Old Friend Gets Starting Job

  • George R
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3 8:06 AM
      Clipped from the Rick Stroud article posted on sptimes.com 9/02/02.

      "Marcus Jones' knee injury is not more severe than first diagnosed.
      But what it will cost the Bucs defensive end is worse than expected.

      Jones, 29, who was supposed to miss 4-6 weeks after surgery for a
      torn lateral meniscus in his left knee, was placed on injured
      reserve Sunday and will miss the season�

      He will be replaced at left defensive end by free agent Greg Spires�"

      ***** I always liked Spires. Great motor. Just a little undersized to
      play every down. Maybe experience has taught him how to deal with the
      run better. Hope he does well with the Bucs.

      =====
      George 665 + 36 =
      ** World Champion N E Patriots **

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Christopher Robert Woods
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3 8:36 AM
        > "Marcus Jones' knee injury is not more severe than
        > first diagnosed.
        > But what it will cost the Bucs defensive end is
        > worse than expected.
        >
        > Jones, 29, who was supposed to miss 4-6 weeks after
        > surgery for a
        > torn lateral meniscus in his left knee, was placed
        > on injured
        > reserve Sunday and will miss the season�
        >
        > He will be replaced at left defensive end by free
        > agent Greg Spires�"
        >
        > ***** I always liked Spires. Great motor. Just a
        > little undersized to
        > play every down. Maybe experience has taught him how
        > to deal with the
        > run better. Hope he does well with the Bucs.

        I've never bought this 'undersized to play every down'
        crap. I think of guys like Dorsett (5' 11" 185lbs),
        Payton (5'10" 202lbs) , Joe Morris (5'7")
        and others who would be labeled too small to be an
        every down back by today's standards.

        Its the same thing with the DL. DL weren't required
        to be 6'7"

        =====
        Christopher Robert Woods - tradebledsoe@...
        "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." - HL Mencken

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • George R
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3 9:56 AM
          --- Christopher Robert Woods <tradebledsoe@...> wrote:

          > > He will be replaced at left defensive end by free
          > > agent Greg Spires�"
          > >
          > > ***** I always liked Spires. Great motor. Just a
          > > little undersized to play every down. Maybe experience has taught
          > > him how to deal with the run better. Hope he does well with the
          > > Bucs.
          >
          > I've never bought this 'undersized to play every down'
          > crap. I think of guys like Dorsett (5' 11" 185lbs),
          > Payton (5'10" 202lbs) , Joe Morris (5'7")
          > and others who would be labeled too small to be an
          > every down back by today's standards.
          >
          > Its the same thing with the DL. DL weren't required
          > to be 6'7"

          ***** I agree with your point, Chris. But the cliche is accurate, IMO,
          as a "general rule." There are exceptions to every such rule, and the
          guys you mention are examples. So were/are Nick Buonoconti, Zack
          Thomas, Dat Nyugen, etc.. Spires, however, had trouble against the run
          when he was here. That left him as a one dimensional player, and that's
          why he was cut. As I noted above, it's possible that he has learned
          some techniques over the years that will help him to deal with the
          larger players more effectively. But he did play to the "undersized"
          label when he was here.

          =====
          George 665 + 36 =
          ** World Champion N E Patriots **

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Christopher Robert Woods
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3 11:15 AM
            Nope, you are wrong.

            =====

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3 12:45 PM
              --- Christopher Robert Woods <tradebledsoe@...> wrote:

              > Nope, you are wrong.

              ***** Just returning this so that you know it didn't reach the party
              you intended to send it to. I know it wasn't for me.

              =====
              George 665 + 36 =
              ** World Champion N E Patriots **

              http://finance.yahoo.com