What's Not To Like?

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2009
      Clear Day

      That was a very impressive 1st half for the first pre-season game. Hell, that was a very impressive first half for any point in the season!

      Clearly, the stars on offense were Brady and Edelman. The OL also gets plaudits for solid protection.

      I guess there is one thing not to like. Maroney looks no different to me than he has since we drafted him.

      The defense was tough when they had to be, and definitely showed more pass rush than we saw last season.

      Wilhite looked pretty good on the corner. Burgess appears to still have something left.

      Very encouraging.

      Now, let's see how the backups look.

      George

    • Don Diamant
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2009

        Rushing defense still looks weak.  But it’s preseason, we’ve still got a lot to learn about this team.

        Don

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
          It was indeed a good initial test for the team  It did reveal a few things good and bad.  The rushing offense and rushing defense were both weaker than I'd prefer by a long shot (with the main units) and special teams still looks fairly unsettled to me.

          I thought Brady did develop more comfort as his time continued though his  interception was very underthrown and his sideline antics after suggest more frustration than I'd prefer from him.  He and Galloway clearly need a bit more work in getting synchronized.

          Mayo clearly looks ready to play and there was a lot of heart from the youngsters - for a first exhibition...a good start indeed.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
            The running attack looked better in the 2nd half, with Morris and Bee Gee running the ball. But, to be fair to Maroney, that's not apples to apples; since they were running against the Eagles second unit. Still, as I said earlier, I saw nothing new and exciting from the way Maroney approached the LOS. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they traded him for that R5 pick we need, and went with Taylor, Morris, Faulk, and Bee Gee. And I mean that.

            George

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009

              But it’s just one preseason game.  Maroney looked healthy and did hit the holes.  I wouldn’t call him done over this one game.  It wasn’t a great performance but it wasn’t bad either.

              Don

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
                Re: [patriotzip] What's Not To Like? With a few weeks to work on timing, Brady’s long sideline pick and Moss’s long sideline drop/PI call are both long completions I think.  Especially if some guy named Baker is splitting the coverage and giving them fits, and Mr. Welker, his apparent mentor, is in the mix.

                I liked the passing game, and share the concerns expressed about Maroney.  I’m not convinced he’s back after his injury, but let’s wait and see.

                “Law Firm” needs to step up big and prove last year was no fluke.

                  Baze
                --
                Steve Basile
                Manager

                From: Don Diamant <jeepndd@...>
                Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:37:17 -0400
                To: "patriotzip@yahoogroups.com" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
                  Agreed on Brady-Moss, Steve. I think they are, once again, going to be giving DCs nightmares, and opening things up for Welker underneath, and Galloway on the opposite side.

                  Baker looked good, but he's strictly a short yardage TE. The deep middle pass to a TE is a fantastic weapon. I see major competition for that element of the game among "Hands of Stone" Watson, Alex Smith, and David Thomas. I'm giving Thomas the edge, based upon his work at FB. I still love the threat that Watson presents. If only he could beat the dropsies, he really could be one of the best TEs in the game; especially with Brady throwing to him!

                  I know it's only one pre-season game; but, Man, I LOVE what I saw from Edelman! Imagine how much better Welker can be if he has a near clone to give him more relief during games! Edelman sure looked like he can fill that role.

                  George

                  From: Don Diamant <jeepndd@metrocast. net>
                  Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:37:17 -0400
                  To: "patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com" <patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
                    Re: [patriotzip] What's Not To Like? Agreed George.  I MEANT to say:

                    “Especially if some guy named Baker is splitting the coverage and giving them fits, and Edelman and Mr. Welker, his apparent mentor, is in the mix.“

                    From: Don Diamant <jeepndd@...>
                    Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:37:17 -0400
                    To: "patriotzip@yahoogroups.com" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com>

                    But it’s just one preseason game.  Maroney looked healthy and did hit the holes.  I wouldn’t call him done over this one game.  It wasn’t a great performance but it wasn’t bad either.

                    Don

                    The running attack looked better in the 2nd half, with Morris and Bee Gee running the ball. But, to be fair to Maroney, that's not apples to apples; since they were running against the Eagles second unit. Still, as I said earlier, I saw nothing new and exciting from the way Maroney approached the LOS. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they traded him for that R5 pick we need, and went with Taylor, Morris, Faulk, and Bee Gee. And I mean that.

                    George

                  • Ed Bryant
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009
                      My boy Vinnie C didn't show me what I wanted to see on the coverage teams, and got turned around on one of the cutbacks.  And there was a bad news/bad news situation when the horrible kick return wasn't Matthew Slater, but Terrence Nunn.  Right after that, though, Benjarvus Green-Ellis did just what you'd want when you're starting at the 8 yard line, which would not have been there to see if Nunn hadn't messed up the KR.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 14, 2009

                        A few observations from the game while on Vacation!

