Re: [patriotzip] Thomas done, Seau signed

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
      Fair concerns Billy.  I think I hear from most folks that the secondary is definitely the larger concern.  I think the injury to Woods and Bruschi's knee have elevated the need for replacement players like Colvin and Seau but I also think they may indeed be looking at some harder blitz packages taht need better blitzers.  Colvin certainly was a greaat pass rusher in his prime before the injuries and Seau can blow up plays up the middle with his physicality.  I also think Vrabel's shoulder may be having an impact as well but it's really hard to tell why they chose this unit to bolster without any change to the secondary.  Perhaps in part there simply is nobody out there ready to come into save the secondary... and they did make the pitch for Law.

      I really liked the notion taht Junior is coming in and said he'd play for nobody else but BB and Bob Kraft...says something about the organization there.  I also like that he's coming into the team not on the cusp of s aSuperbowl option but with a faint Superbowl hope...says something about Junior there.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2008
        ***** It's obviously a reach to bring back two guys that were let go because they were thought not to have enough left in the tank to get it done this year. The caveat is that the decision to let them go was made in the context of considering a full season. The Patriots now have just 4 games remaining in the regular season.

        ***** I'm going with BB's apparent belief that Rosie and Junior can contribute, with limited playing time, over such a small number of games. Obviously, they know the system, so they won't need much time to get their heads into the game. I have no idea about their current physical condition, other than the knowledge that Junior has always been a workout nut. As veterans, I believe they will be able to get to "game condition" quickly enough to at least be ready for the last two games ... and beyond, if fortune smiles on our team with the help we need in other games. And don't overlook the spirit that you know Junior will bring with him to the locker room, the sideline,  and the field. None of that is gone, whatever his age!

        ***** I'm not expecting "resurrection" miracles from these guys. But I do think they can bring more to the table than some castoff free agent who doesn't know our team, our coaches, and our defensive schemes. So I'm supporting the moves by BB. I think there is more likelihood that they will help, than there is that they will hurt.

        ***** And, yeah, OK. What is there to lose this season?

        George

      • kmacalp@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2008
          Right now, I see Seau as someone who can stuff the run with Guyton as someone for passing downs. If there's a problem with Bruschi, this will be really important. If not, they can be part of a rotation to keep Mayo (don't forget the fabled "rookie wall") and Bruschi fresh.

          I'm relying on memory here, but along with us, haven't the Colts and Texans both turned Colvin away? Hopefully, he can return to form, and whatever has scared everyone away won't be a factor.

          I was really hoping Thomas could come back if we made the playoffs. = / Oh well. That's the way it goes.

          Scott Sheaffer