Re: Pats 50th Anniversary Team

  • kmacalp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
      A few thoughts.

      We'd be all set if they allowed 12 men on the field at once. I guess that's part of the problem with the different formations and personnel groupings teams use. For years, we saw two RBs, two WRs, and one TE as the standard set. Now, we see 3 WRs, and one TE much more than two RBs. Then on defense, you have 3-4 vs. 4-3 causing a problem.

       Morgan, my favorite Patriot ever, and Troy Brown are the all time club leaders with 500+ catches, but both 2nd year guys, Moss and Welker, deserve consideration for that 3rd spot. Someone already mentioned Moss. How about Welker? 223 catches in TWO YEARS!!

      With all due respect to Ty Law, Raymond Clayborn gets my nod. Didn't Law finished tied with Clayborn for the club lead in interceptions? Here's the thing. For years, many teams feared to even throw to Clayborn's side of the field. That's how good he was. So he got fewer chances at interceptions. In 1983 and 1984, there were a number of games where no passes were attempted against Clayborn, and other games where only one pass was attempted against him. In 1983, he didn't get a single interception, but NFL players and coaches voted him into the Pro Bowl. They knew why he didn't get picks. They didn't even want to challenge him. That's how good he was.

      Sincerely,
      Scott Sheaffer