RE: [patriotzip] Pats' title defense can't compare

  • George R
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
      --- Rob Bosch <rbosch@...> wrote:
      > > Specifically, the defensive line improvement! I don't
      > > expect anyone to be able to run on the Pats this year.
      > > Steve Martin is a huge improvement over Brandon
      > > Mitchell. Bernard Holsey has beaten out the starter
      > > from last year (Jace Sayler) for a backup position.
      > > Sayler is now on our Practice Squad.
      >
      > I agree with your assessment of the Pat's defense John. I feel that
      > the run defense in particular will be very effective this year. I was
      > very much in favor of the Pats signing Steve Martin.

      ***** I think we all expect that of our run D. Several of us noted the
      signing of Martin as a big plus for the run D as soon as we signed him.
      It's looked great in the pre-season. We'll know with absolute certainty
      if we're right 5 days from now. The Squeelers are as good a test of our
      run D as we could get. That's just one more reason that I'm happy to
      have them first up on the schedule. I really do believe that shutting
      down their offense, and particularly their running game, will end the
      "lack of respect" that irritates so many of us. And I really do expect
      that to happen!

      > My only concern lies with the secondary. Before the preseason I was
      > very excited about this group. But the injuries to Leonard Myers, Tom
      > Knight, and Brock Williams have me a little scared. ... The safety
      > position is golden, though. Milloy, Jones, Green and Harris is a
      > fantastic group of safeties. I'm hoping they will help to mask some
      > of the depth problems the Pats have at cornerback.

      ***** Read this clipped version of your comments again, Rob. Is there
      any reason to be overly concerned about the (temporary) lack of depth
      at CB, when we have a HC who is the best in the business when you need
      to "mask some of the depth problems?" The experience of our top 5 DBs
      (Smith, Law, Tebucky, Milloy, Green), plus the fear for life and limb
      that they put into opposing receivers, will keep that element of our
      game strong. I look for significant improvement in the defensive 3rd
      down results this season. Alot less "bend" than we saw last year.

      ***** In short, this D is going to be among the top 2-3 in the NFL, if
      not the leader.

      =====
      George 665 + 36 =
      ** World Champion N E Patriots **

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Rob Bosch
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
        > ***** Read this clipped version of your comments again, Rob. Is there
        > any reason to be overly concerned about the (temporary) lack of depth
        > at CB, when we have a HC who is the best in the business when you need
        > to "mask some of the depth problems?" The experience of our top 5 DBs
        > (Smith, Law, Tebucky, Milloy, Green), plus the fear for life and limb
        > that they put into opposing receivers, will keep that element of our
        > game strong. I look for significant improvement in the defensive 3rd
        > down results this season. Alot less "bend" than we saw last year.

        No big arguments here George...as I said I'm nitpicking. As I was writing
        the e-mail I did think of BB and how effective he is at hiding weaknesses.
        And I mentioned how strong the safety position, and how I expect that will
        make up for the shortfall at CB. But I still have a fear of...let's
        say...seeing Jimmy Hitchcock matched up one on one with Santana Moss. We
        give BB all the credit in the world for coming up with effective defensive
        schemes, and he deserves that credit and then some. But in the end the
        players still have to perform when called upon. They will be on an island
        quite often, with no help from anybody else. Those are the times that I
        worry about our CB depth. Hopefully it is temporary as you said. If Knight
        gets healthy and Myers returns later in the season then things will look a
        whole lot better. All in all I'm sure this situation will work itself out.

        > ***** In short, this D is going to be among the top 2-3 in the NFL, if
        > not the leader.

        The only thing that will keep the Pats from being a top 3 defense is the
        pass rush. While the Pats are pretty effective at creating pressure, this
        comes about more from scheming than anything else. We don't have a John
        Abraham or Jevon Kearse...that one guy that strikes fear in an opponent from
        the outside. Seymour is pretty close, but he's an interior player. It's hard
        for those guys to create pressure as regularly as the outside ends do.
        Jarvis Green looks pretty intriguing, but let's see what he can do when the
        bullets are flying for real. I like Vrabel from the outside. I've said
        before that he might be our best pass rusher. What about Willie McGinest?
        Well some people on this list are well aware that I am not Willie's biggest
        fan. I think he's overrated as a pass rusher...good tackles stop him every
        time. Where Willie is overrated, Pleasant is underrated. That guy can still
        get after the QB...especially for a guy his age.

