We knew this was coming...

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
      It's half tongue-in-cheek, but we knew someone would eventually be
      bold enough to make this proposal. Obviously way too early, but leave
      it to the crew at CHFF to bring it up...

      http://tinyurl.com/59lf63

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
        To be fair they are not suggesting it is the right decision at all.  In fact to quote them:

        *****
        Look, we’re not saying that the Patriots will trade Brady, or even that they should trade Brady. (Please read that sentence again before sending the angry emails.)

        What we are saying is that if the organization is as detail-oriented as everyone believes it is, than they’re at least weighing the pros and cons. In fact, they should be weighing the pros and cons in the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately NFL (Not For Long league).
        ****

        In truth it is simple evaluation...I want Brady back leading us as soon as possible.  If they get offerred five number one picks for Tom and zero for Matt...there's at least some temptation to consider such things.  I believe Brady's knee will be well and I believe he normally has a fantastic work ethic which makes me wonder why last off-season was the first exception.  The team knows all those details and can evaluate the entire set of options...it's what they ahve to do if they want to be ready for all possibilities.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
          ***** I am in agreement with those who have said that the Patriots front office must look at all of the possibilities involved in handling the Cassel / Brady situation, once the season ends. I see nothing wrong with we, as powerless fans, discussing now what we see as the factors that could influence a decision.

          ***** I remain a member of a dying breed. I'm a traditionalist. I'd love to see Brady follow in the footsteps of other Patriots heroes like Gino, Grogan, Hog Hannah, Tippett, Troy, and (probably) Tedy; and play out his entire career as a Patriot. But, realistically, there could be some very strong advantages to trading Brady, as pointed out in the article. There's no denying that Brady is entering the back side of his great career; and likely has no more than a few years left at peak performance level. As the cliché goes, it's always better to release a player a year or two too early, than a year or two too late.

          ***** But there are still too many questions remaining to be answered by Cassel for me to suggest now that this would be a good idea. We have to see the rest of the season unfold; and see if Cassel's improvement continues. We have to, as David Price said, see if Cassel can win some big games under pressure, as Brady has done countless times. We have see how Brady's knee responds between now and March or so, when a trade for draft picks could be worked. We have to see what kind of money it would take to keep Cassel, so a decent evaluation of the savings can be made.

          ***** Cassel's recent major improvement definitely makes this an issue for further review, in my opinion. But it's much too early for me to have a go or no go opinion on it until there's a lot more evidence on the table.

          George