RE: [patriotzip] I guess we are rebuilding our secondary... Hobbs traded!

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2009
      I have to say that this really surprised me. Hobbs is not an elite CB, by any means. But, IMO, he was the best CB on our roster at the end of last season. The additions of Bodden and Springs were excellent moves. Either or both may be better than Hobbs. We've seen talent, as well as issues, with last year's new kids, Wilhite and Wheatley. The addition of Butler is obviously difficult to evaluate, since he hasn't played a down in the NFL, but he was highly rated among this year's CB crop.

      I guess it's back to "In Bill We Trust" on this one, for me; because, at first glance, I don't like it. I think Hobbs is, at worst, an above average CB; and he's certainly among the best KRs in the league. Seems to me to be a lot of talent to give up for two R5 picks.

      Those R5 picks were subsequently also traded, getting us a R4 (OL Ohrnberger), and a R6 (LS Ingram). Ohrnberger will not likely be a factor this season. Ingram will fight it out with FA Hodel for the 1 LS position available. Again, I don't immediately see anything that replaces a capable starting CB.

      Does BB have more confidence in Wilhite and Wheatley than most fans built up, based upon what we saw of them last season? Is he more certain than some that Bodden's production in 2007, and not his drop off in 2008, is what we'll get? Is he certain that the 34-year old Springs has at least one more year of production left that exceeds what Hobbs could do? Does he consider Butler good enough to step right in and improve what Hobbs could do? There are 5 options there that may well produce 2 starting CBs who will be a step up from Hobbs. I certainly hope so; or this will be one trade that we look back upon as a mistake.

      George

      I realize this isn't going to last forever. I won't be playing football forever. But I think I've tried to ensure that when I stop playing football, the last helmet I'll be wearing is a Patriot helmet." - Tedy Bruschi