Re: [patriotzip] Reiss's supposition on Welker

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
      alaric02@... ("RandyZ. Pierce") writes:

      > What made it different enough they could have him go then but not
      > before or afterwards.

      Maybe the week one action aggravated something in the joint?

      --
      Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
        Clearly the week one action had to aggravate something.  They obviously knew there was some risk based on his pre-season injury status.  It was well enough they made the attempt and then obviously unwell enough he has now missed two games.  I think with that much awareness the possibility is that they have a handle on the injury and thought it was healed enough to give him a go ahead for week 1.  If it re-aggravated then either they are awaiting the swelling to reduce enough to surgically attend it or they still think surgery is unnecessary and he is in fact a game time decision.  He travelled with the team to New York which could be gamesmanship on the part of Bellichick or it could validate he really is fairly close to play levels.

        The nature of evaluating it as ready to go in week 1 and the lack of any notable incident in the game suggests to me it's probably still very possible for him to get healthy in the short term.

        Time will tell but the release of Greg Lewis suggests they had good reason for confidence in his status going into week 1.

        (Lewis catching the game winner for the Vikes did sting a bit)
      • frankdanabrewster
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
          If it's something more like a sprained MCL, he could be fine in another week or two. Time will tell.

          fdb

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
            I suspect that many of us have had the same unspoken concern. I know that I
            have.

            The only bright spot is that we have Edelman to step in. He has shown the
            same quickness, and YAC ability and desire, that we get from Welker. It's
            reasonable to assume that his knowledge of the playbook, and timing with
            Brady, will improve with more time on the field. The one thing that isn't a
            guarantee is that his hands will improve; but we can hope for it. He's a
            long way from fully replacing Welker; but, with the improvements noted, he
            can significantly lessen the impact of the change.

            It would also help, of course, if he had another outside WR to take some
            pressure off of him. Say Sam Nunn for now, and Brandon Tate after Week 6?
            And, yes, continuing improvement in Brady's accuracy; which I think we all
            believe will happen.

            George