Hit on Welker was legal

  • Geoff Talvola
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2008
      According to Mike Pereira on NFL Network's Official Review segment, it's
      perfectly legal to launch yourself into the air and hit a receiver in
      the head with your shoulder. You just can't use your helmet, facemask,
      or arm. Seems pretty dangerous to me but hey, what do I know, I've
      never played tackle football.

      You can watch the segment yourself here:
      http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d0448e

      Seems like any sort of highly forceful hit to the head should be
      illegal, but apparently it's not.

      - Geoff
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2008
        Ryan CLark's hit was brutal and despite tht I'm inclined to believe it was legal as well.  Since the rules do clarify that  a blow to the head with the shoulder is legal, the only question was whether it was 'late' in that the pass was clearly beyond the catching point and the receiver was defenseless.  I noticed Perrera didn't address the timing at all and I've heard various reports from Pats fans as to  the timing of the hit in regards to how long after the ball had passed.

        Welker's interview on Reiss suggests he's comfortable with the play.  I bet he'll remain defensive for a little longer after a ball is incomplete.

        Perrera also supported the call on the field by the way and suggested 9 of 10 times that call will be made because they are told to error on the side of protecting the player.  How confusing for a defensive player...but reality.

        It's still not my least favorite rule which is:
        A whistle ends the play...unless it's a loose ball at which point it may not end the play...  Yuck!

      • Machado.Nicholas
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2008
          At 11:16 AM 12/4/2008 -0500, you wrote:

          Seems like any sort of highly forceful hit to the head should be
          illegal, but apparently it's not.

          With all the concussion issues one would think it would be illegal.

          I hope Welker gets better at avoiding those hits, he's taken a few bell-ringers this year and that doesn't bode well for a long career.

          Harry