Re: [patriotzip] Belichick lost the game for us

  • Jane Smyth
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
      I had the same feeling when BB started racing down the field to call the time out -- he looked like he was in a complete state of panic. And I knew right then we'd probably get the first down and it would be called back. I mean, we'd been running on them all night long, right? It was an idiotic call on his part. I remember during the San Diego spanking how the camera caught him looking like a deer in the headlights on the sidelines. Last night, he looked far worse, second guessing everything, including himself. It doesn't bode well for a coach about to take on two division rivals he's in a two-way tie with.

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
        Yes, truly a game blown by a rattled, second-guessing, hand-wringing coach. He was embarrassing to watch. On the bright side, he could use a little humbling. Maybe he'll be better for it. PS: The 50-plus-yard Vinatieri field goal (after a 6-year drought) was pure karma.

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008

          Mike you are reading way too much into that in my opinion.  The spot of the ball should have been fourth and inches but the officials for some unbeknownst reason pulled the ball back more than a yard.  Unfortunately, he couldn’t challenge it and Belichick didn’t realize it was fourth and a yard and a half not inches until just before the snap.   As for Dave Thomas he said he didn’t hear the whistle and I believe him.  We all saw what David Thomas did, in slow motion, that puts it completely out of perspective and is not a fair way to judge it.  I sure would have liked to see it at full speed.  It was a hard fought game, both teams and coaches made mistakes, it was just unfortunate for us that the last mistake cost us the game.

          Did anyone notice the bungle by the officials at the half?  Marvin Harrison fails to get out of bounds and the officials still stop the clock anyway.  Then the officials call what appeared to me to be a phantom false start penalty and run 10 seconds off the clock and call the half over when there was 19 seconds on the clock which should have left 9 seconds!  I guess it’s a good thing they called so few penalties, though there were a lot of flaggable offenses they ignored through out the game, because when they did make calls they were questionable.  This was a terrible officiating performance.

        • gary@undiscoveredworlds.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
            Actually, the officials probably had it right with the time. The play
            before that, when was REALLY 19 seconds left, the clock never started.
            That play was about 10-12 seconds worth of time leaving less than 10
            seconds left in the half and then on that penalty, ran off what was left.

            http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
              Bellichick was not at his best for certain though I don't blame him for the loss.  Gaffney catching a ball, Thomas pulling off his block ... many team factors could have changed the nature of this game.  I do think he made several errors though I put it far less severe than I've heard here by some folks.  Obviously I'm not seeing his facial reactions and yet I do get a fair bit of feedback from the room around me during the game.

              The time out for twelve men seems the most ludicrous to me as somebody blew a simple counting review.  The time-out on Fourth and short isn't how I'd have wanted but those can burn or save you and you don't know the result of the play when you decide to call time.  As for the early going for two, Faulk may have made it anyhow but the bottom line is that two points might have been the pivotal difference either way and we blew it while Indy nailed it - execution errors as much as the decision since they obviously did a similar early decision and had it pay big dividends.  I think Tennessee in fact did it successfully to Indy just one week ago and it made a difference but I may not have the teams correct as it's a vague recollection.

              So Bellichick in my mind wasn't at his best even though the game plan generally was successful.  Did he cause the game?  No more than some of the folks who blew key plays that could also have been the difference.

            • J.E. Travers
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                12 minutes to play and no time outs left? And then going for it on fourth and 16 with 7:00 entire minutes left to play? What panic. You BET he lost the game for us, John. Any one of his disastrous decisions could have overcome the Gaffney drop. I'm surprised BB didn't leave the game early after a performance like that.

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Typically, Belichick blamed everybody but himself in his conference call to the media today. Go to:

                  http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/11/belichicks_comm_1.html

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                      I agree with George -- "You MUST throw at those (inexperienced) CBs when you have a Randy Moss to throw to. This was pathetic coaching!" You know, I've always been a big Pats fan, but I've never really been a fan of the man with no discernable personality. Last night, it was apparent he was coaching not to lose, rather than doing whatever it takes to win. He did the same thing in the Super Bowl last year. Shame on him. And shame on him for blaming everyone but himself. Same old arrogance, different Sunday.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                        *** Probably a little of each. I we keep forgetting is that the
                        official time is kept on the field, not on the stadium clock.
                        Harrison caught the ball with 19 seconds and didn't get OOB. The
                        official on the spot signaled for the clock to continue to run. The
                        Colts quickly lined up and spiked the ball. The problem was that
                        Harrison was shaken up on the play and couldn't get back in time.
                        The spike probably came 10 seconds after the catch, leaving 9 on the
                        clock. The 10 second run off ends the half.

                        *** I may be wrong because I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express
                        last night.

                        *** Dave

                        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "gary@..." <gary@...> wrote:

                        > Actually, the officials probably had it right with the time. The
                        play
                        > before that, when was REALLY 19 seconds left, the clock never
                        started.
                        > That play was about 10-12 seconds worth of time leaving less than 10
                        > seconds left in the half and then on that penalty, ran off what was
                        left.

                      • Don Diamant
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008

                          I read the article and it was simply Reiss summarizing 5 points from Bill Belichick’s conference with the media today.  I don’t think a summarization is a particularly good reference for condemning someone for not taking any blame.  You really don’t like Belichick do you?

                          Don

                          Typically, Belichick blamed everybody but himself in his conference call to the media today. Go to:

                          http://www.boston. com/sports/ football/ patriots/ reiss_pieces/ 2008/11/belichic ks_comm_1. html

                          .

                        • sean carmichael
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                            the clock was stopped because Harrisson was hurt and needed to come out of the game, he would have had to be out fro one play, the announcers missed it at the time, but later acknowledged it

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                              It really WAS the same way he coached last year's Super Bowl -- coaching not to lose rather than coaching to win. Spot on, Larry!

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                                Frankly, Don, it was a pretty thorough summary, sprinkled liberally with quotes from BB himself. And he never offered to take an ounce of the blame. I don't think they would've buried a mea culpa, had he offered one. Why? Have you read or heard him taking some blame anywhere at all in the press today? I doubt it.

                                As for whether I like him or not -- not right now, not after the effort (or the lack of effort) he made last night. But one thing is for sure -- I like him more than Larry does.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                                  Bellichick has blamed himself many times in the past.  I read Reiss' reports and didn't note any  highlight of him blaming himself or his coaching which is absolutely a part of the loss this time from my vantage.  Still I just don't have quite the venom some folks have against BB at present.  He'll never win a congenial award and there are many things about him I don't like - his general coaching prowess, including the game plan, were things I found generally strengths that make him a very high quality Coach.

                                  Why he didn't blame himself openly in this instance doesn't generally matter to me.  He's motivated his team very well and found ways to put them into positions to win far more often than not.  He's got something of a credit on that account in my book.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008

                                    Today, no but I haven’t listened to him today.  I have heard him say he was out coached in the past so that certainly lends some credibility with me anyway.

                                    Don