RE: It's the division or nothing, now

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
      Steve Copeland put this mostly together and I thought it worth sharing.  The Division winning version of the  playoff scenario requires the Jets to lose to the Bills or Dolphins while we win out.  The wildcard one is more challenging as we'd need the Ravens to lose twice - and they do have a tough schedule but ultimately I think we all realize the situation is bleak at best.

      It will be interesting to see who we are rooting against if we want the Pats finding their way into the tourney.

      Jets     8-4
      at 49er's, Bills, at Seahawks, Dolphins
      Division:  4-1
      Conference 6-4

      Patriots 7-5
      at Seahawks, at Raiders, Cardinals, at Bills
      Division 3-2
      Conference 5-5

      Ravens  8-4:
      Redskins, Steelers, at Cowboys, Jaguars
      Division 4-1
      Conference 7-3

      Colts   8-4:
      Bengals, Lions, at Jaguars, Titans
      D 2-2
      C 7-2

      Dolphins: 7-5:
      at Bills, 49er's, at Chiefs, at Jets
      D 2-2
      C 5-4

    • kmacalp@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
        <Randy> Jets 8-4
        at 49er's, Bills, at Seahawks, Dolphins
        Division: 4-1
        Conference 6-4

        <Scott> For those who want to play the playoff scenario game, I think the Jets' division record is actually 3-1 right now, not 4-1. If we win out, we'll be 4-2 in the division. If the Jets drop a game either to Buffalo or Miami, we'd be tied on records, head to head, in the division, and in the conference. It will come down to common opponents. Think Denver and Oakland.

        On the wild card, I think Baltimore is catchable due to that schedule.

        Yesterday's game: If we don't hand the ball to other team 6 times in the second half in terrific field position, we're in that game all the way. It came down to an inability to hang on to the ball. Both teams struggled with it, we did a lot worse. We moved against that defense, and that defense is as good as it gets right now. The Steelers are the better team now, but we're capable of beating them.

        Scott Sheaffer

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
          Thanks for the correction on the Jets divisional record.

          So that common opponent would involve:
          Denver, Oakland, San Diego, and Kansas Cit (AFC West) as well as San Francisco, Arizona, Seattle and St. Louis.    We also will have the three way tie breaker potential if Miami wins and then that is different potentially too... let's hope it clears up with our winning out and others losing appropriately because until then it will be complicated and several of those opponents are the next three games for us.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
            ***** There's no question that "the fat lady isn't singing" yet, Randy. I continue to have "hope". I just can't bring myself to have "positive expectations", in view of our clear defensive weaknesses this year. I am convinced that our offense, with the much improved play of Cassel, can score enough to win each of the 4 remaining games. And the Jets could certainly lose a tough Division game to either the Bills or Dolphins. For that matter, the Ravens could lose to both the Steelers and Cowboys.

            ***** I'll keep watching both the Patriots, AND the scoreboard, until the math can't be worked in our favor! When you think about, happy surprises are always more fun than simply meeting expectations, right? :-)

            George

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2008
              Hey Randy,
              I guess I have question.  Were my "frustration posts" during the game inappropriate to the list?  I understand it is your list and would like to try to stay within the guidelines.  I do like this group.  I'm am not trying to sound sarcastic.  I stand by my Ben Watson stinks comment, though.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
                Your posts were perfect and I had no problem with your posts.  I didn't always agree but they were fine.

                Basically it's the barrage of  no content messages sent out by our trio of:
                We suck

                Yeah you are right, we really suck"

                - even those would be fine if they were rare and limitted in frustration.

                I've enjoyed having you on the list and hope to see more of you.  I always send a private off list message if I think someone has stepped over the line...and that's very rare

                Thanks for your concern and I hope you continue as you have!
                Randy----- Original Message -----
                Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:14 AM