If Not Bodden, Who?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009
      Clear Day

      Leigh Bodden is generally acknowledged as the best UFA CB still available. I'm on the bandwagon full of folks hoping that will happen. He's a proven young veteran, who could very well be even better in BB's system.

      I'm NOT enthusiastic about their move to look at Shawn Springs. I really don't think he's the answer. He's 33, and, like just about all CBs of that age, his best years are behind him.

      So, if we don't land Bodden; and (as I hope) choose not to sign Springs; where else can we go in the FA market for the CB help we need?

      The ESPN FA summary shows the following young vets (I'm not looking at 10 year vet, Chris McCalister) still out there who could step right in as our starter opposite Hobbs, and give us solid CB play: (I've listed them in the order in which ESPN rates them.)

      Bryant McFadden (Steelers)

      Joselio Hanson (Eagles)

      Jabari Greer (Bills)

      Chris Johnson (Raiders)

      Phillip Buchanon (Bucs)

      IMO, any of those 5 guys would raise our CB play to at least "average" performance.

      There are also a couple (but only a couple) of UFA Safeties out there who could upgrade that position. They are:

      Mike Brown (Bears)

      Jermaine Phillips (Bucs)

      Seeing one of those 7 players signed would not be as good as seeing Bodden added to our roster. (Though McFadden isn't far behind!) But any of them would be a plus.