Re: [patriotzip] Dave Thomas's Boneheaded Play

  • Bob George
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
      > No. I take that back. Nothing was as stupid as Thomas's play. He's a good player, and I bet he's going to make some plays for us when it's all said and done. But that totally unnecessary late hit! ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some bad decision making tonight. Let's hope Thomas and the team learns from these mistakes. It seems like we've been committing too many of those kinds of late hit, unnecessary roughness penalties this year, and one of them finally cost us big time.

      That was a bad call by the referee. The replays clearly showed that
      the hit came just at the whistle and Thomas could not stop himself.
      It was the mother of all ticky-tack calls. That play lost the game
      for us, and it was not Thomas' fault.

      Our pass defense sucked, and BB's time out was a killer also.
      Gaffney's drop was bad, but not a back breaker as it helped kill off
      more time with more plays and we were still in a position to win it
      later on until that bad penalty call.

      Bob G
    • Scott Sheaffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Bob George" <soxpats413@...>
        wrote:

        >< Scott > No. I take that back. Nothing was as stupid as Thomas's
        play. He's a good player, and I bet he's going to make some plays for
        us when it's all said and done. But that totally unnecessary late
        hit! ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some bad decision making tonight.
        Let's hope Thomas and the team learns from these mistakes. It seems
        like we've been committing too many of those kinds of late hit,
        unnecessary roughness penalties this year, and one of them finally
        cost us big time.

        < Bob > That was a bad call by the referee. The replays clearly
        showed that
        > the hit came just at the whistle and Thomas could not stop himself.
        > It was the mother of all ticky-tack calls. That play lost the game
        > for us, and it was not Thomas' fault.
        >
        > Our pass defense sucked, and BB's time out was a killer also.
        > Gaffney's drop was bad, but not a back breaker as it helped kill off
        > more time with more plays and we were still in a position to win it
        > later on until that bad penalty call.
        >
        > Bob G

        < Scott > I don't recall hearing the whistle. So, I don't know when
        it was blown. The way everyone else on both teams acted though,
        standing around, not engaging leads me to believe they all heard a
        whistle earlier. If anyone knows where I can find a replay of the
        penalty on the computer, I'll take another look at it. What I
        remember is that AFTER Green-Ellis was on the ground and while Colts
        defenders were just standing around, not playing, not looking to hit
        anyone, just standing around, Thomas went another 5 yards, actually
        accerlerating along the way and leveled Mathis.

        These mistakes have been an ongoing problem, but we've gotten lucky
        with them so far. Remember when Green-Ellis jacked up a DB out of
        bounds last week? That could have been a 15 yard penalty too. We need
        to take care of this. Yeah, play hard and aggressive, but don't cross
        the line and cost the team 15, especially with the game on the line.
        Just get the problem fixed so it doesn't hurt us again later in the
        season, that's all.

        Scott Sheaffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
          We talked about this play a lot at my home.  Most folks believe he didn't know the play was over, didn't throw the block cheaply in any fashion and that it was simply incredibly unfortunate for him.  Worse for the team of course but ultimately it was a legitimate call albeit a little rough given the actual actions he made.  He was making a block, had an Emmy Award winning opponent and it got the Colts a needed call.  It was less grievous than the Gaffney drop which will haunt us.

          Sad to realize that ultimately Adam's 52 yard field goal was the margin...or that our missed and their made two pointer or...or...

          Fact is I thought it was a strong statement by our team - this one will hurt them for a long time but it doesn't hurt me that much because I think I saw the players of this team do a lot of good things.  It has made me very excited for the next three games as we play our entire division in three weeks...plenty of work ahead and hopefully it will pay rich rewards with the performances we showed by several folks today.  I put Thomas on the list of those who played well and won't deserve the guilt he feels.