My Playbook

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2009
      Clear Day

      Here are some things I'd like to see from the Patriots against the Ravens:

      1. Get outside and/or over the pressure. Plays that I think would be effective in this game are: quick slants to Moss, Watson, and Welker (or Edelman)off of a 3-step drop; quick pitchouts to the weak side of the Ravens D when they overload; lobs to a RB over Ravens coming from an overloaded formation; checking out to running plays to the opposite side of those overload blitzes.

      2. Continue with a good mix of 'T' sets that include both runs and passes from that formation. Include some "quick hitters", right up the gut, from the T. Seems to me that most of the Patriots running plays are relatively slow to get going. Defenses always seem to have time to react well before our RBs hit the target hole. Hitting 'em quick a few times will slow down the penetration that so often kills our runs.

      3. Defensively, we have to stop the run, and make Flacco beat us. Bodden and Springs have both looked good in coverage. Try more man coverage, at least early in the game, and play 8 in the box to shut down McGahee and Rice. That also gives us a better option for pressure, when Flacco drops back.

      4. Although the 8 in the box is there to stop the run, the first check for either the SS or Thomas from his LB spot has to be Todd Heap. Do NOT let him slip behind them.