RE: Re: [patriotzip] The Pass Rush

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2008
      ***** You are correct in questioning that terminology, Geoff. I guess it's just a matter of interpretation. I went with the basic theory that DLs are primarily responsible for going after the QB, and playing the LOS; while LBs are primarily responsible for "backing up" the linemen - thus the label "Linebacker". :-)

      ***** Seriously though, you're right. The fact is that the Pats nearly always create a "standard" 4-man rush, by sending one LB after the QB on most pass plays. So, the bottom line is that, in this game, you could certainly say that the Pats actually blitzed 6 times, in the "old school" definition of 5 or more players being a real blitz.

      ***** In any case, whether by your definition or mine, I continue to believe that our pass rush this year has been MUCH too conservative. I can't pretend to know the reasons for this; though I'm certain that BB has done so based upon his evaluation of this team's capabilities. I would have to add that there's a pretty good possibility that his evaluation of the team's capabilities is somewhat better than mine! :-)

      ***** Still, from my woefully inferior armchair view, I feel that we should be more aggressive on defense, particularly in the pass rush, than we have been thus far. I'd have to see a few more major failures (big plays against aggressive defense), before I'd give up on that approach. Just seems to me that we were MUCH more aggressive in the years when our D was near the top of the league. Are our current players that inferior to the guys who played on D for most of the BB era? Why has the Patriots D become a passive, vanilla,

      ***** I can't help it. That's just me!

      George