Patriots Franchise Cassel

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
      Now that didn't take long ...."we look forward to working with Matt in 2009"

      http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/patriots_franch.html
    • Machado.Nicholas
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
        If they got a mid first rounder for Bledsoe - 21 I think - they ought to be able to get at least a mid to high first round pick and a damn good player for Cassel. Sure didn't make sense to let him go for nothing and now the Pats are covered if TB has more problems or if he can't make it back this year. Aside from the cap hit it sounds like win/win for the Pats, maybe big win. Win, win for Cassel too with a shot at real big win. He gets starter money whether he does or not, is guaranteed a big contract if he's traded and he has a shot at adding a SB appearance as a starter to his resume before he hits free agency in 2010.

        Harry

        At 04:03 PM 2/5/2009 -0800, you wrote:

        Now that didn't take long ...."we look forward to working with Matt in 2009"

        http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/patriots_franch.html

        There are only two things wrong with money, too much or too little.--Charles Bukowski
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
          ***** I still feel that whether or not the Pats want a 2009 R1 pick in return for Cassel will depend upon their evaluation of the value of the guys available in R1 this year. They may prefer to get a 2010 R1, with a lower pick added this year. Or a couple relatively high picks, lower than R1, this year.

          ***** As I said earlier, they have to weigh the long term cap hit of a R1 pick, and his potential; versus the lower cap hits from later rounds, and their potential. Lately, it's been said that many teams don't see equality in the gap between R1 money and talent, and R2 or R3 money and talent.

          ***** It's all a matter of where they think they can get the most bang for the buck; and we fans have no idea how they look at that. All we can do is wait, and see how it plays out.

          George

[...]

          There are only two things wrong with money, too much or too little.--Charles Bukowski