Re: [patriotzip] The Prime Time NFL Draft

  • Machado.Nicholas
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 25, 2009
      Now BB can have extra time to plan his 2nd and later round picks. He can skip the first round altogether most of the time - sleep through it perhaps - then get up around midnight and have the night, morning and afternoon to plan his picks for Friday and Saturday which is where he does the majority of his drafting anyway. Advantage: Patriots. I'm surprized Bill Polian is letting this stand.

      Harry

      At 05:19 PM 7/24/2009 +0700, you wrote:

      The decision to move the NFL Draft to "prime time", and split it into 3 days, will have several affects. In case you missed it, the Draft will now be run with Round 1 on Thursday night; Rounds 2 & 3 on Friday night; and Rounds 4-7 on Saturday afternoon. What will this do?

      First, it will likely lead to more trades. Teams will have more time between the critical 1st and 2nd Rounds to evaluate where they, and other teams stand, after that all important first pick.

      Second, it will likely help the teams that are not as well prepared, or as good "under fire", as others. As with the trade note above, those teams will have more time to re-do their draft boards after the completion of Round 1.

      On the more "fan related" front, it may actually hurt the viewership. A lot of fans who sat through at least all of the old "Day One", which was 3 Rounds until last year, when it dropped to 2, may now decide only to watch the "high drama" of Round 1, and opt for the usual Friday night parties and date nights, rather than stay home to watch Rounds 2 & 3.

      Speaking of parties, the Draft Day Parties that were so popular, which were a full Saturday of fun for many, are likely a thing of the past. Thursday night is a lousy night for parties. Once Round 1 is over, the level of excitement really drops off. That, plus the competition from "traditional" Friday night activities, will really hurt the potential audience for Round 2. And Saturday, which will now be Rounds 4-7, won't draw many folks to sports bars, or even friends homes, for the "big event".

      All in all, I think this is a lousy decision. If they had gone with Rounds 1 & 2 on Friday night, and 3-7 on Saturday, it certainly would have worked better for the party crowd. And it also would have preserved the "reward" for the more organized teams for at least the first 2 Rounds. (Personally, I liked the old 1-3/4-7 split, for that same reason.) I also think it would have guaranteed more viewers, because, as noted, there won't be as many parties (or viewers) for the Thursday Round 1, and even less for the Friday Rounds 2 & 3. Saturday will be no different from what Sunday used to be; and that, I believe was pretty weak. (Only sick addicts, like me, were glued to the TV all morning on Sunday to watch teams pick a lot of guys who'd be pumping gas after a few weeks in training camps!)

      Now, on a purely selfish note, I'm happy about this. Here in Thailand, the Saturday afternoon draft started at about 11:00 PM for me; and ran into the wee hours of the morning. The prime time start for Rounds 1 & 2 will put it on at a reasonable morning hour for me here. Still, being the unselfish guy I am, I think it's a bad decision. :-)

      George 5007878e.jpg

    • kmacalp@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 25, 2009
        <Ed> Super Bowl at 1 pm?  Somebody lives on the East Coast!

        <Scott> LOL! Guilty as charged, your honor.

        Okay. I'll compromise. 4:00 PM at the latest.

        Scott Sheaffer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 25, 2009
          Definitely NOT in Thailand! I'm for a 9:00 PM start for the Draft, all Patriots' games, and the Super Bowl!! :-)

          George

          From: kmacalp@aol. com <kmacalp@aol. com>
          Subject: [patriotzip] Re: The Prime Time NFL Draft
          To: patriotzip@yahoogro ups.com
          Date: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 10:47 AM

          Chung, you're a second round pick. So take your second round money, stop crying, and get on the field.

          I think the prime time draft is stupid. Why do they have to attach bells and whistles to everything? Go back to starting the draft at 5 AM in the morning, and running it all the way through until it's done.

          Oh yeah, and move the Super Bowl to 1 PM on Sunday the week after the Conference Championships.

          Thank you,

          Scott Sheaffer

          PS: Dump the 45 minute long Super Bowl half times.

        • Steve Basile
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 25, 2009
            A Northern Patriot Fan? Politics aside, check out the sweatshirt a certain soon-to-be-former Northern Governor is wearing here:

            http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/95004/thumbs/r-SARAH-PALIN-large.jpg

            Flying Elvis spotted near Russia!

            Counting down: 18 days, 20 hours, 51 minutes till pre-season kickoff!

            Baze
            --
            Steve Basile
            Manager

          • Ed Bryant
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009
              This morning, on CNN, I saw the same blonde, standing behind Palin in a red sweatshirt.  Now, here she is in my e-mail.

              Two fifteen minute periods of fame, in the same day.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009
                To me, the ideal Super Bowl allows me a good night's sleep, a leisurely rising, time to pack the shrinage (I've watched many Super Bowls at the same house not my own, although only one of the last three), time to play some football, and then, of course, some scarfage time.

                So, I can go with your four pm, but I'd rather negotiate with the league: 5 pm, and 12 minutes for halftime!!!

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009

                  A simple solution, don’t change the time just the day, move it to Saturday.

                  Don