97 Carrol Pats

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2009
      I don't think Carrol's Pats were an illusion in 1997.  That defense was fantastic the 7-6 loss to the Steelers in the Divisional Round was a great Kordell Stewart run aided by three rather ugly missed holding calls - the worst a player clearing Otis Smith entirely out of bounds from behind so that when Todd Collins took a hesitation step to cover the inside he was surprised to find Otis cleared (illgeally) and thus a lane for Stewart just out of his reach.  I watched that play more than twenty times in slow motion so that the VCR tape is damaged to this day.

      Some might recall the Pats were trying to drive for the go ahead score when some young defensive end for the Steelers got behind Bledsoe and forced a strip sack fumble.  That young guy would later join the Patriots and wear the number 50 until this off-season when we traded him to Kansas City.

      The offense was a little bit of a paper tiger because some guy named Bellichick showed the league that if you blitz Bledsoe up the middle he can't handle the pressure and can't move.  Bledsoe was never the same after playing against Bellichick in fact.

      In 1998 the team still had plenty of promise but when both Bledsoe and Curtis Martin were out for the final run it had a pretty significant detriment to the team which is why Jacksonvilled took us in the playoffs.  Zolack and no Martin is a rather significant injury for any team.  By 1999 the Bobby Grier factor had hit full stride of course and the Pats were an average team who had lost depth and toughness through the three previous years of awful GM work.