RE: LPC: Bruschi Brew 14 - Join if you wish

  • Don Diamant
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2009
      I've seen guys their doing a custom recipe. Here's a couple of recipes that
      should be doable with a little advanced planning, like converting to a 10
      gallon batch and making sure sufficient ingredients are on hand:

      Gluten-Free Recipe
      Simple Simon
      Sorghum Beer
      (5 gallons/19 L, extract)
      OG = 1.047 FG = 1.011
      IBU = 22 SRM = 8 ABV = 4.7%

      Ingredients6 lb. 11 oz. (3.0 kg) BriesSweet White Sorghum Syrup 45 DE High
      Maltose
      0.50 lbs. (0.23 kg) honey
      6 AAU Tettnang hops (60 mins)
      (1.5 oz./43 g of 4% alpha acids)
      Danstar Nottingham dried ale yeast
      0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

      Step by Step
      Heat 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water to a boil, then stir in sorghum syrup.
      Return wort to a boil, then add hops and boil for 60 minutes. At the end of
      the boil, stir in honey with a sanitized spoon, then cool wort until sides
      of brewpot are cool to the touch. Transfer wort to a sanitized fermenter and
      top up with water to 5 gallons (19 L). Aerate wort and pitch yeast. Ferment
      at 68 °F (20 °C). Bottle with corn sugar.

      Overlook Amber Ale
      (Redrum Sorghum Beer)
      (5 gallons/19 L, partial mash)
      OG = 1.055 FG = 1.014
      IBU = 33 SRM = 10+ ABV = 5.3%

      Ingredients•5.0 lbs. (2.3 kg) white sorghum malt (base malt)
      •1.0 lbs. (0.45 kg) white sorghum malt (kilned/toasted malt)
      •4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) BriesSweet White Sorghum Syrup 45 DE High Maltose
      •1 tsp amylase enzymes
      •7 AAU Centennial hops (60 mins)
      •(0.58 oz./16 g of 12% alpha acids)
      •2.5 AAU Cascade hops (30 mins)
      •(0.50 oz./14 g of 5% alpha acids)
      •0.50 oz. (14 g) Amarillo hops (0 mins)
      •Fermentis Safale S-04 dried ale yeast
      •0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

      Step By Step
      Malt 6.0 lbs. (2.7 kg) of white sorghum. Toast 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) of this
      malt. Perform a triple decoction mash, then heat mash to 180 °F (82 °C) and
      stir in amylase enzymes. Collect wort, add syrup and boil wort for 60
      minutes. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).