        So in the end I think the Pats will be somewhere in the middle of the pack
        as far as sacks are concerned. Since pressuring the QB is the name of the
        game, I think this might hold back their defense a little bit...but just a
        little bit. I look for the Pats to finish somewhere around 5th or 6th in
        total defense, which is still pretty darn good. Put that together with a
        more potent offense and I think I see a trip to San Diego come January!

        -Pats Freak
      • PatriotZip
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
          If I had to list my top three concerns for the Patriots it would be:
          the Secondary depth, linebacker depth and the Offensive Line are my
          two areas which I highlight as concerns. This isn't to say I believe
          we are in trouble, just that these seem most likely to cause problems.

          Otis has just continued to be strong late in his career. His
          preseason form convinces me he can handle this. Ty will have to work
          to not be overconfident and sustain his work effort but when he
          applies himself to his game, he's a shut down corner. So I like
          those two starters (did I just say I like "There goes" "My Man" Otis
          Smith? He's earned it. Safety is absolutely solid and with depth.
          Rob Kelly and Jimmy Hitchcock? Not only did then not inspire me
          prior to preseason but they did nothing to inspire me during it and
          in fact hurt my image of both. Maybe they will come up to speed and
          work well within the system. As of right now I see our safety depth
          getting the nod in most of our packages which provides a little speed
          concern.

          If we have no injuries then I like our linebacker corps. Vrabel just
          astounded me with how well he fits BB's system. Phifer was the
          unsung hero of last year along with Otis and Tedy, Ted and McGinest
          are solid performers who round off an impressive crew. I thought
          Tuitele was a better performer than the slightly too slow Chatham -
          but I'll trust BB for now. I hope the lack of listing Tedy's injury
          isn't to hide it but more a sign he is really fine. I suspect it's a
          bit of both.

          Greg Robinson-Randall was steady at right tackle. A bit slower than
          I like but steady. Kenyatta Jones had a work ethic problem last year
          and seems equally guilty of being beaten deep by speed. Speed
          rushers remain the primary challenge for Matt Light. The unit has
          some depth but the Tackle positions are frail to say the least and
          Light has shown a tendency toward injury. We'll have to hope for now.

          Besides these areas - for which I do believe we are stronger on the
          line, the rest of the team is solid and underwent marked
          improvements. I like our chances...
        • Rob Bosch
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002

            > If we have no injuries then I like our linebacker corps. Vrabel just
            > astounded me with how well he fits BB's system. Phifer was the
            > unsung hero of last year along with Otis and Tedy, Ted and McGinest
            > are solid performers who round off an impressive crew. I thought
            > Tuitele was a better performer than the slightly too slow Chatham -
            > but I'll trust BB for now. I hope the lack of listing Tedy's injury
            > isn't to hide it but more a sign he is really fine. I suspect it's a
            > bit of both.

            Well if you had any concers about the LB corps before, now you really have
            to be concerned when you factor in this Ted Johnson silliness. I'm very
            curious to hear why he bolted the team, and why he had to wait until 4 days
            before the opener to do it. If it has something to do with his contract I'm
            going to be very upset. He willingly decided to renegotiate it in March, so
            it's hard to imagine that his contract is the issue. I'm eagerly awaiting an
            update on Johnson's status.

            -Pats Freak
          • Christopher Robert Woods
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
              > Well if you had any concers about the LB corps
              > before, now you really have
              > to be concerned when you factor in this Ted Johnson
              > silliness. I'm very
              > curious to hear why he bolted the team, and why he
              > had to wait until 4 days
              > before the opener to do it. If it has something to
              > do with his contract I'm
              > going to be very upset. He willingly decided to
              > renegotiate it in March, so
              > it's hard to imagine that his contract is the issue.
              > I'm eagerly awaiting an
              > update on Johnson's status.

              Considering that TJ always seemed to be a Good Guy
              (TM)
              I find this peculiar.

              What is it with screwed up Pat's MLBs?

              You have Todd Collins retire/unretire (or was he an
              OLB in the 4-3?) Katz be...Katz, and now TJ.

              =====
              Christopher Robert Woods - tradebledsoe@...
              "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." - HL Mencken

              http://finance.yahoo.com