Dave Thomas's Boneheaded Play

  • kmacalp@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
      Well, the team made a lot of key mistakes, but that one really stood out and took us from having a great chance to win (3rd and an inch late in the 4th) to facing very long odds. The challenge cost us a time out, but I thought it was a good challenge and we should have won it. The time out by Cassel is probably one that was needed. IF I saw things right, Belichick's use of the 3rd timeout would rank with Thomas's penalty. I thought we had the first down on that play. And then he opts for the field goal anyway after we just pushed the Colts off the line on the sneak? (Again, all this is assuming I saw things right.)

      No. I take that back. Nothing was as stupid as Thomas's play. He's a good player, and I bet he's going to make some plays for us when it's all said and done. But that totally unnecessary late hit! ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some bad decision making tonight. Let's hope Thomas and the team learns from these mistakes. It seems like we've been committing too many of those kinds of late hit, unnecessary roughness penalties this year, and one of them finally cost us big time.

      The Pats did better than I thought they'd do. I like the way Green-Ellis runs, but he is an undrafted rookie. So, even though the Colts' defensive weakness is against the run, it didn't seem like we'd be strong enough to consistently attack that weakness. I thought everything would be on Cassel, and, of course, the Colts are good at defending the pass. (Yes, even with all their injuries and pick ups from the scrap heap, they're still strong against the pass. Plus, they still have a lot of talent. They may not be able to bring it every week anymore, but on select weeks . . . Also, it was a home game for them, and there was the desperation factor. So, I was bracing for something like the San Diego game. I was pleasantly surprised to find us still in the game late in the 4th.

      On the bright side, Cassel's getting sacked a lot less frequently the past few weeks. Let's go beat Buffalo next week, guys!

      Scott Sheaffer

    • Bob George
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
        > No. I take that back. Nothing was as stupid as Thomas's play. He's a good player, and I bet he's going to make some plays for us when it's all said and done. But that totally unnecessary late hit! ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some bad decision making tonight. Let's hope Thomas and the team learns from these mistakes. It seems like we've been committing too many of those kinds of late hit, unnecessary roughness penalties this year, and one of them finally cost us big time.

        That was a bad call by the referee. The replays clearly showed that
        the hit came just at the whistle and Thomas could not stop himself.
        It was the mother of all ticky-tack calls. That play lost the game
        for us, and it was not Thomas' fault.

        Our pass defense sucked, and BB's time out was a killer also.
        Gaffney's drop was bad, but not a back breaker as it helped kill off
        more time with more plays and we were still in a position to win it
        later on until that bad penalty call.

        Bob G
      • Scott Sheaffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Bob George" <soxpats413@...>
          wrote:

          >< Scott > No. I take that back. Nothing was as stupid as Thomas's
          play. He's a good player, and I bet he's going to make some plays for
          us when it's all said and done. But that totally unnecessary late
          hit! ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some bad decision making tonight.
          Let's hope Thomas and the team learns from these mistakes. It seems
          like we've been committing too many of those kinds of late hit,
          unnecessary roughness penalties this year, and one of them finally
          cost us big time.

          < Bob > That was a bad call by the referee. The replays clearly
          showed that
          > the hit came just at the whistle and Thomas could not stop himself.
          > It was the mother of all ticky-tack calls. That play lost the game
          > for us, and it was not Thomas' fault.
          >
          > Our pass defense sucked, and BB's time out was a killer also.
          > Gaffney's drop was bad, but not a back breaker as it helped kill off
          > more time with more plays and we were still in a position to win it
          > later on until that bad penalty call.
          >
          > Bob G

          < Scott > I don't recall hearing the whistle. So, I don't know when
          it was blown. The way everyone else on both teams acted though,
          standing around, not engaging leads me to believe they all heard a
          whistle earlier. If anyone knows where I can find a replay of the
          penalty on the computer, I'll take another look at it. What I
          remember is that AFTER Green-Ellis was on the ground and while Colts
          defenders were just standing around, not playing, not looking to hit
          anyone, just standing around, Thomas went another 5 yards, actually
          accerlerating along the way and leveled Mathis.

          These mistakes have been an ongoing problem, but we've gotten lucky
          with them so far. Remember when Green-Ellis jacked up a DB out of
          bounds last week? That could have been a 15 yard penalty too. We need
          to take care of this. Yeah, play hard and aggressive, but don't cross
          the line and cost the team 15, especially with the game on the line.
          Just get the problem fixed so it doesn't hurt us again later in the
          season, that's all.

          Scott Sheaffer
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
            We talked about this play a lot at my home.  Most folks believe he didn't know the play was over, didn't throw the block cheaply in any fashion and that it was simply incredibly unfortunate for him.  Worse for the team of course but ultimately it was a legitimate call albeit a little rough given the actual actions he made.  He was making a block, had an Emmy Award winning opponent and it got the Colts a needed call.  It was less grievous than the Gaffney drop which will haunt us.

            Sad to realize that ultimately Adam's 52 yard field goal was the margin...or that our missed and their made two pointer or...or...

            Fact is I thought it was a strong statement by our team - this one will hurt them for a long time but it doesn't hurt me that much because I think I saw the players of this team do a lot of good things.  It has made me very excited for the next three games as we play our entire division in three weeks...plenty of work ahead and hopefully it will pay rich rewards with the performances we showed by several folks today.  I put Thomas on the list of those who played well and won't deserve the guilt he feels.