                        Very surprised to see rookie Myron Pryor in with the 1st unit in the 4-3.  He showed alot and must have impressed the coaches to get the start.  Pryor was in before Brace.  Not sure I like the 4-3 or whatever defense they are calling it.  I could see some type of defense like the Bears with hybrid DE/LB's playing all over the place.

                        Maroney didn't look all that good, but that may be the OL problems.  D line against sub OL for Eagles didn 't look too good.  Philly is going to be scary good this year.

                        Impressd with Thomas work at FB especially how long he stayed with his blocks.

                        Wilhite looked good, Butle should not have been called for PI, that was strickly incidental contact.  Wheatley got picked on all night long and will have to picke up his game.  ST's need work on coverage.  Pass rush and presure were good especially for 1st pre-season game.  BB really wanted this game and even blitzed a few time.
                        Liked what I saw fron Chung both at Safety and ST'.  If he keeps this up, he will be starting by mid season.  Edelman ... enough said ... Ray Ventrone may be the odd man out here.  Looks like Aiken will make the team as ST Captain.

                        Mark

                        It was indeed a good initial test for the team  It did reveal a few things good and bad.  The rushing offense and rushing defense were both weaker than I'd prefer by a long shot (with the main units) and special teams still looks fairly unsettled to me.

                        I thought Brady did develop more comfort as his time continued though his  interception was very underthrown and his sideline antics after suggest more frustration than I'd prefer from him.  He and Galloway clearly need a bit more work in getting synchronized.

                        Mayo clearly looks ready to play and there was a lot of heart from the youngsters - for a first exhibition.. .a good start indeed.

                      • Steve Basile
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 16, 2009
                          Reiss projects the 53-man roster Projecting the 53 - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com http://bit.ly/12WOwz

                          At first glance, Slater, O'Callaghan & Ventrone look like  possible early, possibly surprising casualties.  The comment chatter is already talking about Kaczur vs O'Callaghan.  Can they keep Law Firm & Maroney?  Should they?  With a 4-3 , what do we do with all the LB talent?

                          Cut Dates
                          • Sept 1: 75 player roster
                          • Sept 5: 53 player roster

                          Go Pats,
                           Steve

                          --
                          Steve Basile
                          Manager
                          B.D. Riley's Irish Pub
                          Austin, TX
                          Official Home: Austin Patriots Club
                          Web: www.bdrileys.com

                          =================

                          (c) 2009 NY Times Company (Boston Globe)

                          After one preseason game, an updated projection at how the Patriots' 53-man roster might look for the season-opener:

                          Quarterback (3): Brady, O’Connell, Walter
                          Quick hit: Brady looks as motivated as ever; good competition for No. 2 job.

                          Running back (5): Faulk, Taylor, Morris, Maroney, Green-Ellis
                          Quick hit: Hard to cut Green-Ellis when he runs as hard as he does.

                          Tight end (4): Baker, Watson, Thomas, Smith
                          Quick hit: Smith, with $1.55 million salary, has not yet emerged, but he gets the benefit of the doubt as he's learning a new system.

                          Receiver (6): Moss, Welker, Galloway, Edelman, Lewis, Aiken
                          Quick hit: Galloway still getting on the same page in new offense.

                          Offensive line (8): Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur, Vollmer, Ohrnberger, Hochstein
                          Quick hit: All starters return, and some more youngsters could be on practice squad for added depth.

                          Defensive line (7): Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Green, Brace, Pryor, Wright
                          Quick hit: Lots of versatility in this group.

                          Hybrid defensive end/linebacker (2): Burgess, Banta-Cain
                          Quick hit: Both will be relied on to boost the team’s pass rush in flexible defensive system.

                          Linebacker (6): Mayo, Thomas, Guyton, Woods, Crable, Bruschi
                          Quick hit: Will be interesting to see where Bruschi fits if four-man line is more prevalent; Lenon, Alexander and Williams all on the bubble and special teams impact could help their case.

                          Cornerback (5): Springs, Bodden, Wilhite, Butler, Wheatley
                          Quick hit: Looks like a much improved unit from 2008.

                          Safety (4): Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, McGowan
                          Quick hit: Meriweather appears primed to take a positive step forward; Slater figures to be on roster, but tough to fit him in this projection with so many offensive skill-position players.

                          Specialists (3): Gostkowski (K), Hanson (P), Ingram (LS)
                          Quick hit: Rookie long snapper Ingram seemed to ace his first test.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 17, 2009
                            Kaczur has had a reasonably solid camp which not surprisingly follows in the heels of his recording an off-season work out award.  Is it possible his Oxy incident from last year has given him a renewed focus and work ethic?

                            The wedge rule changes are going to have an impact on special teams and part of that is the expectation of more tight end and fewer linebackers into the mix.  This makes sense to me as tight ends are likely to be more natural blockers.

                            Ultimately though, this is an early bit of work by Reiss to make his evaluations.  I look forward to the next two pre-season games really telling us more.

                            Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:26 PM
                            Subject: [patriotzip] Reiss projects the 53-man roster

[...]

                            Internal Virus Database is out of date.