Re: [patriotzip] Belichick lost the game for us

  • J.E. Travers
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
      12 minutes to play and no time outs left? And then going for it on fourth and 16 with 7:00 entire minutes left to play? What panic. You BET he lost the game for us, John. Any one of his disastrous decisions could have overcome the Gaffney drop. I'm surprised BB didn't leave the game early after a performance like that.

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
        Typically, Belichick blamed everybody but himself in his conference call to the media today. Go to:

        http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/11/belichicks_comm_1.html

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
            I agree with George -- "You MUST throw at those (inexperienced) CBs when you have a Randy Moss to throw to. This was pathetic coaching!" You know, I've always been a big Pats fan, but I've never really been a fan of the man with no discernable personality. Last night, it was apparent he was coaching not to lose, rather than doing whatever it takes to win. He did the same thing in the Super Bowl last year. Shame on him. And shame on him for blaming everyone but himself. Same old arrogance, different Sunday.

            I had the same feeling when BB started racing down the field to call the time out -- he looked like he was in a complete state of panic. And I knew right then we'd probably get the first down and it would be called back. I mean, we'd been running on them all night long, right? It was an idiotic call on his part. I remember during the San Diego spanking how the camera caught him looking like a deer in the headlights on the sidelines. Last night, he looked far worse, second guessing everything, including himself. It doesn't bode well for a coach about to take on two division rivals he's in a two-way tie with.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
              *** Probably a little of each. I we keep forgetting is that the
              official time is kept on the field, not on the stadium clock.
              Harrison caught the ball with 19 seconds and didn't get OOB. The
              official on the spot signaled for the clock to continue to run. The
              Colts quickly lined up and spiked the ball. The problem was that
              Harrison was shaken up on the play and couldn't get back in time.
              The spike probably came 10 seconds after the catch, leaving 9 on the
              clock. The 10 second run off ends the half.

              *** I may be wrong because I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express
              last night.

              *** Dave

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "gary@..." <gary@...> wrote:

              > Actually, the officials probably had it right with the time. The
              play
              > before that, when was REALLY 19 seconds left, the clock never
              started.
              > That play was about 10-12 seconds worth of time leaving less than 10
              > seconds left in the half and then on that penalty, ran off what was
              left.

              Harrison
              > fails to get out of bounds and the officials still stop the clock
              anyway.
              > Then the officials call what appeared to me to be a phantom false
              start
              > penalty and run 10 seconds off the clock and call the half over
              when there
              > was 19 seconds on the clock which should have left 9 seconds! I
              guess it's
              > a good thing they called so few penalties, though there were a lot
              of
              > flaggable offenses they ignored through out the game, because when
              they did
              > make calls they were questionable. This was a terrible officiating
              > performance.

              > mail2web LIVE – Free email based on Microsoft® Exchange technology -
              > http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE

            • Don Diamant
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008

                I read the article and it was simply Reiss summarizing 5 points from Bill Belichick’s conference with the media today.  I don’t think a summarization is a particularly good reference for condemning someone for not taking any blame.  You really don’t like Belichick do you?

                Don

                Typically, Belichick blamed everybody but himself in his conference call to the media today. Go to:

                http://www.boston. com/sports/ football/ patriots/ reiss_pieces/ 2008/11/belichic ks_comm_1. html

                .

              • sean carmichael
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                  the clock was stopped because Harrisson was hurt and needed to come out of the game, he would have had to be out fro one play, the announcers missed it at the time, but later acknowledged it

                  Did anyone notice the bungle by the officials at the half? Marvin Harrison
                  fails to get out of bounds and the officials still stop the clock anyway.
                  Then the officials call what appeared to me to be a phantom false start
                  penalty and run 10 seconds off the clock and call the half over when there
                  was 19 seconds on the clock which should have left 9 seconds! I guess it's
                  a good thing they called so few penalties, though there were a lot of
                  flaggable offenses they ignored through out the game, because when they did
                  make calls they were questionable. This was a terrible officiating
                  performance.

                  http://link. mail2web. com/LIVE

                • Jane Smyth
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                    It really WAS the same way he coached last year's Super Bowl -- coaching not to lose rather than coaching to win. Spot on, Larry!

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                      Frankly, Don, it was a pretty thorough summary, sprinkled liberally with quotes from BB himself. And he never offered to take an ounce of the blame. I don't think they would've buried a mea culpa, had he offered one. Why? Have you read or heard him taking some blame anywhere at all in the press today? I doubt it.

                      As for whether I like him or not -- not right now, not after the effort (or the lack of effort) he made last night. But one thing is for sure -- I like him more than Larry does.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                        Bellichick has blamed himself many times in the past.  I read Reiss' reports and didn't note any  highlight of him blaming himself or his coaching which is absolutely a part of the loss this time from my vantage.  Still I just don't have quite the venom some folks have against BB at present.  He'll never win a congenial award and there are many things about him I don't like - his general coaching prowess, including the game plan, were things I found generally strengths that make him a very high quality Coach.

                        Why he didn't blame himself openly in this instance doesn't generally matter to me.  He's motivated his team very well and found ways to put them into positions to win far more often than not.  He's got something of a credit on that account in my book.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008

                          Today, no but I haven’t listened to him today.  I have heard him say he was out coached in the past so that certainly lends some credibility with me anyway.

                          Don