Pats' title defense can't compare

  • John Warren
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2002
      Todays article by Kevin Mannix is one of the better
      articles I have read recently about the Pats and their
      defense of the Championship.

      Specifically, the defensive line improvement! I don't
      expect anyone to be able to run on the Pats this year.
      Steve Martin is a huge improvement over Brandon
      Mitchell. Bernard Holsey has beaten out the starter
      from last year (Jace Sayler) for a backup position.
      Sayler is now on our Practice Squad. The progress of
      Richard Seymour is well documented, and his play in
      the Super Bowl,(I loved the one on All-Pro Adam
      Timmerman where he just shoved him aside to get to
      Warner)was a preview of great things to come. Rookie
      Jarvis Green looks like a player, they added another
      veteran who "gets it" in Rick Lyle. They named
      Anthony Pleasant a captain which is an indication of
      what he means to the other players. Willie McGinest
      is healthy and has been moved between the LB and DE
      positions. Bobby Hamilton is steady, unspectacular
      but deadly effective in stopping the run and
      disrupting the offense.

      The play of the secondary is well known. With the
      improvement on the D line, the defense will keep us in
      every game. Bottom Line is Defense wins
      Championships.

      BTW - pre-season stats - Pats 1st D gave up only 1 TD
      in 23 series against the 1st O of other teams. That
      came in the second series of the 1st game. Steve
      Spurrier and Washingtons Fun and Gun offense is still
      trying to find out where the Pats defenders are coming
      from. I particularly liked the 2LB/3S alignment used
      by the Pats. A different S was blitzing on every play
      and the offenses could tell where they were coming
      from.

      http://finance.yahoo.com