligible Downfield Kick, declined. NE 11-Edelman 4th career punt return TD, new franchise record.

                                    - Geoff
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 4, 2014

                                      Good analysis as usual!

                                      On this game, there’s not much on the bad or ugly side, huh?

                                      I assume you’re just  “a funnin’ us” when you mention Jerry Rice???

                                      Hope you end up getting a game to go to.

                                      Also, I am loathe to see big Roth getting some good stats.

                                      Was hoping he’d disappear or implode like Eli…

                                      Honestly, WHEN will people stop yapping about that camera incident?

                                      Sometimes that’s ALL you hear from both the press articles and other people you run into like your friend.

                                      Are we just fooling ourselves when we downplay it? ARE those 3 SBs solely the reason for the wins?

                                      So no camera angles, NO SBS for any of those? I doubt it, so just wanted to throw that out yet again.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 5, 2014
                                        Thats correct.  Amendola was going for the catch but a DL tipped it just out of reach.  He gets a pass on that one.

                                        Brewgnat

                                        Sent from my iPad